Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times

Advertisements

Work or starve? I think there are a few people on welfare that might disagree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,914,788 times
what an uneducated and insensitive way to compare us to slaves when in this country's history we had slaves who would have done anything to live the lives we live today

How disrespectful and dishonorable to the slaves that sacrificed their lives, dignity, and families all to make the white man another dollar.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,021,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
what an uneducated and insensitive way to compare us to slaves when in this country's history we had slaves who would have done anything to live the lives we live today

How disrespectful and dishonorable to the slaves that sacrificed their lives, dignity, and families all to make the white man another dollar.
Hows it disrespectful?

Why do people automatically assume that this country's slavery is the only form of slavery?

Just because our slave masters of the past were lazy, cowardice, underhanded, and cruel doesn't mean that they were all like that.
OK I will keep calling it a bad economy just to make you feel better.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,215,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I say more of indenture servitude
So, how long must I serve before I am free? I'm 67 and have been working since I was 15.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Hows it disrespectful?

Why do people automatically assume that this country's slavery is the only form of slavery?

Just because our slave masters of the past were lazy, cowardice, underhanded, and cruel doesn't mean that they were all like that.
OK I will keep calling it a bad economy just to make you feel better.
Very simple. Slaves had no options. Your career is what you make it. If you aren't happy with it is on you and not an employer.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,831,353 times
Any job that does not allow you to lay down and rest when needed - will kill you- It's worse than slavery...at least with slaves you could forget your worries and sleep at night. I tried to express this idea to my straight laced mother in law who is so proud to work..and her whole identity is dependent on her career..but after all is said and done- and now that she is old- she was disposed of like a worn out slave...I warned her but she was arrogant...she actually thought she was free.

When it takes A MAN AND A WOMAN- to finance a family- you know you live in a slavery..when the woman can not even raise her own child that comes from her own body...

Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post
So you think that going to work today is like in the past where you be owned by someone and you were their property so you could be:

Beaten
Have your family taken away
Be sold regardless of if you wanted to go
No chance of promotion or leaving
No chance at education
Worked over 12 hours per day

Of course, all this with no pay. You really think that you are a slave?
Yes. This is a ridiculous and offensive comparison.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,004,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Most people just dream of getting by nowadays. It is depressing.
You're right, unfortunately.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 AM

14,411 posts, read 14,334,102 times
Everyone who talks about how bad it is that jobs are being outsourced, that jobs are low paying, and that there are too few job opportunities in this country should take a careful look at themselves. How much cheap junk are you buying that is made in China? How many clothing items do you own that were made in Honduras or El Salvador? Do you own a car that was made in Japan or Korea? Do you take the attitude that the only car you'd consider owning is a foreign car?

More importantly, what is your attitude toward labor unions? Do you ridicule them? Do you moan about your $10 an hour job and than curse labor unions with your next breath? I know people like that. They never seem to grasp any connection to their behavior and what has occurred. Do you support politicians that are "anti-union"? Do you support politicians that want to give the wealthy endless tax breaks?

Turn about is fair play and while many Americans don't deserve what has happened to them in this economy, there are others that probably do. You can't have it both ways. You can't have cheap foreign products for yourself and than complain when no jobs are left in this country. That's a reality you better stand up and face.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Everyone who talks about how bad it is that jobs are being outsourced, that jobs are low paying, and that there are too few job opportunities in this country should take a careful look at themselves. How much cheap junk are you buying that is made in China? How many clothing items do you own that were made in Honduras or El Salvador? Do you own a car that was made in Japan or Korea? Do you take the attitude that the only car you'd consider owning is a foreign car?
Wait a minute. You want people to actually do something instead of just complaining? That won't go over well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment