Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times

Advertisements

I had a table at a recent job fair in Seattle and all we did was to talk about our business and show them the job openings listing. We wouldn't do any hiring or interviewing at the fair, so being well dressed would not make a difference as long as they did dress well for the interview, if they applied and were invited to one. Even so, most were dressed well, in business attire
though not suits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 AM

19 posts, read 25,899 times
In a previous job I worked at quite a few job fairs and were always shocked by the lack of professionalism and research on the part of the applicants. Very few men wore a coat and tie. Most resumes that were submitted were just modified employment applications with a laundry list of routine tasks and duties that did not sell the applicant effectively. After standing in line the typical candidate would blurt out something like: "Hey, you hiring?"

What they should have done instead is research the organizations that were at the Job Fair and find out what type of positons they were advertising. Then spend all their time visiting the booths of the organizations that have job openings in their career field. Then when they approach the recruiter, give them a 30 second elevator pitch desribing how they are the perfect applicant for a specific opening. AND DON"T BRING A BABY ALONG TO THE JOB FAIR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I had a table at a recent job fair in Seattle and all we did was to talk about our business and show them the job openings listing. We wouldn't do any hiring or interviewing at the fair, so being well dressed would not make a difference as long as they did dress well for the interview, if they applied and were invited to one. Even so, most were dressed well, in business attire
though not suits.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 AM

536 posts, read 1,430,303 times
Alaskan Mutt's post was good. Doesn't matter what the job is, dress nice. Be dressed better than the person interviewing you, or in this case the people at the job fair. Dress nice for a phone interview. It translates to your attitude and level of professionalism.

Some people commented these job fairs aren't interviews. Wouldn't be surprised if these people take notes on the people that impressed them most at the job fair (usually there are name tags; or business cards exchanged), and conversely notes on the people to avoid following up on, ie. the slovenly ones who parade their baby around the fair.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Job fairs are mainly a waste of time anyways. Most of the companies are there for PR to give out pens and mugs and to make HR look busy (free trip and hotel stay). The other companies (staffing agencies) are collecting resumes to pack their offices and troll for contacts. Of course there are always the for profit schools and Multilevel Marketing companies looking for desperate suckers.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Job fairs are mainly a waste of time anyways. Most of the companies are there for PR to give out pens and mugs and to make HR look busy (free trip and hotel stay). The other companies (staffing agencies) are collecting resumes to pack their offices and troll for contacts. Of course there are always the for profit schools and Multilevel Marketing companies looking for desperate suckers.
^ this

Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 AM

104 posts, read 99,644 times
Exclamation Couldn't Agree More with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
I stumbled upon an article today about a local job fair. It basically said employers had a difficult time finding candidates that matched their hiring criteria, and job-seekers had a difficult time finding employers willing to offer more than entry level pay- nothing newsworthy there. But what caught my eye was the picture they posted with the article. (See attached)

I understand people are competing for low-end jobs that may in fact be beneath them; it's the nature of this terrible job market. I also disagree with the way employers are abusing job seekers by making them jump through any number of unreasonable hoops requiring extensive experience for entry level positions, favoring recent experience over a body of experience etc.

But what I don't understand is how people expect to be taken seriously when they represent themselves the way the job seekers in this picture are. I see about 50 people in that picture, and MAYBE 2 business suits (not counting the guy with a suit jacket thrown over his tee shirt). Most of these people look like they swung by the job fair on their way home from Walmart. I even see one guy wearing a hoodie. I understand we live in a world where it's appropriate to wear jeans to everything but a court arraignment, but do people honestly think they represent themselves well by meeting potential employers wearing whatever was balled up on the floor next to their bed when they woke up?

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir; most of the people who post in this forum are here because they actually CARE about finding work, but a word to the wise: You are your own brand. Put some effort into how you represent/sell that brand if you want ANY chance of being taken seriously by employers.

Rant complete

I COULDN"T AGREE MORE!
Finally, someone who understands that. I am only 16 and I conduct myself with class and tact. I am in the Future Business Leaders of America and we learn all about how to ace and interview and conduct yourself appropriately while looking for work. And it frustrates me because I am looking for a job, while those who show up looking exactly like you described end up getting the job. I am only in highschool and the jobs I am eligible to get don't seem to care if you know the ethics of business and the workplace. This is very frustrating and disappointing for me.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM

104 posts, read 99,644 times
Default Going the EXTRA mile is necessary in this economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Alaskan Mutt's post was good. Doesn't matter what the job is, dress nice. Be dressed better than the person interviewing you, or in this case the people at the job fair. Dress nice for a phone interview. It translates to your attitude and level of professionalism.

Some people commented these job fairs aren't interviews. Wouldn't be surprised if these people take notes on the people that impressed them most at the job fair (usually there are name tags; or business cards exchanged), and conversely notes on the people to avoid following up on, ie. the slovenly ones who parade their baby around the fair.

Exactly, but people don't seem to think about this. They only want to do what they need to do when they feel they "have" to. I think you should always go the extra mile to impress and I dress nice even if I am only walking into a store to get an application. Never leave a bad impression. They don't want someone who looks like they just woke up. That says bad things about your character.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
If people are OUT of work, and have NO money, (Unemployment benefits in Florida are under $300 a week, more like $250-....) how are they supposed to pay rent? and get a sitter? those are not free!

As far as employers complaining about not finding candidates, that's simple, it is because they have unrealistic tests that people in the US will always have a hard time MATCHING because people have to switch jobs for millions of reasons here, others are forced out of work...read my other post on this HR crap (Hr be ware)...I have tons of experience and know exactly what I'm doing but I will NEVER match their computer programs/QUESTIONNAIRES which are insulting and ridiculous! Some these days don't even have a place to upload a resume! Give me a break, HR is keeping people OUT of work.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Keep in mind these same people were once employed. In America we once had 4-5% unemployment. If everyone at that job fair was "dressed for success" that would not magically create more jobs.

As much as people on here think it will (and post repeatedly), it won't solve the unemployment problem here in the US.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM

536 posts, read 1,430,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Keep in mind these same people were once employed. In America we once had 4-5% unemployment. If everyone at that job fair was "dressed for success" that would not magically create more jobs.

As much as people on here think it will (and post repeatedly), it won't solve the unemployment problem here in the US.
I think the point is many people think like you and do not care about dress, and the advice here is to sensible people to not fall into this trap, and rather remain above the masses.

Nobody is trying to solve the unemployment problem in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment