Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
sounds like a crappy firm
The alleged career counselor has nothing more to say? One would think that your professional experience would enable you to come up with something more than an unpunctuated four words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 10:31 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Really. I know this firm, I know most of them in the area, and the attorneys. This firm is doing well. There is no excuse for them to be so cheap, but they have a high turnover. They advertised for a paralegal, too. The position pays $8.25 an hour. No benefits.
Something must be seriously wrong with the system for employers to pay for paralegals that amount.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Considering the poor economy and job forecast in this area, and the unlikelihood of decent paying jobs for people even with college degrees, the career counselor advised me to take my civil service exams. I was considering doing that as a last resort, if nothing else came up. I feel like it is a contribution to "big government", and he presented it as a scenario of "low work load, lots of vacation time, good benefits." That sounds very attractive, but I do not want to nurse off the t**t of the Obama stimulus package. (No, I did make faces when that name was brought up). I also have an interview lined up this week, at the assisted living center I applied to. A friend's father, who recently retired there after 30 years, gave me a recommendation to supplement my application. Also, they said my notary certification is a plus. They have a notary on premises, but a backup is good to have. From what he said, it is a pleasant place to work, they are constantly expanding, they are always hiring, no patient care is involved, and the pay is a lot better than the office positions I have applied for. Also, it is a 10 minute drive from my house. The position is part time, but it will give me ample time to investigate making money from my gardens.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Focus on what is needed in your community, and apply your strengths and skills directly to those needs. Participate in your local politics to create jobs.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
So what's left, selling drugs, hit man, loan shark, pimping yourself, selling organs? I can go to Eastern Europe or China and do all that and probably make more money.
The drug addicts in Eastern Europe are almost non-existent! In Romania there are only 35.000. (in a 22 million country) (most of them use marijuana and 25.000 of them are in Bucharest (the capital). The chances to meet one in other cities are close to 0).
You won't do very well doing that!
But you can go and do a job in manufacturing or accounting or other fields because the wages are not that bad, the cost of living is low and the quality of life is great (really great).
If they would give me my swiss salary to stay there I'll move in a second! Otherwise staying there 3-6 months/year is ok. Anyway... I seriously consider moving from Switzerland in Romania in the near future and open a business because the country is so beautiful and there are so many opportunities that only a stupid person won't do it! Here and here are some photos of the city I lived in. So yeah... moving in Eastern Europe (Romania or Poland because I don't know about the other countries) is a smart thing to do! At least you'll have a better life than in US.
If I lived in US I would probably tried Mexico or Brazil but those are not as developed as Eastern Europe and there is some crime (actually from what I read in the press or internet the crime is a problem in Americas) but the potential is bigger!

Last edited by MilkDrinker; 10-24-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 11:51 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The drug addicts in Eastern Europe are almost non-existent! In Romania there are only 35.000. (in a 22 million country) (most of them use marijuana and 25.000 of them are in Bucharest (the capital). The chances to meet one in other cities are close to 0).
You won't do very well doing that!
But you can go and do a job in manufacturing or accounting or other fields because the wages are not that bad, the cost of living is low and the quality of life is great (really great).
If they would give me my swiss salary to stay there I'll move in a second! Otherwise staying there 3-6 months/year is ok. Anyway... I seriously consider moving from Switzerland in Romania in the near future and open a business because the country is so beautiful and there are so many opportunities that only a stupid person won't do it! Here and here are some photos of the city I lived in. So yeah... moving in Eastern Europe (Romania or Poland because I don't know about the other countries) is a smart thing to do! At least you'll have a better life than in US.
If I lived in US I would probably tried Mexico or Brazil but those are not as developed as Eastern Europe and there is some crime (actually from what I read in the press or internet the crime is a problem in Americas) but the potential is bigger!
Stop the propaganda. Eastern Europe is a shthole. It's like Flint, Michigan combined with West Virginia and vodka.

The male life expectancy in Eastern Europe is 10-20 years shorter than the US.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Stop the propaganda. Eastern Europe is a shthole. It's like Flint, Michigan combined with West Virginia and vodka.

The male life expectancy in Eastern Europe is 10-20 years shorter than the US.
You better start reading a book and go to school! Eastern Europe is not Russia (and even if it was your generalization is pure ignorance)
Michigan, West Virginia and all the US can't compare with E. Europe when it comes to culture, history, tradition, quality of life, scenery and so on!
Unlike you I lived in US for 6 months and maybe I'll be there next year again and it was horrible! (awful quality of life, awful scenery for a country that big, high crime and so on).
The life expectancy is lower because people don't care about their life. They're not obsessed to go to doctors, eat healthy and so on! The live for the moment! Then the differences between those who live in the rural areas and those who live in the cities are huge! Those in the country side have to work their land all day long and don't have everything that those in the cities have. But at least they eat healthy (only organic... that's the norm in E. Europe), have a great air quality, they're self sufficient and no one bothers them...

Last edited by MilkDrinker; 10-24-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Unlike you I lived in US for 6 months and maybe I'll be there next year again and it was horrible! (awful quality of life, awful scenery for a country that big, high crime and so on).
So, the grand canyon, the white mountains, the Rockies, the south west deserts, the red woods, are awful scenery? lol geesh.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
When the Republican Utopia arrives we won't have Minimum Wage, Child Labor Laws, Social Security, Medicare or Workmans Comp, you'll be able to clean the elites bathrooms seven days a week for slave wages.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
When the Republican Utopia arrives we won't have Minimum Wage, Child Labor Laws, Social Security, Medicare or Workmans Comp, you'll be able to clean the elites bathrooms seven days a week for slave wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment