Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 10:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times

Advertisements

Sorry, tell Grandpa that idea of "pound the pavement" is a thing of the past. All they do is tell you to go apply online, they won't even look at you.

Then, when you apply online, 1000's have applied, the employer can't even open them all.

The only real way to employment is to know someone..........

Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM

43 posts, read 94,025 times
I honestly thought people on unemployment were milking it...now that I'm searching for a job and waiting months for an interview, I can see where the economy really is. It's a lot worse out there than I've ever seen it. I have always been hired for a job I've applied for within 3 weeks of submitting my resume. Its now 3 months just to get the interview, and doesn't count for the 100 resumes that haven't even made it that far.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Why would people on unemployment be "milking it?" I guess you never thought to have compassion that when people are out of work they actually have house payments, food payments, car payments, dental payments, eye doctor payments, mental health payments, cancer treatment payments, cell phone bills, electricity payments, gas payments, etc. All of which unemployment cannot pay for. You are seriously not going to think the government literally allows people to live in splendor for doing nothing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggling 408 View Post
I honestly thought people on unemployment were milking it...now that I'm searching for a job and waiting months for an interview, I can see where the economy really is. It's a lot worse out there than I've ever seen it. I have always been hired for a job I've applied for within 3 weeks of submitting my resume. Its now 3 months just to get the interview, and doesn't count for the 100 resumes that haven't even made it that far.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
People think the unemployed are lazy because of cultural stereotypes. They think of Cousin Eddie on the Chevy Chase movies who was out of work for seven years because he was holding out for a management position. Or Jimmy on Yes Dear, which airs on TBS who was out of work for several months and never bothered to look because he was happily living in his brother-in-law's guest house.

People also know just that one person and they think everyone is lazy. My step dad knows one guy that milked the system for two years, so he accuses me of not looking for work. I fill out at least three applications a day. The economy in Indiana SUCKS. In my area, there are three more retail stores closing.

Oh and I just love it when my mom, a baby boomer, always tells me the story of how my grandpa started out a $12 an hour in 1947 and she tells me I should be willing to take $7.25 an hour now, because if he can make it on $12 an hour in 1947 I should be able to make ends meet on $7.25 an hour in 2011. Okay, that makes ZERO sense at all. I would be thrilled with $12.00 an hour now though even though $12.00 an hour now was more like $6.00 an hour in 1947.

I have actually applied for retail jobs anyway because I would love to get out of the house. I always get, "if you have a college degree, why are you applying for a job that only pays $7.50 an hour?" or "you won't stay long will you?"
it's way, way worse than that, actually...

12 bucks an hour in '47 was a lot of money.

today's $12.00 would be the equivalent of about a buck-twenty five in 1947.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:
I wrote a post earlier offering 3 reasons why people still cling to this belief. Denial, fear, and arrogance. Denial that the world isn't fair. Fear that you could do everything right and still end up unemployed. And arrogance in thinking you're better than someone else because you have a job and they don't. People who have jobs find it easy to judge those who don't because they cling to the idea that they work harder and are therefore more deserving. It's only when it happens to them that they suddenly change their attitude about the unemployed.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I wrote a post earlier offering 3 reasons why people still cling to this belief. Denial, fear, and arrogance. Denial that the world isn't fair. Fear that you could do everything right and still end up unemployed. And arrogance in thinking you're better than someone else because you have a job and they don't. People who have jobs find it easy to judge those who don't because they cling to the idea that they work harder and are therefore more deserving. It's only when it happens to them that they suddenly change their attitude about the unemployed.
Absolutely. If possible, it's better not to tell family, friends and anyone PERIOD that you're unemployed and getting UI benefits, food stamps, welfare, whatever. Because you know once they find out, that's when the judging starts. The questions, the gossip, and all the negativity associated with the stigma start. I'm not currently in a relationship but if I was, I would have to hide that I'm unemployed and getting assistance. Because of all the stigma attached to being unemployed and getting help, the smart thing to do is just keep it private. Nobody needs to know. It's nobody's business.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Absolutely. If possible, it's better not to tell family, friends and anyone PERIOD that you're unemployed and getting UI benefits, food stamps, welfare, whatever. Because you know once they find out, that's when the judging starts. The questions, the gossip, and all the negativity associated with the stigma start.
There's no shortage of people who'll pass judgment whenever something bad happens to you. Lost your job? Oh you must've been lazy. Wife filed for divorce? Oh I bet you were a lousy husband. Got cancer? Well it's probably cause you don't take good care of yourself. Notice how quick people are to blame you. Now, I'm all for taking personal responsibility. If you lose your job, your marriage crumbles, or you get sick, then you should start by asking yourself what you could've done differently to prevent it. But at the same time, I realize that sometimes bad things just happen no matter what we do. The people who are quick to make assumptions do so, in part, because of their own fears. Take the issue of divorce. Suppose you're happily married. You tell yourself that, unlike everyone else's marriage, yours will last. Then someone you know says they're getting a divorce. Up until then, they seemed like the perfect couple. Now you start to worry that you could be next. Never mind how ridiculous it is to start thinking divorce is some random event that just hits you. But the fact that you're afraid might compel you to judge them in order to reassure yourself that your marriage isn't in any danger. It's the same with unemployment. The people who have jobs are worried they might lose theirs. In order to cope with that anxiety, they tell themselves the unemployed are lazy and therefore deserved what they got. And as long as I work hard, I have nothing to worry about. Fear and denial all rolled into one.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
"Sounds like something Denny Crane would say." I love that TV show. William Shatner, James Spader...don't know why they scrapped it off.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,777 times
Quote:
I mean it is ridiculas to think that getting $187 or max $200 or $300 I believe, per week is milking the govt when you paid taxes out of your paycheck for UI when you worked and try living off of that amount when you have to pay rent etc. I did and lost my apt, as most of us live in high rent cities. It reminds me of the idiot Republican senator of whom I cannot remember who voted to deny extended UI benefits in December to the unemployed, saying the people were lazy. All the while his lazy butt was making god knows how much voting against and for stupid laws!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
Isn't your first sentance a bit judgemental?
No, it is a fact.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment