Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 03:00 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Too bad OP is no longer a member. I'd love to have him come back and tell us how it all worked out for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You did not say your LOCATION.

$20/hour is horrible in San Francisco which has a ridiculous cost of living.
$20/hour is good if you're in a small town in flyover country. You'd be living decently.
"Nowadays" was over a decade ago

Old 10-12-2020, 11:05 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
"Nowadays" was over a decade ago
Yup.

That $20/hour job now would be $18/hour.

Also, the OP hasn't bothered to come back to this thread in almost 10 years, so this thread should be closed.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Maybe he got to the $32/hr level by now.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Maybe he got to the $32/hr level by now.
If he did, he'd get laid off and replaced by a newbie at $18/hour, only after he trained him up.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:35 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Making 20 an hour in 2021 isn't that great in most States in America I think. This post was back in 2011 and inflation has eroded that 20 an hour even more. I guess there are a few States that it's above average but where I live it's only good for a student.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:03 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
In my local area, it’s better than average. You can survive on it with careful budgeting and a simple lifestyle. There won’t be a lot of flexibility or many luxuries. I live in a low cost of living area.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:39 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
My 21 year-old son makes slightly less than that. He started working full-time at 18. He wasn't ready for a college path. He has built up a good work history, now that he is eligible (21) he is maxing out his 401k, has a private investment portfolio that has provided him with opportunities to educate himself and learn to manage his money, and he pays all his own expenses. His friends are in their last year of college. Due to COVID19, the second half of his friends' junior year, and so far this senior year, the on-line experience has been subpar yet the cost is nearly the same. Some of his friends are now beginning to be concerned that they may not be able to find a decent job due to the current economic climate. With zero debt and a decent amount of savings, my son is looking at taking advantage of the low rates and a good credit rating to buy his first house. The path he has chosen will allow him to do so before most of his friends have gotten their first job.

Taking a job and learning do not have to be mutually-exclusive decisions. As others have mentioned, one can work a job and go to school part-time, take a certification course, do some focused personal learning, take a job that offers an apprentice program, participate in employer-based training opportunties, etc.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
For an electrician's helper in Stuttgart, Ark., I guess $20 an hour is pretty good.

For an aerospace engineer in Seattle, not so hotso.

See?

It all depends.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:37 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
For an electrician's helper in Stuttgart, Ark., I guess $20 an hour is pretty good.

For an aerospace engineer in Seattle, not so hotso.

See?

It all depends.
To that end: Seattle metro, that's skinny money but people get by. They aren't getting ahead. Add kids and other financial drags, it's precarious to say the least. Forty grand a year...my my. In 1990, that was tolerable money for a professional when I started fresh out of undergrad in STEM. Now, it's tolerable money for service industry, I gather, and that's just what it is with inflation and etc.

All the way up yonder here in 2020, a GF of mine makes about $20/hr. She's on the phone all day doing what she does best, which seems to be mothering and helping others. It's work and she earns it, but is a model employee (so I'm told, I believe it). She also has a couple daughters and alimony, and gets by via living frugally. I'm not knocking it, but I'd call it working class: some have different horizons. No possession monger, she, fortunately as that would run up credit card bills that can't be paid. No college education, average intellect, good heart, shops for value and most meals are home prepped (and the better for it, btw). She does side jobs for a couple hundred here and there, too: cleaning, mostly. I think the latter goes into what my mom and granny used to call the "pin money" stash.

We do live in a notoriously high cost of living area, though. She lives in a working class part of town which is nice enough, to try and put into perspective. Retirement, interesting vacations? Forget it. She puts five grand together it's a major event. And, major events do happen as one might expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment