Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. For people who pay attention to the news we're seeing crimes of desperation.

And this isn't your grandmother's depression where people would go door to door looking for work in exchange for a meal.

We now have a much more violent society where they will knock the door down and take what they want.
And it will continue to increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,622 times
All you have to do is go to Google and plug in "tent city" or "tent community" or "ghost towns". It's all on Youtube and it's quite frighteningly real. Biggest one is in Sacramento, CA. Another in Seattle. Lakewood, NJ, more recently in the news. We are long overdue for civil unrest. Expect crimes of desperation; bank robberies, more theft. Home invasions on Long Island, NY are on the increase. I suggest anyone who wants to be prepared learn basic survival skills, find out the laws about gun permits and learn some basic self defense especially if you are a single female who lives alone and doesn't depend on anyone. It's better to be prepared at any rate. You never know.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractPainter View Post
>>"The welfare queens are not the only ones getting angry"

the biggest welfare queens are: Goldman Sachs & J.P.Morgan, actually J.P. Morgan runs a majority of the food stamp programs in the US. Brought to you by the same Bankers who borrow from the Fed at 0.5% and then charge you for 29.999% credit cards. Thats not free market capitalism, its crony capitalism.
Aren't big corporations the biggest welfare recipients? Corporate bailouts were probably the dumbest thing we could spend billions of dollars on. Giving billions of dollars to already rich companies who need to "break even" does nothing to stimulate an economy based on the consumer spending of its populace. If every American citizen was given a million dollars, it would have stimulated the economy much greater by inadvertently starting thousands of small businesses and regular people buying things like cars and houses instead of trying to borrow these things from a soulless uncaring bank in an economic climate where very few jobs are well-paying, safe and stable. When mega-corporations can't sell their overpriced sh*t because they decided to take jobs away from millions of formerly working Americans who would have allowed them to buy things, they failed to "break even". Corporations shot themselves in the foot and regular Americans have to pick up the tab while tax breaks are given to the wealthiest. Big corporations are getting bailouts while average joes are losing their homes. There is definitely something wrong with America when corporations and the ultra-rich are constantly cut breaks and the average American has no safety net. Sadly, the richest Americans have made up for our spending by buying lavish things with their extra millions lying around. Rolls Royce had its best selling year ever in 2010 and most of the super luxury car company's customers lived here in the States. I don't think laid-off American manufacturing workers, unemployed recent college grads or people on welfare in the projects were the ones buying Rolls Royces . Trickle down economics has an enormous loop hole which is one of the oldest and greatest evils in the world: greed.

Rolls-Royce sales up 171 percent in 2010, records set worldwide

U.S. Economy Is Increasingly Tied to the Rich - The Wealth Report - WSJ

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-26-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Aren't big corporations the biggest welfare recipients? Corporate bailouts were probably the dumbest thing we could spend billions of dollars on. Giving billions of dollars to already rich companies who need to "break even" does nothing to stimulate an economy based on the consumer spending of its populace. If every American citizen was given a million dollars, it would have stimulated the economy much greater by inadvertently starting thousands of small businesses and regular people buying things like cars and houses instead of trying to borrow these things from a soulless uncaring bank in an economic climate where very few jobs are well-paying, safe and stable. When mega-corporations can't sell their overpriced sh*t because they decided to take jobs away from millions of formerly working Americans who would have allowed them to buy things, they failed to "break even". Corporations shot themselves in the foot and regular Americans have to pick up the tab while tax breaks are given to the wealthiest. Big corporations are getting bailouts while average joes are losing their homes. There is definitely something wrong with America when corporations and the ultra-rich are constantly cut breaks and the average American has no safety net. Sadly, the richest Americans have made up for our spending by buying lavish things with their extra millions lying around. Rolls Royce had its best selling year ever in 2010 and most of the super luxury car company's customers lived here in the States. I don't think laid-off American manufacturing workers, unemployed recent college grads or people on welfare in the projects were the ones buying Rolls Royces . Trickle down economics has an enormous loop hole which is one of the oldest and greatest evils in the world: greed.

Rolls-Royce sales up 171 percent in 2010, records set worldwide

U.S. Economy Is Increasingly Tied to the Rich - The Wealth Report - WSJ
My question to any American complaining about all of this... What are YOU going to do about it? My theory... All of this nonsense is going to continue, and Americans may grumble here and there, given the proper channel (City Data of course!). For the most part, there is no outlet for the anger and and rage. Of course, this will all be bottled up, like it has been for 30 years running. Eventually, if things don't change, if the outlet ever became available for all this rage to be unleashed at once... You do the math.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
A majority of Americans can't even be bothered to take 5 minutes to vote.

I'd say most Americans are too lazy to exert the effort required to stage a proper uprising.
How true that is. I remember once a city closed a road and the only complaints they got were from neighboring city officials, not from motorists.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,981 times
Ive been looking for work and got an interview at the local paper, & experience may illustrate some response to your ponderings.
I live in a small town that was struggling even before the widespread misery. I thought a job at the paper would be a fascinating wealth of information about the community, though it's generally considered a rag. Well, the people who interviewed me couldn't care less about promoting local, small businesses, they want all advertising to be corporate inserts and big, slick ads. These people, with their wall street arrogance in what is a genuinely good, small town, seemed completely alien to me and couldn't fathom why i'd even consider reaching out to local businesses. But, when i shared this with an old timer in the area who spent time in politics, he said well, the paper used to be good before it was bought by a corporation. I asked if that was around the time the big box stores came in and family hardware stores and boutiques got shuttered, and he said, what do you think? He said it's only the old timers like him and some young ones like me that see what's going on. People don't pay attention to local politics, and into the void, corporations have come in and taken over small towns across the country, bypassing zoning laws and not giving the public hearings. So in the end, we really only have each other to blame. It sucks, but it's true. And since not much, if anything, can be done about it, sure there will be unrest. No doubt.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:20 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
A majority of Americans can't even be bothered to take 5 minutes to vote.

I'd say most Americans are too lazy to exert the effort required to stage a proper uprising.
This.

This is the real truth.

Look at what matters to most Americans.

The vast majority of folks and the salt of the earth in this country remind me of the film Idiocracy.

We put more emphasis on college sports teams than we do actual education merits.

People are more interested in ridiculous television than actually understanding what is going on in our country and abroad.

The scary part is that here we allow these same folks to arm themselves.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Are you kidding? FL just lost 6,000 good paying jobs with NASA closing.

It is creating a domino effect in other industries from restaurants to real estate.

FL is creating jobs alright. Jobs that pay $8 an hour.

Legoland is going to hire 3,000 people when it opens in October.

Get real.
I agree.

What is needed is $20/hour jobs with basic healthcare benefits. Problem is these $20/hour jobs need to be for the average Joe and Jane and that isn't going to happen until Joe and Jane stop purchasing Chinese made cheap junk at WalMart.

The only segment that can provide this is manufacturing.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I agree.

What is needed is $20/hour jobs with basic healthcare benefits. Problem is these $20/hour jobs need to be for the average Joe and Jane and that isn't going to happen until Joe and Jane stop purchasing Chinese made cheap junk at WalMart.

The only segment that can provide this is manufacturing.
Good point.

I travel a lot for work, domestically and internationally.

In Europe-- you can find shoes, cookware, etc anything that is made in Europe. It is far more expensive than the cheap chinese products, but the quality is usually higher, there is some national pride, and it keeps your average manual labor members of society employed and spending money.

Here-- we have done it to ourselves trying to demand always new and at the cheapest price as possible.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
Sounds like something that should be on the Survival thread.
Anywho, with all this talk about the new generation just storming in and taking whatever they want, I imagine there's going to be some survivors after all that looting and pillaging is over.
Unless everyone's completely devolved to where they'll just leave bodies lying in the open, I could picture barter/trade groups of grave-diggers and undertakers participating in cleanup duties.
Then those with some sort of currency/money-type left will simply raze the pilfered neighborhoods and revert them back into a nature-preserve or something along that line.

Civil war, rioting, just people going bat-f--k insane, they'll eventually burn themselves out of energy, run out of ammunition, and something a little more stable will push the remains aside and fill the void.
Whether it's a good or a bad force, that's something we'll just have to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment