Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
I'm not sure I want to let her know I recieved it. I was starting to think I was paranoid because I couldn't prove I was being "babied" whenever I asked a question about my job. If I let them know I'm aware I'll be given special treatement which I despise.
I think it's a better idea that you don't let them know you received it. When people are considering termination, they are uncomfortable with actually terminating someone. If they find out you know about it, they will be more comfortable firing you because they will feel that you have had time to accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You make sure you print out a few copies of that email and your email request for time off and keep them at home, DO NOT RESPOND TO IT.
I do think it's important that he doesn't respond to the email at all.

Quote:
I'm already looking for a new job, which sucks because I was payed well here. My performance is not being evaluated fairly. I've been perfect for three months. I think they didn't expect this and thought I would've made my final mistake months ago.
Well, from experience, I know that employers rarely forget mistakes. A few months isn't much time to have push a mistake from their memory.

Quote:
Looks like they want to make sure when i get fired I can't complain to HR about unfair treatement and being singled out.
Why? Are you part of a protected class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
^^ I hear ya, it IS a tough call, and yours to take. I'm hoping for your sake, they are impressed by the way you handled this slipup (by not escalating or displaying outrage) that they might reconsider your future there.
It is possible that they will view the OP more favorably based on how professionally he responds to accidently receivng that email. It's a slim possibility but it's worthy of handling it property and not responding or commenting about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
But whatever you do, don't follow metlakatla's advice or hypthetical scenario or whatever she wants to pass it off as.
LMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Then go over his head.

Somebody in that company has to have a pair.
More terrible advice.

Don't do this, OP! You'll reget it.

It sounds like you, OP, have better instincts than some people who are giving advice here. Stick with your gut!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
More terrible advice.

It sounds like you, OP, have better instincts than some people who are giving advice here. Stick with your gut!

Exactly. The manager knows by now she sent it in error to the OP.

You say nothing.

She is probably expecting the OP to say something. By saying nothing to her she has no idea what you're thinking.

She is now wondering:

Did he see it?

Is he going to say something?

Oh boy, I really screwed up!

If the OP is let go, you now have proof if they try and fight unemployment.

And if they try and fight UE benefits , manager is going to have to answer to her higher ups because of the stupid mistake she made.

She may find herself out of a job.

You have your evidence, you say nothing.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
More terrible advice.

I guess it depends on how willing you are to be treated like crap for a paycheck.

Personally, I'd rather panhandle and live on the street than go to a job EVERY FREAKIN' DAY where people do not have any respect or regard for me as a co-worker or person.

Obviously, YMMV. If you are willing to be treated sub-human for the sake of a paycheck, that is you. It sure as heck isn't me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-08-2011, 01:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Other than knowing to look for a new job I don't see any "advantage" to having this knowledge. People are saying this will be good to fight getting fired. There is nothing in that email that implies any wrongdoing. It simply says that we are getting ready to fire this person so don't do anything that the person could possibly use against us. That is pretty good advice from a management perspective.

Personally I don't know what I would do. My inclination is that I would talk to the manager that sent it. Tell them I was confused as to what it meant and can they clarify it for me. Perhaps it would buy a bit more time in job searching.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM

629 posts, read 1,234,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess it depends on how willing you are to be treated like crap for a paycheck.

Personally, I'd rather panhandle and live on the street than go to a job EVERY FREAKIN' DAY where people do not have any respect or regard for me as a co-worker or person.

Obviously, YMMV. If you are willing to be treated sub-human for the sake of a paycheck, that is you. It sure as heck isn't me.

20yrsinBranson
I've already started looking for a new job. May take some time. Unitl then I'll play nice. I kinda want to let them know I received the email after my 2 weeks notice. Maybe send a letter to the management team. It's annoying to have managers that don't know how to lead.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Other than knowing to look for a new job I don't see any "advantage" to having this knowledge. People are saying this will be good to fight getting fired. There is nothing in that email that implies any wrongdoing. It simply says that we are getting ready to fire this person so don't do anything that the person could possibly use against us. That is pretty good advice from a management perspective.

Personally I don't know what I would do. My inclination is that I would talk to the manager that sent it. Tell them I was confused as to what it meant and can they clarify it for me. Perhaps it would buy a bit more time in job searching.

If i would have received the email, I would have sent it back and responded "oops I don't think this was meant for me." What a complete dumba*& that is business 101-look before you send an email make sure it's going to the right person-

I certainly hope you are looking for another job.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. The manager knows by now she sent it in error to the OP.

You say nothing.

She is probably expecting the OP to say something. By saying nothing to her she has no idea what you're thinking.

She is now wondering:

Did he see it?

Is he going to say something?

Oh boy, I really screwed up!

If the OP is let go, you now have proof if they try and fight unemployment.

And if they try and fight UE benefits , manager is going to have to answer to her higher ups because of the stupid mistake she made.

She may find herself out of a job.

You have your evidence, you say nothing.
Yes, I agree with seain dublin !

Print 2 copies out of that email NOW incase you need it in a hurry for the UE office...

Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Actually I work 10 hour days. I only requested off (my first time) because my girlfriends birthday is that day. My picture was me standing in uniform holding my weapon. The write said I was holding large weapons in a photo. Sounded like I was in a gang instead of fighting for my country. I have no problem with women managers as long as they treat everyone equal. HERE in my job the women treat the charismatic associates very different from the other (i wonder why). This is a job and performance should determine my level of employment. I treat everyone the same regardless of gender or position. I believe in equal treatement in the work enviornment.

Some people don't like weapons. Plain and simple-- there was a girl at work once who had her fiance holding like two big machine guns and grinning-- even I thought that was weird with several military family members to boot. It is just not the-- "best" picture to show at work kinda like I wouldn't have a picture of me and my girl friends all hanging out in our swimsuits at work.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

I agree manderly6--- this does not do anything to help the employee except in giving him a heads up that he should be dedicating A LOT of time to finding new employment.

All they have done is mention that they will be getting rid of him-- depending on how big the organization is (most of my large corporations I have worked for have specific requirements to fire someone and that means LOTS of documentation so that they can refute unemployment requests and any potential legal threats) then they have enough information as data to backup that yes-- they have legitimate reasons to fire.

OP-- I would feel bad because well, it would suck knowing I am going to get fired. I would possibly-- depending on the organization and how "friendly" it is to employees maybe negotiate it for a lay off versus a firing so I could negotiate some severance.

But all in all, I would feel bad, sniff, and then move on to a new employer and do everything I could to find a new job before they fired me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment