Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM

123 posts, read 245,719 times

Advertisements

Working customer service is a white-collar factory job. At least that's my take on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:05 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Toss your shoes at them while you are at it. A shame you only have 2.
I propose we find a method to outsource them.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I actually know many more recent college graduates out of work than people middle aged. In fact, where I work there have been 3 recent hires at 60-75k pay levels that were between ages 50 and 60.
Same here. We've been hiring mostly people in their 40s and 50s. If we're working with a fixed salary, then we we'd rather take a highly experienced person over a less experienced one--if we can get them for the same/similar price.

Additionally, we're trying to get more done with less people, so an experienced person usually requires less mentoring/instruction and may have experience in a multitude of things vs. just one or two.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Same here. We've been hiring mostly people in their 40s and 50s. If we're working with a fixed salary, then we we'd rather take a highly experienced person over a less experienced one--if we can get them for the same/similar price.

Additionally, we're trying to get more done with less people, so an experienced person usually requires less mentoring/instruction and may have experience in a multitude of things vs. just one or two.
What company? Is it in Atlanta?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Krauthammer usually takes the right wing view. Now even he says the GOP has no plan.
There is a dude by the name of Reid ....in the house of lords....that would shoot down any logical/reasonable plan that the GOP came up with. Putty inny pippey and smokkie. By the way, the same dodo bird that has not come up with a budget for 4+ years.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Krauthammer usually takes the right wing view. Now even he says the GOP has no plan.
U realize he used to be mondale's speechwriter, right?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,971 times
A few things in the San Diego article really caught my attention:

The company is open to the idea of hiring younger talent and providing training, but Gompers said that in many cases, younger employees “lack the drive to work hard … and they don’t have the patience to learn to work to the specifications and precision our business requires.”

The above is a clear example of (legal) age discrimination. The employer has not been willing to hire younger workers, preferring experienced workers. Which raises the question, if no one is willing to hire younger workers, then where will they get experience? Also, if the employer effectively screens out younger workers for the jobs, then it has no reason to complain of a "labor shortage."

Boessow said it has become even more challenging recently.
The agencies that we contract through are finding less and less qualified candidates to fill these positions. They are quite honest that the labor pool is just not there,” she said.

Perhaps, there is something wrong with the agencies the company is contracting with? Also, there's no discussion of what makes a candidate "qualified." Some employers have unnecessarily high expectations (such as refusing to hire the unemployed) and needlessly weed out individuals who can do the job, but we are not given enough information to determine whether or not this is the case.

In addition, there is no discussion of what wages and benefits the complaining employers offer, much less how it compares to San Diego's cost of living.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
We are starting to look more like Europe with every passing day.

Charles Krauthammer | Middle-Aged | Employment | RealClearPolitics

Europe is hardly monolithic. Germany is not Greece and Switzerland is not Italy.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Europe is looking significantly better than we are at this time, if you want the ugly truth.
If you think unemployment is bad here, good luck finding a job in Europe.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,669 times
I'm 41 and without a doubt believe "older" hires are a better investment. I like the energy of the "hipsters" but the more seasoned worker works smarter.
Funny the older I get the more I like the aging workforce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment