Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM

137 posts, read 266,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Regarding the BMW plant in S.C., they are building cars not only for the U.S. market share, but for global export. I'm assuming they are not in a rush to utilize more cheap American labor.

And no doubt about it regarding the others looking to build in the south. They are coming here for one reason. To manufacture a product closer to the end consumer, utilizing the cheapest labor possible. Are they going to be merely assembling the vehicles here, or will they actually be manufacturing the parts as well? I'm curious to know. It is interesting that a cheap labor nation like South Korea would actually be interested in building a car in a more expensive labor country though.
I don't really disagree with what you said. But since when is South Korea a low wage country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post
I don't really disagree with what you said. But since when is South Korea a low wage country?
I should have said "lower" wage nation.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
At the same time, many European businesses have been offshoring their union labor to our non union production facilities. Much of the work is being done by temps. This has a marginal advantage, as most of those workers in those U.S. facilities are paid so little that they must rely on tax payer subsidies just to survive. In my opinion, someone working 40 hours a week SHOULD NOT require subsidies just to survive. That is not the mark of a 1st work nation, that is the mark of a slave wage nation. We are the new China for many of these European countries. Yes, we are getting their work, but at what cost?
My thoughts exactly. Anyone working 40 hours a week should be able to survive without government assistance. In essence, companies paying such low wages are profiteering partly by benefiting from government / taxpayer subsidised labour (yet we always blame the working poor themselves rather than the net beneficiaries of thier underpaid labour).

Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

Fast food joints. Imagine burger-flippers making $22 an hour, with 6 weeks off a year and full bennies. Yep, that'd be possible if every fast-food worker in the US were part of the new Quick Service Restaurant Union...lol. Sure, Big Macs would then cost $7, but would that be such a bad thing to have in this country? Maybe people would eat at home more, and not get so F-A-T eating that gross fast food all the time.
So raise the wage, and then raise the prices knowing full well that they'll lose most of their business....

Your burger flipper is going to end up with $0 an hour with 52 weeks off a year.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
My thoughts exactly. Anyone working 40 hours a week should be able to survive without government assistance. In essence, companies paying such low wages are profiteering partly by benefiting from government / taxpayer subsidised labour (yet we always blame the working poor themselves rather than the net beneficiaries of thier underpaid labour).
That's a perfect way or putting it.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
So raise the wage, and then raise the prices knowing full well that they'll lose most of their business....

Your burger flipper is going to end up with $0 an hour with 52 weeks off a year.
How is it that fast food places in Australia are able to pay their min wage of $15+ an hour and still stay in business? Sure, those burgers and fries cost more than here, but they woof 'em down just the same - maybe because working people in Australia aren't making poverty wages.

I'd like to know why wages have gone up in most other countries of the world while ours have gone down when adjusted for inflation - case in point - when I worked part-time for UPS in 1990, I was making $9 an hour. How much does that job pay now? You guessed it - $9 an hour. The job I had one summer at a theme park paid something like $7 an hour. What does that job pay now? Usually around $7.50 an hour.

Something's clearly gone wrong in this country, and it's up to all of us to try and fix it - by demanding employers *pay a fair wage.* As Dragonborn mentioned, employers are mooching off the taxpayers by paying so little that they need food stamps and other assistance just to make ends meet. That's why I never trust what "free market" advocates say, as they only advocate what's good for business, never what's good for the rest of us that actually have to work for a living.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:

Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
How is it that fast food places in Australia are able to pay their min wage of $15+ an hour and still stay in business? Sure, those burgers and fries cost more than here, but they woof 'em down just the same - maybe because working people in Australia aren't making poverty wages.

I'd like to know why wages have gone up in most other countries of the world while ours have gone down when adjusted for inflation - case in point - when I worked part-time for UPS in 1990, I was making $9 an hour. How much does that job pay now? You guessed it - $9 an hour. The job I had one summer at a theme park paid something like $7 an hour. What does that job pay now? Usually around $7.50 an hour.

Something's clearly gone wrong in this country, and it's up to all of us to try and fix it - by demanding employers *pay a fair wage.* As Dragonborn mentioned, employers are mooching off the taxpayers by paying so little that they need food stamps and other assistance just to make ends meet. That's why I never trust what "free market" advocates say, as they only advocate what's good for business, never what's good for the rest of us that actually have to work for a living.
Excellent, excellent point. It's so shameful to blame the working poor and treat them as failures when we the taxpayers are subsidizing businesses that deliberately underpay in order to raise their profits.

And I don't think all businesses will fail if they pay a working wage. A rising tide lifts all boats. There will still be a level playing field and the population will have a greater disposable income.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quote:

So what you are saying is that if fast food restaurants are required to pay a living wage, NOBODY WILL EVER BUY A BURGER AGAIN!

Really?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
So what you are saying is that if fast food restaurants are required to pay a living wage, NOBODY WILL EVER BUY A BURGER AGAIN!

Really?
Why would people pay more for a burger? The price at a McD's would approach a sit down restaurant, and the low price is the number one reason a McD's can capture significant market share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment