Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,937 times

Advertisements

Companies want to pay the least, they prefer younger workers since those workers are more likely to take the lower wages. I think the job market is tough for most anyone over 40. Not even getting into the fact that older workers tend to cost more in health insurance. That fact alone drives company towards getting younger people on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
40s is middle age? I thought it was in the 50s. So, what does that mean, everyone in their 40s should go and be exiled to Walmart and call centers? Not on your life. I worked hard to build my life, my experience, my skills. I will not let pop culture, the media or corporate brainwashing take all that away from me. I will sooner go live in another country, and definitely one that RESPECTS "older" candidates. It seems "older" is a subjective term anyway.It varies from one industry to another. I didn't come to this country and become a naturalized citizen to let "others" define who I am and "keep me down". I didn't pay my taxes and work on the books for that. I didn't come here to be told "what I am". This is not the Soviet Union. I am here to decide on my own what I am and what I can do. I can "prove" this as many times to as many prospective employers UNTIL SOMEONE SEES MY WORTH AND HIRES ME. Ageism is real, of course. Does every human being on the other side of the hiring table engage in it? Of course not.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
40s is middle age? I thought it was in the 50s. So, what does that mean, everyone in their 40s should go and be exiled to Walmart and call centers? Not on your life. I worked hard to build my life, my experience, my skills. I will not let pop culture, the media or corporate brainwashing take all that away from me. I will sooner go live in another country, and definitely one that RESPECTS "older" candidates. It seems "older" is a subjective term anyway.It varies from one industry to another. I didn't come to this country and become a naturalized citizen to let "others" define who I am and "keep me down". I didn't pay my taxes and work on the books for that. I didn't come here to be told "what I am". This is not the Soviet Union. I am here to decide on my own what I am and what I can do. I can "prove" this as many times to as many prospective employers UNTIL SOMEONE SEES MY WORTH AND HIRES ME. Ageism is real, of course. Does every human being on the other side of the hiring table engage in it? Of course not.
I wish I could rep this 1000 times. I agree there is a mindset that is around where its lose this job, your life is over. I agree its harder nowadays but people with Mystiques attitude and drive will continue to get ahead because they just won't lay down and weep they have a foundation and they will use the energy and drive to get ahead and are willing to make decisions and can demonstrate this. Experience goes a long way.

I feel like this country fell down and refuses to get up fully and it makes angry and sad at the same time.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
From that movie, the name of which escapes me: "We're mad and we're not going to take it anymore...." I have dealt with 40somethings and many older, and not just Americans. The non-Americans, though, refuse to wallow in this "feeling sorry for myself" b.s. for too long. Feel sorry for a little bit. It's ok, and it's normal. But then, for __________'s sake, get your a** up and move on! It's not you. IT'S THE ECONOMY. IT'S THE PEOPLE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT CONFERENCE TABLE. If someone is biased, it's their problem.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
Well, in America older people 40+ years old still have a good enough chance of employment. The Philippines is openly discriminatory in age and older people have to get jobs through connections. Lots of job ads list an age limit. So I guess older people do overseas jobs there.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
What company? Is it in Atlanta?
No, Dallas.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 AM

245 posts, read 382,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
well, we know that there are actually plenty of jobs out there, ready for takers at pretty much any time.

but then again, many people prefer unemployment to taking these jobs, which they consider to be beneath them.

i write this as i read an article about how despite California's ridiculously high unemployment rate, San Diego manufacturers just can't find any workers

Maybe because these companies can't find undocumented aliens to work there. I'm just speculating, but I worked blue collar jobs all my life in manufacturing. Last year I had a temp job through an Agency in Orange County as a CNC machinist. The company I worked for was burning through temp employees left and right. I asked the LEAD man why was this so, he said the company didn't hire the services of Temp agencies before. He said before they use to hire undocumented workers and so they wouldn't complain about anything. But now they have E-Verify in place and they had to get rid of those workers. So what happens is one set of workers are dismissed and now they hire Temp Agencies to find qualified workers in that area. I've had employers contact me from San Diego County and asking me to consider applying for a position at their company. I live in L.A. county i don't have the means to move to another county nor have the inclination to commute long distance on a daily basis.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I actually know many more recent college graduates out of work than people middle aged. In fact, where I work there have been 3 recent hires at 60-75k pay levels that were between ages 50 and 60.
Same here---

I would say the average age of my team is around 40 years of age. This may come down as they are looking to hire a couple junior software engineers in addition to a couple senior senior level.

In the middle age category the only person I know who is unemployed is my aunt. She has been able to find work every now and then, but lets be real my aunt is a drunk who is in denial. She ends up getting "laid off" and most of the family and I are convinced that the "lay off" is really a "you're fired."

For the most part, she seems like a functioning alcoholic but in the past 5 years her memory, cognition etc just seem like it has decayed, plus she ends up always smelling like Bourbon street at 10am post Mardi Gras with an overlay of perfume to mask it. You have to repeat things to her multiple times, she forgets, she misinterprets, etc. I don't blame companies for "laying her off" or firing her. As she is in outside sales, etc I wouldn't want her to represent my company either.

She is also pretty unrealistic in her expectations. She lives in a rural community, expects a 50k base salary as a outside sales rep for non-lucrative positions. She was offered a decent office manager job at a community she used to live at but their 38k rate was just way too low for her even though that is a pretty aggressive salary in her area unless you are a professional aka doctor or lawyer.

Not to say that she doesn't blame the economy and everyone else for her woes. She does. She is also the only alcoholic that I have ever met that will deny strongly that she ever touches it (all the while while she is chugging down a Rum and Coke that is really a glass of rum with a dash of coke for "flavoring").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment