Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM

126 posts, read 724,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
[snipped] ... so being well dressed would not make a difference as long as they did dress well for the interview, if they applied and were invited to one. Even so, most were dressed well, in business attire
though not suits.
If I were to go to a job fair, I would definitely dress up;
maybe not in a suit, but at least nice slacks, button-down
and a tie. It's quite possible you're talking to the same
folks who will do your first interview, so for me, I'd want
to make a good first impression.

I know - some folks might reply to this with, "they talk
with so many folks, it's doubtful they'll remember you
at interview time" ... personally, I'd not want to take
the chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
This was in Florida. I think the labor market is bad enough here without putting yourself at a disadvantage by looking like those people do.

I'm not suggesting everyone dress to the nines for a job fair, but no company wants to hire someone who is obviously too lazy to take some stock in themselves.
Thank you. I'm not surprised.

People are "different" in FL.

One woman brought a toddler in a stroller.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
I think the point is many people think like you and do not care about dress, and the advice here is to sensible people to not fall into this trap, and rather remain above the masses.

Nobody is trying to solve the unemployment problem in this thread.
Well I have a job, and wore a suit to my interview. But it was 5 1/2 years ago.

Even if everyone dressed up, we'd still have everyone pictured in that picture out of work. No matter if they wore suits or not. The only difference is you'd have the banks writing off a lot of credit card debt that can't be paid as people put new suits on their CC's.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM

I think some people are missing the point. You make a nice appearance.

For example a man needs to wear a shirt with a collar and a pair of slacks. Just because you're unemployed doesn't mean your clothes to turn to rags in your closet.

It also is good mentally for someone who has been out of work to get a little dressed up and get themselves out there.

I'm currently in FL(this job fair was in Tampa/St.Pete) area and I will tell you ANYTIME I see photos or job fairs on the news, MOST of the people are dressed in t-shirts/shorts or jeans.

Yes FL is hot and humid most of the year, but it is in the 50s and 60s now during the day. No excuse to dress like that.

Been here 3 yrs and I notice either an apathy or lack of knowledge in how to dress properly. I have seen people come into medical facilities looking for CNA positions dressed in shorts and a tube top.

Yes, job fairs for the most part are a waste of time, but on the chance that it might be beneficial, dress properly.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM

536 posts, read 1,430,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, job fairs for the most part are a waste of time, but on the chance that it might be beneficial, dress properly.
Exactly. If a person feels they are a waste of time, they shouldn't go. If they go, they should do it right, which means dressed well. In this job market, give yourself every advantage.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's my question View Post
Did you notice that someone brought a baby to the Job Fair in the picture?
I know someone who actually brought their baby to a fast food restaurant once so she could get a job. They originally did not want to hire her b/c of her weight, but they saw the little girl and hired her b/c they felt sorry for her. She's one of the hardest workers there.

Personally, I try to dress up as much as possible when going to these job fairs. However, I was lucky enough to have gotten a few suits donated to me or I was lucky enough to have bought a few nice suits on sale. Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky. I believe we should dress up nice if possible, but I also believe that businesses should not fault a guy/girl who has 7 years experience and/or graduated top of the class from a great school just because they could not afford a three piece suit.

The way I see it is this: Employers should work with potential employees, not against them, and vice versa. Those people should wear nicer clothes, but at the same time employers shouldn't fault people just b/c they're not wearing a suit. Oh, and if employers expect potential employees to wear a suit then they sure as heck better go to the job fair wearing a suit as well!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,176 times
I had one hiring manager come 15 minutes late to the interview appointment wearing a sweatshirt, jeans and sneakers. I was wondering, was he just playing basketball with his buddies? Of course, I had a navy pantsuit on. SO THAT RULE GOES BOTH WAYS. Needless to say, I sent him a thank you email the same day. I never heard back from him again; not even an email rejection letter. And when I saw the clothes and that he was late, I kind of expected that it would be a waste of my time.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:05 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,770,228 times
Job fairs are such a waste of time it wouldn't make any difference if one attended in the nude, except that you would get arrested for public nudity (unless said job fair were on a nudist beach).

Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,176 times
Without a doubt, total waste of time - and money as it costs to get there and back. I think they just mine resumes, talk to people to gage what candidates are looking for in terms of salary, and collect resumes to account in front of their HR bosses that they're "gainfully" earning their salary. It's total B.S.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I know someone who actually brought their baby to a fast food restaurant once so she could get a job. They originally did not want to hire her b/c of her weight, but they saw the little girl and hired her b/c they felt sorry for her. She's one of the hardest workers there.

Personally, I try to dress up as much as possible when going to these job fairs. However, I was lucky enough to have gotten a few suits donated to me or I was lucky enough to have bought a few nice suits on sale. Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky. I believe we should dress up nice if possible, but I also believe that businesses should not fault a guy/girl who has 7 years experience and/or graduated top of the class from a great school just because they could not afford a three piece suit.

The way I see it is this: Employers should work with potential employees, not against them, and vice versa. Those people should wear nicer clothes, but at the same time employers shouldn't fault people just b/c they're not wearing a suit. Oh, and if employers expect potential employees to wear a suit then they sure as heck better go to the job fair wearing a suit as well!
While the employer should look presentable it is more important for the candidate. The employer already has a job.

I notice this a lot in FL, people dressing like slobs looking for work.

And it looks worse when they're overweight. I saw a picture of a woman who had to be in her late 40s(so right there is a strike) wearing a sweatshirt and shorts and sneakers. She was also heavy set.

Why even bother?

No you don't have to wear a suit, but don't look like a slob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment