Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Honestly I think it is outstanding that you're content with your lot, many would be much more frustrated if they didn't have the skills and/or intellectual capacity to do anything but manual labor.
He has the intellectual capacity to do other jobs, but he thinks intellectual jobs don't count as work. He lives the way he does by choice. He's not motivated by money. I don't care about making a lot of money, but I at least want to do a job I enjoy that pays a decent living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Yeah, but it explains a lot.
TK has posted before about his bad childhood, so that's probably why he was happy when his parents died. His bad childhood must be why he is the way he is.

Last edited by city_data91; 12-22-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,818 times
Folks who grew up under the spectre of the Great Depression didn't have the same structure and rigid set of rules that we have nowadays in the employment arena.
Think about it.
Back then you could just go into a place of business and ask if any help was needed and they may actually hire you for a day to get something done and pay you in cash(or even food).
Today that is called a day laborer, and it is usually an illegal alien, and if not then you have to go to Labor Finders or Labor Ready or somewhere like that and get hired through them. And getting paid under the table is OK till the IRS comes around or till you get cheated. With I-9, workers comp, and other liabilities, very few companies are gonna legally hire someone for a day.
Also, back then how many businesses did background and credit checks?
I'm willing to bet maybe 1%?
Heck, how many even made you fill out an application?
Temp agencies are one advantage we have today, but everyone knows they are sleazy and corrupt, so is it really an advantage?
My Dad (RIP) and Mom were born in 1928 and 1933 respectively. My Dad was from northern Maine and Mom was from central NC. Both from small towns & very meager backgrounds. Tough times were the norm. My Dad was in the Army 26 years and fought in Korea (1951-52) and Vietnam (1965-66, 67, 70). My Mom worked in textile mills and sewing factories starting at age 16. They both were married before and had kids from those marriages also.
So I can see how older folks might laugh a little when our generation talks about "tough times", but they worked hard so we wouldn't have to go through what they did.
My point is let's not let generational or class differences keep working people from focussing on how the government, banks, and corporations have screwed over the middle class!

Last edited by roncorey1; 12-22-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 AM

131 posts, read 300,380 times
Sadly, what compounds this matter even more is that many businesses refuse to hire those that are currently unemployed as thought it is some sort of stigma - that if you were valuable at your last job, they would not have let you go. Many people who get laid off from a company can be a casualty of just not being personally liked by current management.

Best of luck to those who find themselves unemployed and desperate to find work.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Sadly, what compounds this matter even more is that many businesses refuse to hire those that are currently unemployed as thought it is some sort of stigma - that if you were valuable at your last job, they would not have let you go. Many people who get laid off from a company can be a casualty of just not being personally liked by current management.

Best of luck to those who find themselves unemployed and desperate to find work.
I agree.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,058 times
People think that because people are IGNORANT and insensitive. I can never understand why so many people are so judgemental. How people come up with unemployment and being lazy is beyond me. In this economy where there are so few jobs? No wonder people are killing themselves. Americans are so judgemental anyway. The only time it stops is when the thing they judge happens to them.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:53 PM

22 posts, read 38,676 times
Default America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
People think that because people are IGNORANT and insensitive. I can never understand why so many people are so judgemental. How people come up with unemployment and being lazy is beyond me. In this economy where there are so few jobs? No wonder people are killing themselves. Americans are so judgemental anyway. The only time it stops is when the thing they judge happens to them.
Totally agree.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 38,676 times
Ignorance and arrogance are the two biggest problems with America today. Either of those qualities is annoying, but the combination of the two (which many Americans seem to have) is lethal. The current environment is a breeding ground for bullies. I don't know when or even if this Festival of Ignorance will end, but I'd much rather be a wise and compassionate victim than ANYBODY else's bully.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,921 times
Quote:
People think that because people are IGNORANT and insensitive. I can never understand why so many people are so judgemental.
Isn't your first sentance a bit judgemental?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 AM

131 posts, read 300,380 times
Quote:
Totally agree. But, as most people can tell you who have been employed by the corporate world - the most important thing is to be personally liked by mgmt (and to have, at the least, a basic competency for your job). I have seen many people who, while they had very impressive skills in the workplace, they had a personality that gave one douche chills and when the first rounds of layoffs occurred, they were the first ones out the door (leaving behind less competent, but more well regarded by mgmt, employees).

Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Totally agree. But, as most people can tell you who have been employed by the corporate world - the most important thing is to be personally liked by mgmt (and to have, at the least, a basic competency for your job). I have seen many people who, while they had very impressive skills in the workplace, they had a personality that gave one douche chills and when the first rounds of layoffs occurred, they were the first ones out the door (leaving behind less competent, but more well regarded by mgmt, employees).
I agree. I've worked in office settings before and I really dislike "office politics". They would fire the hardest working people and keep the ones who didn't work as hard b/c they knew the boss better. Oh, and God forbid you correct them on something their kids did wrong. Gotta love nepotism .

My question is why do employers still pull the office politics bs? Why do they fell as though they have to treat people like crap when happier employees actually increase productivity and revenue? Why not give the employees some feeling of power and treat them like they are important instead of replaceable? The jobs I worked at with bosses who were more laid back and treated their employees with respect and friendship had a lot more productivity and loyalty than the offices I've worked at with harsher limits and little interaction between upper management and the employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment