Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Many of these things increased along with inflation. Health insurance is a different story, but 1/3rd of our population is obese. Of course that will come at a cost. Maybe if we had more opportunity to exchange sweat equity on the job, that problem may result. We have a whole lot of illegals in this country doing the actual work though, and a lot of other industries have been packed up in search of the cheapest laborer.

With these increases, what didn't increase was the worker's take home pay. Hence, the extreme value market shopping everyone with a little money is engaging in. When people had more discretionary spending $$$, they didn't mind paying enough to support a healthy profit margin, and sales we enough to sustain natural business growth.

And regarding minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, it was higher in 1970.
What we should have done if we had a minimum wage at all is to have one that includes all of the costs, including benes, which would motivate employees to use some cost control with others wallets, as obesity driving up employer costs, would reduce what is left as the minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,986 times
Quote:
What management seems to hate most about unions is their ability to offer leverage and a voice for the worker.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
My husband got a job driving a delivery truck for $7/hour in the mid '80's. That was considered a low wage back then. Now, almost 30 years later, similar jobs pay the exact same amount.
When I moved to the Chicago area in 2000 the local grocery store started their employees at $7.25/h. Now, twelve years later, they pay new employees $8.25, a 12% increase, and that's only because that's Illinois minimum wage. In the same time period a gallon of milk has gone up by 30% and many other products have gone up by similar amounts. Please tell me why wages could not have gone up at the same rate as everything else?

Benefit costs, especially Health Care, exploded during the same timeframe. If you turn in your insurance and could waive your rights to it during all future enrollment periods, your boss would happily split the cost savings with you.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I really don't thni so . Unions i time got to be porice setting monpolies and limiting memebrship. Lie beig i the Mob really.You owed your soul and job to the unioi leadership. Turned into just anther good ole boy system that evtua;lly lead to teh demise of many american inductries being able to compete.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
What we should have done if we had a minimum wage at all is to have one that includes all of the costs, including benes, which would motivate employees to use some cost control with others wallets, as obesity driving up employer costs, would reduce what is left as the minimum wage.
I doubt there are any minimum wage jobs that include benefits. You could bring up the issue of FICA and all that, but the same burger joint down the street has to pay that as well. Yes, they cost something out of the owners pocket, but every game in town has to pay into them, so it's a level playing field.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I doubt there are any minimum wage jobs that include benefits. You could bring up the issue of FICA and all that, but the same burger joint down the street has to pay that as well. Yes, they cost something out of the owners pocket, but every game in town has to pay into them, so it's a level playing field.
That would be news to my sister, or her coworkers. Wal Mart insures about 1/2 its employees; Wal Greens an even higher percentage. Now they do not often start folks at minimum, usually about a quarter an hour more.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
Quote:
This is partly why I wish that the US had universal healthcare. It would actually take that burden away from employers. Helathcare should not be tied to employment, period.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Now they do not often start folks at minimum, usually about a quarter an hour more.
So if that person works 8 hours a day, he gets paid a full $2 extra each day- that's two bottles of Coke.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
So if that person works 8 hours a day, he gets paid a full $2 extra each day- that's two bottles of Coke.
Plus, the Health Care employer portion cost is equal to another $2.50 per hour per person covered. Or $20 per day per beneficiary.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Plus, the Health Care employer portion cost is equal to another $2.50 per hour per person covered. Or $20 per day per beneficiary.
And how many of those ground level, quarter above minimum wage worker are being given enough hours to quality for the health insurance? And how many could even afford the employee portion of the payment? I could only imagine how many would opt out to put a little extra money in their paycheck to feed the family, and prey nothing bad happens until something better comes along.

When you say 1/2 of the workers are insured, which would fit the bill... Corporate headquarters or Brenda the grocery bagger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment