Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Why would it return to the levels of an inflated bubble? What one thinks is underemployment depends on the perspective.

It has nothing to do with "perspective" if you are employed at some level below what your skills would otherwise dictate, you are underemployed.

A 4th grader could probably handle a job at McDonalds. Why are there college grads flipping burgers then? Why are there even high school grads there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
My point is, people make what their worth relative to the market, and that waxes and wanes with the economy. A guy who builds homes for a living may have been worth $30/hr in 2004, but he would be hard pressed to find that in this economy, where new housing starts are minimal. Unfortunately, a lot of people are unfortunately only worth $10/hr in this economy, because people like them are everywhere, and desperate. Hard to imagine the economy growing much with the consumer base not having wages to support healthy consumption, and credit being reeled in.
This is bull. People make what they can negotiate, that is why the wages for even identical positions vary greatly. Almost nobody will be paid what they are actually "worth" because that would completely erase the profit margin of the company, which is 100% constructed of stolen labor value.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
I think the thing people miss is this their will not be a turn around. The papers the media Wall Street the government they are selling a turn around. But it is just not there. Fed is going to do QE3 to help Wall Street. They keep pumping money in Fannie Mac and Freddie Mac it is now up to 100's of billions of dollars. If they fail their goes the housing market. If the Fed raises the rates above 0% it will kill whatever growth we do have. Their are reasons the Fed keeps printing money dumping money in the market. They buy our debt keep the rate at zero why? Because they have to keep the economy from going down the tubes. None of the big issues were fixed their only buying time.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
It has nothing to do with "perspective" if you are employed at some level below what your skills would otherwise dictate, you are underemployed.

A 4th grader could probably handle a job at McDonalds. Why are there college grads flipping burgers then? Why are there even high school grads there?
Please provide data on how many college grads are flipping burgers.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
This is bull. People make what they can negotiate, that is why the wages for even identical positions vary greatly. Almost nobody will be paid what they are actually "worth" because that would completely erase the profit margin of the company, which is 100% constructed of stolen labor value.
Nobody is paid what they are worth? What do you make now and what do you think you are worth?
Average salary for college grad mid career is around 50k I think.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
People can negotiate what they want. If the market won't bare it, you will not get it. And select jobs have certain labor market rates. A burger flipper won't get $15/hr in most parts of the country because 1) the company wouldn't make a profit or 2) there are plenty of other people in line who would accept minimum wage. This is simple principles of economics. Supply and demand and total sales minus unit labor costs + operating expenses. Much more involved of course, but you should get the idea.

And different companies have different wage scales for many reasons. Mostly it depends on the marginal value of the goods and services they provide. Hard to sell a hamburger for 1 dollar and pay someone 30 bucks an hour. Now, if they could get away with charging $5 for that burger, and enough people were willing to pay that price, they could afford to pay the burger flipper more. Perhaps one chain offers a burger everyone wants, and is willing to pay a premium for. Well, that company can then afford to hire the best and most reliable workers for the job, and perhaps pay a better wage. With most things today, people are buying on price first, which is why run of the mill grunt employers are overwhelmingly subjected to substandard wages. Don't like it? Go work for the oil companies. People will pay $4/gallon for gas, which can support good wages for the grunt workers.

Of course, there is always the option of gaining a skillset that is unique and difficult to find. Supply and demand can have a positive effect in that regard. I'm surprised I should have to give something of an economics 101 lesson on here. Were we not paying attention in highschool? Perhaps skipping out at lunch and partaking in a little extracurricular puff of the doob?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Nobody is paid what they are worth? What do you make now and what do you think you are worth?
Average salary for college grad mid career is around 50k I think.
Sounds like a fair statement. I tend to believe college counselors, who were probably being paid right around 35K a year, gave a lot of these young kids delusions of grandeur. Of course, the part about showing up on time, everyday, and actually being a productive as possible was not part of the discussion. It is not an easy road to become a productive career minded adult, which is why many inevitably never make it. Of course, they hold a grudge against the world because of their shortcomings.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM

133 posts, read 192,476 times
I think the experiment started with black people and ended with everybody else.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Yes times are tough. But this is the way it is. FAce it, our country has had a wonderful time of prosperity since the end of WWII. But if you look back, it was not always that way. In the 20's, a 6 day work week at Ford Motor Co, was the norm. Go to Mexico and see how those people hustle who work in hotels. They need the job. If you take the attitude that your glad to have the job and are thankful that you are a lot better off with all those people who wish they had your job, you might be a little happier.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Yes times are tough. But this is the way it is. FAce it, our country has had a wonderful time of prosperity since the end of WWII. But if you look back, it was not always that way. In the 20's, a 6 day work week at Ford Motor Co, was the norm. Go to Mexico and see how those people hustle who work in hotels. They need the job. If you take the attitude that your glad to have the job and are thankful that you are a lot better off with all those people who wish they had your job, you might be a little happier.
The 20's were a relative time of prosperity in this country. Ford was a very fair paying place to work. It was General Motors that was always the worst. The saying goes, the worse the company treats their employees, the worse the union they get will be. GM was the worst, as many of their machinists were working on piece rates. Men were working 12 hours a day just to scrape by. People have a breaking point. Men were tired of coming home dead tired, and seeing their families suffer because of it.

Actually, Mexico has been turning into a more positive place for the workers as of late. The middle class has been growing, families are buying nicer homes and buying cars. Of course, there is a big divide, much like this country. There has always been a divide in this country. The difference is, one could just accumulate the wants via credit. I wouldn't call that a sign of prosperity myself, although it sure did appear that way for awhile.

People will be thankful for a job for awhile. Eventually, they want more. There is no reason to believe the labor market won't evolve, like it always has done historically. The pendulum swings. Maybe "occupy Wallstreet" was just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe people will organize, like they always have done historicly. We are the number 1 economy in the globe. That affords the American worker some form of bargaining power in the long run. People in slave wage nations have never experienced prosperity. We have. That gives every American something to work towards.

And personally, seeing one "hustle" on their job is not an indication of thankfulness for their job, or a sign of anything really. I always work hard on my job, but it doesn't mean I'm some sort of slave. It means I'm enthused about my work and like to work in general. American's would be working considerably harder on average if that "hustle" was a sign of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment