Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 AM

470 posts, read 1,037,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Creative, but seems pretty inefficient. Seems like it would work if you have broad skills or non very specific skills.

I mean, I can only imagine how long it would take for me to find someone in the obits who is a project manager, etc.
Or just looking for a job, any job. Once you have a job, then it becomes easier to be more specific about what you want. It's like marrying the homely girl to get the supermodel to stalk you. Employers don't want to hire someone who is unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
People can never be replaced.
Not to be a smartass in all seriousness - but have you been sleeping the past 20 - 30 years? Robotics and computers have replaced MANY people. Just look at the automaker industry. Where once several people painted cars using a hand held sprayer, it is now done by robotics.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Not to be a smartass in all seriousness - but have you been sleeping the past 20 - 30 years? Robotics and computers have replaced MANY people. Just look at the automaker industry. Where once several people painted cars using a hand held sprayer, it is now done by robotics.
Not to be a smartass but there are more than just auto manufacturing jobs in the US.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Is this tactic too aggressive? I've been contacting employers I know that have lost older workers unexpectedly trying to get the jump on a job vacancy before they are advertised. I've got one interview out of it so far, but I was way underqualified for the position that was open.

Go for it. Can't hurt.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Not to be a smartass but there are more than just auto manufacturing jobs in the US.
Oh, please, come on, I said, 'just look at' meaning as an example. Look at bookkeeping and administrative positions as another example. What used to take several people now is multi-tasked by one person. A sales force of 12 is cut to 6 with the advent of cell phones, faxes and computers. More and more work is done by less and less people due to technology - it's in every field. Even the dude who used to have to stand in front of the fry machine and not move at McDonald's has been replaced by automated technology.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Oh, please, come on, I said, 'just look at' meaning as an example. Look at bookkeeping and administrative positions as another example. What used to take several people now is multi-tasked by one person. A sales force of 12 is cut to 6 with the advent of cell phones, faxes and computers. More and more work is done by less and less people due to technology - it's in every field. Even the dude who used to have to stand in front of the fry machine and not move at McDonald's has been replaced by automated technology.
Absolutely. The copy typist was replaced by the photocopier. The printing press has been replaced by printers. Film developers were replaced by digital camera technology (never mind the guys who worked at the film factory). Tax preparers are being replaced by software. The bank teller was replaced by the ATM. The video store guy replaced by Netflix and Redbox. Photoshop replaced in house graphic artists for the simpler jobs. Cashiers are being replaced by self check outs. Logistics coordinators have been replaced by computer programs. Sales people are being replaced by the internet. Operators were replaced by automated exchanges. Giant farms can be run by a staff of 3. Receptionists are a dying breed, now there is a telephone at the entrance with a call list. Cranberry harvests used to employ hundreds for weeks, now 10 people can do the whole thing in a single weekend. On and on.

And yes. McDonalds now cooks the food off-site and it is only microwaved in the stores, in the interest of having it all taste the same. Even high end restaurants are doing it - Gordon Ramseys place does something similar.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Well 76 million Baby Boomers exiting the workforce over the next 20 years is certainly going to create a lot of jobs and I feel I'm at ground zero of the Boomer die off and am looking for every opportunity I can to capitalize on the jobs they are leaving behind.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Well 76 million Baby Boomers exiting the workforce over the next 20 years is certainly going to create a lot of jobs and I feel I'm at ground zero of the Boomer die off and am looking for every opportunity I can to capitalize on the jobs they are leaving behind.
A great many of these people are 'asked' to take early retirement as well. It recently happened to a friend of mine.

Additionally, when the obit says so and so worked or xyz corporation for 15 years it doesn't necessarily mean he/she was still working there at the time they died.

Last edited by Thursday007; 12-31-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,587 times
Quote:
Why are you so focussed on the Boomers? You mention them at every turn.
The Boomers vary in age from the sixties down to the forties. I would say a lot of them aren't going to die for a very long time and considering they didn't appear to all plan well for retirement, may well be working for a long time.

You might want to plan your career around something more than just hoping someone else dies or takes early retirement. Ignore the Boomers and get on with your own life.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
I just took a quick look at the local obits. I don't think I could figure out what job or where the person was working at when they died in pretty much every one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment