Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
I could see holding a job fair at a mall might catch some people passing by on other business, but this one was held in a convention center. Here's the link:
Thousands jam job fair in downtown St. Pete - St. Petersburg Times

Again, I understand the jobs out there may actually be beneath the job seekers, and I reiterate my position against the way HR treat canditates; but I don't think leaving the hooded sweatshirt at home in favor of something a little more appropriate for the adult world qualifies someone as a corporate coolaid-drinker.

I'm not saying anyone needs to change their mind if they disagree with me.

I can only speak for myself, but when I looked at the picture I developed an opinion about those people. Whether that opinion is accurate or not doesn't really matter; I just suggest that people keep in mind recruiters/HR folks/employers in general are forming the same opinions based on appearance. Given the state of the job market I would hate to think something as simple as the way I looked got between me and my ability to find work- especially if my professional qualifications made me competitive.
The bottom line is dress nicely if you go to a job fair. For people making excuses like "I can't spend money on clothes", if you were working in an office environment you have clothes in your closet. They don't turn to rags because you're unemployed.

And these people weren't just passing through. The only thing going on and the only reason to be there was for the job fair.

I wasn't surprised it was in FL. Which is why I asked the OP where it was.

I don't know what it is down here, but you see this all the time.

Every time there is a job fair shown on the news or in the paper the majority of the people are dressed like slobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,949 times
People at "Job Fairs" know that they are only there to pick up an application for a job. I went to a Monster.Com fair in Pittsburgh and saw many people in suits and a lot in regular street clothes. (I sat in a chair waiting for my Son to get applications from the many sites at the fair), and it didnt mean a hoot, if they were dressed in rags or riches, because no one was hired 'on the spot'...
They all walked out of the place with a huge amount of applications to be filled out and either mailed or brought into a place.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but when I looked at the picture I developed an opinion about those people. Whether that opinion is accurate or not doesn't really matter; I just suggest that people keep in mind recruiters/HR folks/employers in general are forming the same opinions based on appearance. Given the state of the job market I would hate to think something as simple as the way I looked got between me and my ability to find work- especially if my professional qualifications made me competitive.
This is exactly the whole point. Thank you for articulating it so well.

It doesn't matter what you believe about how well you need to dress for something. The point is other people are judging you and that affects your chances of getting a job. If it were up to me, I'd wear athletic pants and a hoodie 24/7. But there are people judging you and if you want to get a job from them, you have to mold to their standards, not the other way around.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Maybe people don't have "nice" clothes to wear? we recently moved, and we had a ton of "nice" clothes, none fit anymore. I donated them to our church, which has a job seekers support group. They provided counseling and support for us while looking for work. they take clothes to loan to people for interviews. I had $500 suits, designer jackets, purses, shoes, blouses, etc, that I would never use again. Also, dh has outgrown some suits he paid $1000 for. He has outgrown them, and it would take a long time to reduce into them.

Perhaps they will help someone more than just sitting in our closet. While I certainly don't suggest strutting around a job fair in a $1000 suit, it could be helpful for an interview. I got a job through a job fair, I wore black pants, black turtleneck and a beige/gold suede jacket, along with nice shoes (not althletic shoes). But what if I didn't have such items?

Also, those job fiairs aren't looking for "professionals" anyways. You ought to see how some of the recuriters look, one I kept holding my breath thinking her tube top was going to drop, others in flip flops, but hey, they have a job, why worry!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM

4,672 posts, read 4,986,842 times
How many of these jobs people get from job fairs require a suit, or even a nice shirt? The last person I recall getting a job from a job fair got one on a booze cruise.

I think it's safe to say from the picture that McKinsey didn't set up shop at that job fair. So why worry about it so damn much?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:44 AM

767 posts, read 1,744,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
One time I went to a job fair and I had to tell FIVE people the vent on their jacket/pencil skirt was still sewn shut. That X isn't a decoration! It's to keep it nice at the store!
"What's a vent? You mean like to make you cooler?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Maybe they wanted to return in when they were done.
LOL.. but sadly plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
.. People have children. The job fair is not an interview. It is a place to find out who's hiring and hook up with who's looking. If something looks promising for either one of them, the other parent is available to walk the baby away for few minutes while information is exchanged.
I can't agree. The job fair is your first and often last chance to get some valuable face time with an employer. Consider the alternative- emailing a resume to the employer whose resume software is only too likely to eliminate it.

You can find out who's hiring just by looking at the list of employers on the job fair advertisement. It's not like dropping by is the only way to find out.

Minus the child consideration, I think you're all wrong though if they took the job fair more seriously, they would find a sitter for a few hours, and the employer reps know that.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Maybe people don't have "nice" clothes to wear? we recently moved, and we had a ton of "nice" clothes, none fit anymore. I donated them to our church, which has a job seekers support group. They provided counseling and support for us while looking for work. they take clothes to loan to people for interviews. I had $500 suits, designer jackets, purses, shoes, blouses, etc, that I would never use again. Also, dh has outgrown some suits he paid $1000 for. He has outgrown them, and it would take a long time to reduce into them.

Perhaps they will help someone more than just sitting in our closet. While I certainly don't suggest strutting around a job fair in a $1000 suit, it could be helpful for an interview. I got a job through a job fair, I wore black pants, black turtleneck and a beige/gold suede jacket, along with nice shoes (not althletic shoes). But what if I didn't have such items?

Also, those job fiairs aren't looking for "professionals" anyways. You ought to see how some of the recuriters look, one I kept holding my breath thinking her tube top was going to drop, others in flip flops, but hey, they have a job, why worry!
Well if your clothes don't fit there is only one person to blame for that.

Unless someone is living on the street most people have "nice clothes". When you get laid off they don't come to your home and take your nicer clothes and say you won't need these anymore.

No one says a man has to wear a suit and tie, but a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar.

I do agree job fairs are a waste for the most part, but if someone is going to bother to attend then make a nice appearance.

On the off chance that something does come of it.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 AM

313 posts, read 450,842 times
Hell, those people in the video look DRESSED UP compared to the typical look of Oregonians.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
and your point being

She might not been able to get or afford a sitter.

....or maybe she should leave her kid in the car....oh wait, than she is a bad mother....

Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
No question that people must have one outfit they can wear that is somewhat businesslike. If you've outgrown older clothes (as many of us have) you still need one outfit- muted, for job intervies, funerals, etc.
My one outfit is likely a bit tired at this point. The dress is a loose one, so I could gain weight, and I have what was an expensive silk jacket to cover it up (unconstructed, flexible for size). A pair of flats that I never wear except to walk into and out of an interview (sneakers in the car).
Now, I am not unemployed, but I keep an eye on that outfit in my closet, just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment