Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
""Do you think the unemployment situation might turn into civil unrest?""

If it does the government will shoot you down in the streets...
That's so 1700's ish. They won't even bother with bullets, they can make us lay down and weep like babies with sound waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Hmmm, on one hand, how bad can an old tymer uprising really be? OTOH, some of them fought in wars, and if they can put up a good fight, that shows they're organized and can probably still be trained and employable.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 PM

303 posts, read 396,441 times
No, the unemployment problem is nowhere near pervasive enough to result in civil unrest - especially when the people having the most trouble finding work are significantly less able-bodied and mercurial in temperament than rioters typically are. Additionally, what is this about being too lazy to riot? When confronted with actual rioters, we deride them for not wanting to work for what they loot and build the types of things that they destroy. The powers that be would love a riot of the unemployed - throw them in prison and decrease the surplus population, and there's nothing like setting someone else's stuff on fire to alienate the general public from you and whatever political cause you're espousing.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 PM

89 posts, read 207,227 times
Maybe once many Americans put down the Doritos and Cheese Balls and get off their collective couches.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous2004 View Post
Maybe once many Americans put down the Doritos and Cheese Balls and get off their collective couches.
The problem -- Americans would rather keep getting unemployment handouts and let illegals take all the construction and factory jobs. Unemployed Americans will even tell you they have some degree that makes them too good for most jobs, they absolutely refuse to take a job they consider too beneath them -- and unemployment and food stamps makes it very easy for them to keep this attitude.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,345,774 times
I'm not sure. I did some research last night to see what would happen if I lost my job or if I got ticked off and quit.

Well one, it doesn't look like I could get unemployment if just quit. So, first you have to get fired or let go in a such a way that you qualify for unemployment.

Then, you have to be activley looking for a job and not turning down jobs (not sure how this is tracked, seems like it could be fairly easy to get around if you were determined to stay on unemployment)

THEN, unemployment for me would be like 1/4 of my regular salary due to maximum caps. I couldn't even pay my rent if I were on unemployment, and I'm not sure how many people could (at least here in CA) while also paying for food and cars, etc.

I'm sure if people already have a support system (spouse, parents, etc.) then unemployment benefits might seem pretty cushy for awhile.

For those of us that depend on a certain salary to live and pay bills its not a realistic way to live even for a month. I don't know how people do it especially since you can't just break a lease and move without financial penalties.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times
Part of the problem is that the Electoral College makes it very difficult for a 3rd party to succeed. What we need is a 3rd party that actually cares about the interests of the middle class, but our system is set up so that won't happen easily.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Too bad this guy is gone because he knew what was going on years before everyone else is finally waking up to it.

George Carlin ~ The American Dream - YouTube

Oh, thank you so much for posting this, iamrollinglow! That man was truly a genius, and I miss him. We lost a precious commodity when he died.

Would you mind if I posted this on another thread?

Old 03-08-2014, 11:03 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, it will likely happen in areas where the rent-an-anarchist people will stir up those that have never worked and have their welfare and food stamps cut off due to budget problems caused by the newly unemployed. Those people that worked in factories and construction with a wife and kids are not going to get involved in such a waste of time that could result in jail time and prevent them from ever getting a job again.
Um, it might just be the wife and kids who will revolt.

It's not only (formerly) hard-working white guys who are justifiably ticked off and fed up.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,422,510 times
Well, the Occupy movement didn't really do much.

Most of the people I know who are of the age of the majority of protestors just thought they were lazy idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment