Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sadly, too many people until they are in a certain situation have no empathy for others.

I have a neighbor whose 28 yr old son took his own life last year. She told me so called "friends" have told her to "get over it".

Whether it is unemployment, serious illness, or the death of a family member it is amazing how many people are clueless and insensitive.

Until it happens to them.
When my parents died, I was pretty happy about it, actually.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:50 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When my parents died, I was pretty happy about it, actually.
That's pathetic.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:00 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
That's pathetic.
Yeah, but it explains a lot.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:35 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Well best of luck, hopefully the new year and slowly improving economy will bring you good fortune and a nice job.
Thanks! Actually a good chance I got the job I interviewed for last week... the library director called my references on Thursday-Friday (one of them told me she called), and they don't bother with that unless you're a top candidate. I'm expecting a call from her tomorrow, so I'll let you know what happens.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
I can't imagine anyone actually judging a person by their employment status. Jobs come and jobs go, sometimes employers have to reduce staff etc.

I could see judging someone if you knew specifics concerning their employment status like they quit in a huff over something stupid etc.
Unfortunately, I can imagine such a person because I run into them all the time. It's easy to make assumptions about people you don't know. It's a lot harder to take the time to hear their story. And they judge for the very reasons I laid out earlier. Denial, arrogance, and fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Whether it is unemployment, serious illness, or the death of a family member it is amazing how many people are clueless and insensitive.
This is because a lot of people think their problems are bigger than everyone else's. You being out of work and on the verge of losing your home isn't nearly as bad as my being rich and potentially having to pay a higher income tax.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Whenever someone employs the "I know a guy" claim to support their argument, I tend to think less of them.
Whenever I see the “I know a guy” assertion I do not believe anything and everything said or mentioned beyond that point as unsubstantiated, made-up BS nonsense completely lacking any credibility. For one thing I don’t even know you so why am I expected to believe anything you say from some, likely made up, unknown third party?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
I agree, usually the "I know a guy" arguments can easily be refuted by someone on the other side knowing a different guy.
So true. Makes you wonder who all these "other guys" are.

Quote:
On topic - I can't imagine anyone actually judging a person by their employment status. Jobs come and jobs go, sometimes employers have to reduce staff etc.

I could see judging someone if you knew specifics concerning their employment status like they quit in a huff over something stupid etc.
Right. A job is what you do, not who you are.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,475 times
Today I got in a conversation online with what I thought was a pretty good friend of 5 years who is a 23 year old who has always lived at home and only has an Associates degree so far in college. I am 28 and was laid off 11 months ago from a steady job I enjoyed (though it was boring) The 23 year old told me I need to get off the government $ and get a job. I told him the $ coming from my unemployment mostly comes from my last employer that laid me off. Strike 1..

Then he told me I should go back to school and go into something more lucrative.. I went to school for mass communications/public relations. I really enjoy working in projects that are related to this and want to go big with it. Besides, I am paying around $250 a month now back in student loans.. I have a hunch his parents are paying his tution.. Has anyone also noticed that usually the big fields that promise to have a great future in them usually flame out after a few years also? For example, 5-8 years ago, people were basically told if they just became CNA certified, they could make tons of money, have tons of off time, and have a career for life.. I know tons of unemployed people who have medical experience.. Strike 2

He made it sound like I've had almost a year off but nothing and fun.. Truth be told, I was placed in a temporary staffing agency. Ive worked 3 assignments (that lasted around 1-2 weeks each) and with 2 of the assignments I made less $ working than I did on the unemployment. And I worked a freelance position for a few days not related to the staffing agency.. I guess I am lazy now for tiring of working for less $ than I did while on unemployment.. Strike 3..

To say the least, I am not going to talk to this child again.. He may be 23 and an adult legally, but I am in shock someone would say this to me period.. His views and others completely made me think much of America still thinks like this. Do they not realize what the world has become? Is it easy because their parents or spouses bring home most the bacon and they get a free ride so those of us who paid to go to college and worked hard and pay back for it now are lazy while they are perfect because it works for them?

The good news about all this is, that I was just given motivation now to succeed even more down the road. I suggest you all try to do the same.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
You're always going to find people who are out of touch. I knew a guy in college who assumed that anyone who didn't go to college was just lazy. Sure that's easy for him to say. His parents were paying for his tuition and living expenses. He worked, but the money he made was for him, not for things like rent or groceries. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who might've wanted to go to college, but they couldn't afford it. Or maybe circumstances prevented them from doing so. Going back to school after you've lost your job isn't easy either. Not only do you have to pay for classes, you still have living. Most people who are out of work are living off of savings. Even with unemployment, there just isn't enough money to go back to school, unless you're talking about community college.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I realize that private companies are not social service agencies but I think this bias against the unemployed is ridiculous especially during the type of economic downturn we've been having.
Did you read the transcript, or listen to it?
I thought it was a real eye opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment