Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
WTF he is 21 let him be a man and fix it himself. Ask them what is wrong and bring up the State Labor Commission
Called the labor board this past Monday.

Best Buy won't talk to the employee (son) about it b/c the money card and the "initial" employment record is under the dad's name (Best Buy's screw up).

The dad's company was his last employer and was given as a reference.
The dad's name was listed as a contact.

His mom was listed as an emergency contact.

Best Buy keeps saying - we only can talk to XXX Smith. Interestingly enough, they have the son's social security number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
If Best Buy is saying they can only speak to XXX Smith, then they want to speak to the dad.

Why is MOM talking to Best Buy????

I bet this kid will still be living with mom and dad in 10 years.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:51 PM

OK...his ssn is correct and his last name is correct. All he needs to do is call HR and request a name change for first name only. Women do this all the time when they get married, but for last and middle names. It is a common change in HR systems...change name.

He just asks them to change his first name, says it was typed wrong when first entered into the system.

FILL OUT A NEW FED W4 FORM and/or I9(section 3 is for name change) and submit. Put correct name on it.Either of both of these forms should set off a chain of events in HR where they would change the name.Include a note that the first name has changed.

Surely he had to give his Drivers License upon hire. They can refer to that if they need proof that he is the original person they hired if they need to go this route. I would do the Name Change route, as they would then just follow their standard procedure for Name Change (we know they want to follow standard procedures, this is why they are confused with this odd situation)

As far as his paycheck, he can just have the dad cash it for him and move on. The SSN is correct so it wont go under the fathers IRS stuff.

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-30-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,498 times
They need the hiring manager to verify that it was the kid they hired and give HR the skinny. This isn't rocket science!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,559 times
Sorry that's happening to that co-worker. Did his mom intentionally take this fight or did he ask her? My mom was an ornery obnoxious type so it was hard for one to keep a leash on her or she didn't know when to back off.

Sounds like he needs to find another line of work. Seriously, getting paid with a card? That's the same crap Gamestop does to their employees and pay is low as it is when they charge you to use the card.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Wait, so you can't have your paycheck direct deposited into your account?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile The paycheck

Direct deposit is an option, however, the money card was really pushed on him. Since he's 21 and didn't know all this, he checked "money card" - then BB sends the money card under the dad's name.

This guy says everyone is so screwed up; they just give him an 888 number and he gives someone overseas who is reading from a script.

Now, he has to figure out how to change from the money card (not under his name) to direct deposit. He did try to fix the first name but BB thinks it's 2 different people!

The people he dealt with in the beginning say they can't deal with this; it's not just their job anymore....

Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Since he's 21 and didn't know all this, he checked "money card" - then BB sends the money card under the dad's name.
I'm sorry but that is just poor parenting. How can a 21 year old "not know all this"? This thread just pisses me off. I cannot believe that at 21 a person is unable to handle the logistics of having an $8/hour job and a couple of obstacles from working for a large company.

Granted, I lived at home at 21 but I did have a full time job. I just happened to live in Southern California and was not financially able to move out on my own but I can assure you when Sears messed up and didn't pay my vacation pay, I figured out what they owed me to the penny (taxes taken out included) and I went to HR and got my check.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
This isn't an outsourcing issue. This is a process issue.

Let's not try to make outsourcing look bad. Outsourcing is a great contributor to the job market.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-30-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
... Outsourcing is a great contributor to the job market.
Outsourcing is a great contributor to the job market IN INDIA, in many cases. It's called Offshoring. The in-house folks that did the job in the USA get canned(most of them, sometimes all), and the whole process gets Offshored to India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment