Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,218,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
W
I feel it important to actually WORK for a living instead of sitting on my rear behind a desk--because that isn't work.
Honestly I think it is outstanding that you're content with your lot, many would be much more frustrated if they didn't have the skills and/or intellectual capacity to do anything but manual labor.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,856,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, that list pretty much sums it up! I'd also add "limited personal experience" to that, since many people know ONE unemployed lazy person, and assume everyone else is the same. We often hear stories like "my brother-in-law hasn't worked in 2 years, sits on his butt playing video games, and only started looking for work when his UI ran out" - and then they go on to compare ALL unemployed folks to their BIL, when he obviously doesn't represent everyone.
Meh, same as those who "know so many" people abusing the welfare system.........from which they extrapolate that ALL welfare recipients are devious lowlifes. Strangely enough they have loads of excuses for why they don't report their friends/relatives though

ETA: Most of the ue "bashers" seem to have VERY limited knowledge of how the system actually works re job search requirements etc, not to mention the eligibilty requirements in the first place. They prefer to think the ue are just sitting on their duffs collecting "free money" - sigh

Looking for a job is WAY harder than actually just getting up every day to go to work that's for damned sure.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 AM

30,415 posts, read 52,044,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Meh, same as those who "know so many" people abusing the welfare system.........from which they extrapolate that ALL welfare recipients are devious lowlifes. Strangely enough they have loads of excuses for why they don't report their friends/relatives though
Totally... as somebody just said on another thread, "they're making the exception the rule and vice versa." I think I'll steal that as one of my new mantras.

Quote:
ETA: Most of the ue "bashers" seem to have VERY limited knowledge of how the system actually works re job search requirements etc, not to mention the eligibilty requirements in the first place. They prefer to think the ue are just sitting on their duffs collecting "free money" - sigh

Looking for a job is WAY harder than actually just getting up every day to go to work that's for damned sure.
Very true, and it's also more of an emotional roller coaster... searching, applying, interviewing, waiting for the call, facing rejection after rejection, constantly worrying about bills, etc. I'd SO much rather just get up every day, and know where I'm going and how much I'll earn. Ahhhhh, those were the days.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:12 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,218,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Very true, and it's also more of an emotional roller coaster... searching, applying, interviewing, waiting for the call, facing rejection after rejection, constantly worrying about bills, etc. I'd SO much rather just get up every day, and know where I'm going and how much I'll earn. Ahhhhh, those were the days.
Well best of luck, hopefully the new year and slowly improving economy will bring you good fortune and a nice job.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:39 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,750,125 times
Here’s something I heard the other day about the long term unemployed. Something to think about.

The Hard Truth: Companies Don't Hire Unemployed : NPR

Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,051,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Here’s something I heard the other day about the long term unemployed. Something to think about.

The Hard Truth: Companies Don't Hire Unemployed : NPR
I realize that private companies are not social service agencies but I think this bias against the unemployed is ridiculous especially during the type of economic downturn we've been having.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,488,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantalife View Post
I really cannot stand people in their 70s who have NO IDEA what this recession is like for those of us out of work and without 'aid' of any kind. My aunt and uncle who are both in their early 70s tell me I am just lazy and need to put on my suit and start knocking on doors like THEY DID in 1960 and I will get a job.

They raise a family on one income. Times are tough and I am trying like **** to find a job. Meanwhile they tut-tut and say to me get myself down to McDonalds or do ANYTHING to earn money.

Can anyone else relate?
Why are people like this? Lack of compassion, lack of empathy, and in general they are just jerks.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,686,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Why are people like this? Lack of compassion, lack of empathy, and in general they are just jerks.

Sadly, too many people until they are in a certain situation have no empathy for others.

I have a neighbor whose 28 yr old son took his own life last year. She told me so called "friends" have told her to "get over it".

Whether it is unemployment, serious illness, or the death of a family member it is amazing how many people are clueless and insensitive.

Until it happens to them.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 PM

935 posts, read 2,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
There are many reasons. Some grew up during a time in which they successfully worked their way up and expect others to do the same without any help (even though these times are far different). Others think the less money that's spread around, the more money they get. Some believe that only the strong survive and unemployment means everyone else is lazy. Basically, everything you mentioned as well.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,791,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sadly, too many people until they are in a certain situation have no empathy for others.

I have a neighbor whose 28 yr old son took his own life last year. She told me so called "friends" have told her to "get over it".

Whether it is unemployment, serious illness, or the death of a family member it is amazing how many people are clueless and insensitive.

Until it happens to them.
Once again , beautifully spoken seain dublin

Are employers so cold-hearted that they have no room for 15 million long term unemployed ?

Their time will come one day where no-one will want to work for such a cold based company. Right now they have the leverage but someday they will look back at all the jobless they turned away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment