Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times

Advertisements

Like this thread; I've thought about this subject,too, recall the decades before the Depression and much civil unrest, and I assume its just a matter of when, how often, and the magnitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Not really cause right now there are jobs in our country. just not in every state like California/Illinois etc. I would look at the top 10 states for business according to CEO magazine and see which ones are up there. Those are the states with jobs. I know that Flordia was 2nd, Texas was #1 and Indiana was 6th and 1st in the midwest. People might have to move to get jobs but thats fine cause thats how this economy is going to be for some time
LOL. I knew somebody would say that. I guess you have solved the problem

Old 08-24-2011, 06:08 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,565,836 times
Right across from the office where I work, there's some new grafitti on a building that says "CLASS WAR NOW". To me, it says, "we're sick and tired of the rich getting richer while more and more people without jobs are entering a state of poverty." It's a call for immediate action, and it's disturbing.

It's interesting-- When I visited with my father recently, he told me "Don't be surprised if people get so fed up with the state of things in America that they revolt". He foresees a day in the not-to-distant future when gangs of thugs roam the streets, (even in the better neighborhoods,) breaking into homes and businesses at will and taking what they please. And there would be an insufficient number of law enforcement personnel to handle the mess. I SURE hope Dad's vision is wrong.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Nothing beyond a show will happen until the unemployment hits like 70%, at that point there will be so little tax dollars that the fed gov can not function. That is when you could have a civil war. As long as bloated enforcement agencys are around not much is going to happen, and even if the gov colapsed the FBI would basicly just turn into a US equivalent to the ex KGB and the citizens would be no better off just like in russia. It sounds good on paper to say that poverty is just as bad as jail but after watching these prison shows I dont think so.

You have to have some degree of separation from thoes you wish to fight so that you can arm up and organize and at the same time the fed gov would have to be crumbling becuase even if you could muster 100 people fully armed and somewhat trained (maybe some ex military or something) you have no hope against attack helicopters and constant police intrusion, these same 100 people will have to go to jobs and pay the bills and the feds would stomp them out one by one.

The FBI and some police agencys are basicly professional soliders operating on US soil just without the uniform, there is no way to compete against that.

The only way to turn things around is to do what germany did in WW2, someone that has your interests has to take over the existing infrastrucutre. Life was actually pretty good for the average non jewish german person. They pooled their national resources and almost stomped britian and the USA out of the picture, if they had taken over britian and not attacked russia the USA would have been at war with germany for easily another 10 years.

You have to have a NATION that rises up against its enemys, 100 people from the back woods of montana wont cut it. You would have to have state gov's that defy the fed gov in a meaningful way, thats the only way an effective civil war could happen.

I think another huge problem is the USA is way too huge and way to diverse, that diversity has advantages but it also has deep disadvantages, too much disagreement and too difficult to elect a meaningful president becuase you have people from maryland and alaska voting for ONE guy and the only way that some guy from maryland and alaska can know about someone is mass media coverage which is a huge money game. Because of corporate outsourcing we no longer have any advantage to being one big nation, that being we could pool resources and have one massive military industrial complex that could squash our enemys but there is so much pandering and touchy feely sentiment in the USA that its better that we were multipule nations that way certian regions of the USA could stand or fall on their own merit and we could get usefull leaders in place because the elections would be based on who the locals acutally know and like. You could have groups of states that could implement policies without the overreaching play ground bully of the fed gov.

Arizona could have actually turned off californias water instead of just talking about it, they could create tax havens for inginuity, enact embargos and take drastic measures to combat corporations while retaining the intellectual rights and know how. Right now the states have their hands tied because they cant do the big things that need to be done that the fed gov is preventing. I have no interest in compromising with peoples views that are polar opposite to mine.

The real problem is the fed gov controls 90% of any meaningful force (military, FBI, etc) so we all sink or swim together we cant break away and let certian segments sink based on their own merit and thats a bad place to be. At least in europe their militarys are separate so if the stronger more sucessful nation is tired of another nation bring them down they can cut them off, states cant do that.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM

145 posts, read 610,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Maybe so, I think the real danger is if the Government takes away things like welfare and food stamps you'll see a major spike in crime.

Like Gerald Celente says, " When people lose everything and have nothing left to lose, the lose it. "

I agree... if you take away the food from the welfare recieptants yet allow them to conceal and carry a gun.. there will be problems.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
highlife2, I doubt most see a militia. I'd expect more multi-person workplace executions, even in white collar hqs. If one remembers the depression, one recalls Bonnie and Clyde were popular amongst a large segment of the law-abiding, and I don't doubt, even if they did not fear reprisal, many cheering were happy for the extended run they had before being caught.

This is a very dangerous time for Free Market Capitalism. If we hit double-dip as I expect, and add millions more unemployed, the boiling kettle could well explode.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
So many of the unemployed are over 55 and not likely to riot. Some will commit petty crimes to get imprisoned until they can collect Social Security. One man robbed a bank for a dollar and then waited in the lobby for his arrest.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Not really cause right now there are jobs in our country. just not in every state like California/Illinois etc. I would look at the top 10 states for business according to CEO magazine and see which ones are up there. Those are the states with jobs. I know that Flordia was 2nd, Texas was #1 and Indiana was 6th and 1st in the midwest. People might have to move to get jobs but thats fine cause thats how this economy is going to be for some time

Are you kidding? FL just lost 6,000 good paying jobs with NASA closing.

It is creating a domino effect in other industries from restaurants to real estate.

FL is creating jobs alright. Jobs that pay $8 an hour.

Legoland is going to hire 3,000 people when it opens in October.

Get real.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Baloney. Where you get your information? Do you believe everything in print?

States w/low unemployment are Kansas, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Wyoming. Google unemployment rate for these states if you don't believe me.

Texas may be creating jobs, unemployment rate is 8.2%. Jobs Rick Perry created are burger flipping wages with no benefits. Texas has one of the higher rates of people without health insurance in the nation. In order to qualify for Medicaid in TX, you cannot have monthly wages in excess of of $188.00 (no, I did not misplace the decimal). In other words, pay your own way or get of our state. They do have an immigration problem, so I guess they're fed up.

Florida is one of the lowest wage states in the Union with one of the highest rates of unemployment - currently 10.6%. Visit the unemployment forum on CD and see how things really are in FL. No jobs there, either.

Indiana's current unemployment rate is 8.3%.

Might want to check your facts before bloviating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I have no interest in compromising with peoples views that are polar opposite to mine.
Therein lies why this country will never be great again. Casting no aspersions, but the polarization in this country due to regional/cultural differences will result in continued decline of this nation as no one can work together anymore for the common good because no one can agree on what that is. Thus, the politicians and kleptocracy keep us distracted fighting each other while they rape the country.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
A majority of Americans can't even be bothered to take 5 minutes to vote.

I'd say most Americans are too lazy to exert the effort required to stage a proper uprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment