Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Yeah that sounds like a real attitude of entitlement. That word is being flung around so much that it has apparently lost all meaning. Entitlement would be sitting on your ass and expecting everything to be handed to you.
Which is effectively what the OP is doing. Applying for jobs is about 10% of job hunting. Building the right skills to become valuable, networking with the right people, volunteering in your spare time, THAT is job hunting. Blindly sending out applications is something any trained monkey can do, and will rarely land you a decent job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Several things. Firstly, people just cannot up and relocate. Most people have houses, families, roots. They cannot move to Texas to make 10 bucks an hour putting radiator hoses on. By the time people are at this level, they are usually so broke and in debt that this is not a realistic option. Secondly if you have submitted over 500 applications and no job yet, something is wrong. Either it is your resume, the jobs you are applying to, or just you. It is time to get creative. Blindly sending in Internet applications obviously not working. Lastly you might have to network and kiss a little ace to get where you want to be in life. I am not saying suck your way to the top (although that does seem to work) but smooze a little bit here and there. A LOT of anti social people exist on this forum, and will tell you not to do that, but why would you ask unemployed people how to get a job. The definition of insanity is the state or quality of being insane.
These seem to be the most popular advice given on this board which is stupid and it annoys me so much.

1. Relocate
2. Start your own business

That's all you see on this board and it has to be the dumbest advice you can ever give someone

Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Which is effectively what the OP is doing. Applying for jobs is about 10% of job hunting. Building the right skills to become valuable, networking with the right people, volunteering in your spare time, THAT is job hunting. Blindly sending out applications is something any trained monkey can do, and will rarely land you a decent job.
So how about giving examples on how people should network instead putting people down ?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Excellent post! When I was unemployed, it seemed like the more I complained about my situation, the more I felt sorry for myself, the more depressed I became. Being depressed is no way to get a job. Whether it pays minimum wage or $100,000, you are not getting hired if you are depressed.

I would recommend to all unemployed people to keep going. You have to keep doing something. Volunteer, do freelance, take classes, take a survival job, start a business, take free classes online, join a church or synagogue. You need to do something to stop feeling sorry for yourself. I know this from my own personal experience. My life stopped when I was unemployed. I felt sorry for myself, became severely depressed, and was driven to the brink of suicide.

I do feel a 100% better now that I am busy living again.
Yep, and I've done this. I volunteered as a Big Brother. I'm going to church. I'm praying to God for a miracle (and I'm not religious). I've struggled to think of some sort of business, to no avail. I'm on the brink. If it gets to a homeless situation, thats the point I'll commit suicide.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
RANT:
I did everything right I dont understand! I did the multii-internships,i went to the top school, i got a real major, i got experience in college, i got the grades..and have applied to over 565 jobs and i'm just tired of not working..
Maybe a rewrite of your resume by a professional resume writer might make a difference..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe a rewrite of your resume by a professional resume writer might make a difference..
That;s one thing I have a habit of doing, my resume never stays the same going into a new month but I don't go to a professional resume writer. But I believe in doing things different if you see no positive results week after week after week.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So how about giving examples on how people should network instead putting people down ?
I am always surprised that this isn't obvious to people, but fine. Here are a few examples/pointers.

I was out with some friends, and overheard a guy at the table next to us talking about Auburn (since we were watching them play football at the moment). We started talking to that group and ended up pushing our tables together. We all ended up getting along pretty well and started hanging out to watch games every once in a while. After a few months, I found out a friend of his works for a company that I really like. I wasn't looking for a job at the time, but at the end of the night he offered me an interview on the spot. Talk to people. Be social. Go out every night. Talk to strangers in coffee shops. talk to people in line in a grocery store, be a fun person to be around. Get to know as many people as possible. That is true networking. It is an attitude more than anything. Hell, I got the job I have now by doing this. I would go out to lunch with a friend who worked close by, but for a different company a few times a year. For two years, every time I stopped by his office I would get there 15 minutes early and just chat with people in the lobby. After a year and a half of that, a manager who works there had a job opening and approached me about it. Just get to know as many people as possible.

Also, continually improve yourself. Always assume there is a very real chance you didn't get the job because you weren't good enough. Read self help books. Rewrite your resume for every single job you apply to. Practice mock interviews. Read books on small talk, body language, etc. The minute you stop wondering what YOU did wrong in the interview is the minute you should realize that you are in trouble.

So go ahead and criticize me for saying these things. People on this board seem to rabidly against doing things like this to find a job.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am always surprised that this isn't obvious to people, but fine. Here are a few examples/pointers.

I was out with some friends, and overheard a guy at the table next to us talking about Auburn (since we were watching them play football at the moment). We started talking to that group and ended up pushing our tables together. We all ended up getting along pretty well and started hanging out to watch games every once in a while. After a few months, I found out a friend of his works for a company that I really like. I wasn't looking for a job at the time, but at the end of the night he offered me an interview on the spot. Talk to people. Be social. Go out every night. Talk to strangers in coffee shops. talk to people in line in a grocery store, be a fun person to be around. Get to know as many people as possible. That is true networking. It is an attitude more than anything. Hell, I got the job I have now by doing this. I would go out to lunch with a friend who worked close by, but for a different company a few times a year. For two years, every time I stopped by his office I would get there 15 minutes early and just chat with people in the lobby. After a year and a half of that, a manager who works there had a job opening and approached me about it. Just get to know as many people as possible.

Also, continually improve yourself. Always assume there is a very real chance you didn't get the job because you weren't good enough. Read self help books. Rewrite your resume for every single job you apply to. Practice mock interviews. Read books on small talk, body language, etc. The minute you stop wondering what YOU did wrong in the interview is the minute you should realize that you are in trouble.

So go ahead and criticize me for saying these things. People on this board seem to rabidly against doing things like this to find a job.
probably because message boards attract introverts, and the first thing you described sounds like a living hell as an introvert lol

Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Excellent post! When I was unemployed, it seemed like the more I complained about my situation, the more I felt sorry for myself, the more depressed I became. Being depressed is no way to get a job. Whether it pays minimum wage or $100,000, you are not getting hired if you are depressed.

I would recommend to all unemployed people to keep going. You have to keep doing something. Volunteer, do freelance, take classes, take a survival job, start a business, take free classes online, join a church or synagogue. You need to do something to stop feeling sorry for yourself. I know this from my own personal experience. My life stopped when I was unemployed. I felt sorry for myself, became severely depressed, and was driven to the brink of suicide.

I do feel a 100% better now that I am busy living again.
There is much truth here. And by the way, I took a break from the board and didn't realize you had found a job. Congrats!

I took a survival job working for the census in 2010 that I was lucky enough to stretch out to nearly 8 months. Then, last summer, I took another survival job of sorts (paid more than minimum wage, but still not great). Those things helped me expand my network (big since I am still relatively new in town), get good references, and re-gain my confidence. Someone I worked with at the census has now helped me get into a great situation doing something I like at a decent wage for this area. So, even if a situation comes along that seems less than ideal, take it if it's your best option at the time and make the best of it. You never know where it can lead down the road.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM

89 posts, read 240,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Yeah that sounds like a real attitude of entitlement. That word is being flung around so much that it has apparently lost all meaning. Entitlement would be sitting on your ass and expecting everything to be handed to you.
ignore hnsq. he gets a kick out of trolling the unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment