Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Uh, excel is pretty easy.. I have been using it for the past 10 years at least. Many of those "Data Mining" jobs (nice name by the way) are usually contract positions where a large corporation will outsource to some IT agency based in India which will have a group of contractors come for the project then go back
Excel can get quite complicated depending on the complexity of the macro. A past company i worked for had to pay consultants a very large fee annually. What most use excel for though isn't super complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary
Thought i would update this.
According to the BLS Indiana actually created over 17,100 jobs in the past month.
I wouldnt be surprised if people are relocating to our state to find employment cause thats ahead of Even Texas and Texas is 4X larger than Indiana.
So there are jobs out there but as i said before this is a mobile economy you have to be able to relocate to find employment.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Three great examples of sitting on the sidelines telling the team what they are doing wrong.

2. Andy: I have 30+ years of experience with computer experience, including ALL of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access, Project, FrontPage, Visio) and that is NOT getting me work.

Do any other armchair coaches have any other great points to toss out to the field?
I was just telling you what has worked for me. Computers have been reducing the need for workers in manufacturing for 30+ years. I would be a fool not to work on the side of technology, because fighting it is a lost cause in this day and age.

And with 8 million jobs erased, you can do everything right and still end up on the loosing side of the equation. Not everyone is going to be a winner. I wish it was different, but it is tough, and in many cases, it is unfair. All you can do is try to keep your skills up to date, and sell yourself as best as possible when interviewing. Working for less is a real bargaining point if you need to update your skills on the job.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The reality theses days is the smart kids who should be in college don't pay very much on average for it. The average student is paying a lot more.
Yes, this is often the case for state schools. At my (average) high school usually the top ~5-10% of each class got offered a full ride or close to it. In some cases people got a full ride and money back.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
It makes them feel better about themselves. Look, nobody who actually feels good about themselves is going to sit around a bash other people. Why should they? They feel good, they are generally happy and positive.
Then there is the very American habit of putting everything on the individual. So when someone is successful we hold that person up and say "see, now there's a model guy. He did it all by himself"! All the while ignoring all the people who helped get him there! Very few, if any, successful people get to where they are all by themselves. They had plenty of help along the way and probably even stepped on some people and ruined some lives getting there.
Americans like to play "Heroes and Villains." We are an "either/or" society. Either you are worthy or you are not.
Agreed.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Very few, if any, successful people get to where they are all by themselves. They had plenty of help along the way and probably even stepped on some people and ruined some lives getting there.
Is this some sort of excuse for failure? What do you define as people helping along they way? Does that include teachers in college, parents, the bank that gives you the student loan? Or does your statement imply that someone just waved their magic wand and from that point on, you were a success story. And what exactly is success? All of us piddly folks earning 40K-60K a year probably aren't considered a success by those earning millions, while many Americans hope to get to the average income level.

In some people's eyes, I am not a success story, and I don't loose any sleep over that. Don't understand why success would include destroying someone else's life though???

Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think the economy has really improved as much as the media would have you believe. Far too many people are still struggling, and if you ask me, that is the most important part of the equation. Sure, some are doing fine, but too many are not finding jobs, and even more are not finding decent jobs. McJob creation is not a sign of things getting better, unless you are happy with a career burger flipping job.

While I will glance at the unemployment numbers, we all know the books are cooked. You can't trust that as much of an indicator, and we all know the reasons why.

That's the thing. I hear people say that if a person is not employed by now, they just don't want to work. They believe the hype in the media and think that things have vastly improved.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
It makes them feel better about themselves. Look, nobody who actually feels good about themselves is going to sit around a bash other people. Why should they? They feel good, they are generally happy and positive.
Then there is the very American habit of putting everything on the individual. So when someone is successful we hold that person up and say "see, now there's a model guy. He did it all by himself"! All the while ignoring all the people who helped get him there! Very few, if any, successful people get to where they are all by themselves. They had plenty of help along the way and probably even stepped on some people and ruined some lives getting there.
Americans like to play "Heroes and Villains." We are an "either/or" society. Either you are worthy or you are not.
Nothing more need be said.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That's the thing. I hear people say that if a person is not employed by now, they just don't want to work. They believe the hype in the media and think that things have vastly improved.
Alright. So there has to be a point this is true. How many years can one be unemployed before the reality is they are doing something wrong?

Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Alright. So there has to be a point this is true. How many years can one be unemployed before the reality is they are doing something wrong?
Why is it always the unemployed that HAS to be wrong?

I am not talking about those unemployed for years. People that are unemployed are getting stepped on for being out of work for anywhere from 1-3 months. If you think things have greatly improved then you are living in a fantasy land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment