Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times

Advertisements

Dazeddude8: It's bad enough when retired people in their 70's start harping on the old "go over there in person and hand in a resume" nonsense, but it's really annoying when people who are being PAID to offer career advise are still trotting out this worn-out concept.

When I was laid off, all of the condemned engineers were given outplacement services by the corporation through a 3rd party company. Aside from resume-writing tips, most of it was useless. It was particularly surreal to see guys in their 30's or 40's telling a room full of engineers to "pound the pavement" and "go to the places you want to work and hand them a resume." This was a room full of defense contractors in 2010... you don't walk into a defense company and hand anyone your resume - you don't even get past security?! I suspect the same is true at any commercial engineering firm, too. Geez... makes you wonder what those "outplacement support councilers" were doing to earn their paycheck - get with the times! It's not 1980 anymore.

Oh, the "get a job anywhere" thing is funny, too. Uh, no... Walmart is not going to hire an engineer to mop the floor or something. That's not the way the world works. Similarly, one can apply for entry-level positions in one's field (if they exist), but those go first to the young people since younger = cheaper. Hey, I'd rather work for a starting engineer's wage than no wage at all!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM

382 posts, read 804,587 times
I keep hearing the same trend. "I am over qualified for the jobs out there." Out of curiosity, those of you who fit this criteria. What is the next step??? Do you all have a Plan B??? How much longer do you think people are going to entertain extended unemployment benefits???

Old 05-28-2012, 09:52 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
eh plan B for me is to go back to school and try to get a 2nd degree in something that is a bit more marketable. Honestly Id rather just be working full time than head back to school but it is what it is.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Walmart is not going to hire an engineer to mop the floor or something. !
The one 15 miles from me has hired ex accountants, buyers, and engineers from a plant I once worked at >10 years ago, that had a major layoff. None were hired above the level of a small dept. supervisor, a few were hired as clerks.

Starbucks has hired an enormous amount of college grads.

So while neither will fill 90% of their roles this way, to say "they won't (hire any) is inaccurate.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:26 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
On a slightly related note you hear the same thing from people who say "Go in person give them your resume personally, request to sit down and talk with the boss the hirining manger etc..."

Ya cheif good luck with that, you will be promptly told "Apply online, everything is online" , so you go home apply online and hear nothing back...

I am sorry but the days of meeting in person, hand delvering the resume, actually talking to a person and discussing your resume- if not already, it has gone the way of the vcr and cassete player-

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM

93 posts, read 170,374 times
tell me about it, geeze, it's not like we people are not willing to work 8 dollars an hour, but even then there is a lot of competition for those jobs

Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
I was unemployed for a while. Now that I work 100 hours a week, I look back and think. I could have went to the dollar store, bought bags of fruit, took a cooler, some dry ice and sold each piece of fruit for 50c to a buck. I could have made bank, but I wonder if I would have been arrested for running an illegal business or because I didn't have a food handler card.. lol

Lazy? Nah. Just not lucky enough. My buddy that was laid off with a group of us found a job pretty quick while some took a year to find anything. I took $8 an hour for 6 months to still not find anything. It took almost 2 years for me to find the jobs im at now.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
Yea? Let me tell you what lazy is.There are plenty of lazy employed people. I see plenty of lazy workers where I work as a temp right now. I work for a city agency. These workers take an hour and a half lunch. Or 2 hours. All on the company dime..and our tax dollars. They make too many personal calls on the job during the working shift. They complain and whine about every little thing and constantly use profanity for no reason. I see that temps work twice as hard as these bums who exist solely on the people's tax dollars. These losers are private sector rejects. After being a temp for the city for 6 months, you couldn't pay me a million to work side by side on a permanent job with these moron losers. Seriously.

All of the unemployed friends I know are always busy. They take care of family or parents. They are super busy job searching, interviewing and researching companies. Nobody whines like a baby.Nobody takes 2 hour lunches.

Some of laziest people I've ever seen have been (gov't) employees and their bosses.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
Even when I worked in the private sector, before the recession, some of the laziest people I've seen were employees not the unemployed. Especially managers and C-level execs. Some of those C's were handicapped without their assistants and "gophers." They were a joke. I've worked next to some lazy private sector people too. They are spoiled at their job, with all those fringe benefits and other "goodies." Once they become unemployed though, they sober up quick and realize what a good thing they had.

And I personally , in my life at least, don't know any unemployed person who is "lazy" or a spoiled whiner. Of course there's plenty of them. I stay away from those. There is no way anyone with half a brain can live it up on unemployment or public assistance while being unemployed. You have to be a scammer or a criminals who is skilled at your trade for that to occur.

So anybody who insists the unemployed are all lazy is brainwashed. Or seriously retarded.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Yea? Let me tell you what lazy is.There are plenty of lazy employed people..
You got that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment