Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,890 times

Advertisements

Good luck to all the people who want to work. Maybe some of you could become advocates for others and guide them. I know it's not a paying job but you would be helping those who can't navigate the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Amen. I know several people who claim they have a personality disorder that makes it impossible for them to get along with others.
Oh! I have that! It's called being a dick.

It never prevents me from working though, but it's fun on c-d.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Come on, this is a depression.
I don't think you understand, though. ... [ ... deletia ... ] ...
As I read it, pvande55 understood it perfectly well. As a matter of fact, calling this economy 'in a depression' is very accurate.
The administration and the news keep using the word "recession" and "recovery." In times past, a recession that lasts more than 4 quarters is a depression.
Recessions that continue to have unemployment over 8% are not viewed as "in recovery."
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Actually I do feel they are being singled. See my post above some fear getting sued some the medical cost in terms of benefits.
The company where I most recently worked laid off the receptionist when they found out that her daughter was going to need some surgery soon.
It was obvious that this was no coincidence.

Last edited by mortimer; 07-09-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Oh! I have that! It's called being a dick.

It never prevents me from working though, but it's fun on c-d.
As I read it, pvande55 understood it perfectly well. As a matter of fact, calling this economy 'in a depression' is very accurate.
The administration and the news keep using the word "recession" and "recovery." In times past, a recession that lasts more than 4 quarters is a depression.
Recessions that continue to have unemployment over 8% are not viewed as "in recovery."
The company where I most recently worked laid off the receptionist when they found out that her daughter was going to need some surgery soon.
It was obvious that this was no coincidence.
Obviously you don't.

Blind people had a 70% employment rate before the depression.

Yes, we are all struggling for jobs now, but that's a constant reality for disabled people, regardless of the economic times, not just a reality during economic recessions or depressions.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Quote:

Blind people had a 70% employment rate before the depression.
Doing what?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
I think people misunderstand the real deal. They just want handicapped people out of the picture. They do not want to pay for ramps or public buses or anything else. They could care less about the fact we want to be productive members of society. Business does want to spend extra money or time to train us in any way. They see only the cost not the fact they would get a good worker. Nor would the taxpayer want any money spent on training programs for the handicapped. They see only the cost. Hey they will not need them their not handicapped right? I have seen normal people's mindset change when they end up handicapped. Often time it may not even be them but having a child or grandchild born handicapped. Their outlook is never the same.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Quote:
Obviously you don't.
Obviously I don't what?

You need to break up the post you are responding to so that people can understand your point(s).

Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 PM

115 posts, read 306,790 times
I think it's great when disabled people want to work and be productive members of society. But I once learned that some people would rather see them not working for none of the reasons listed in this thread.

A couple of years ago, I went to a T.J. Maxx or a Marshalls (forgot which) and saw a young man with Down's Syndrome working there as a stock person. I thought it was great that he was given the opportunity to work, and told a friend about this after I got back from my shopping trip. Well, this person did not think it was such a great idea because they had just graduated college at the height of the recession and they were having a hard time even landing a minimum wage retail job.

The reason this person was upset with a disabled person working? He told me something like, "Look I would never usually have a problem with a disabled person working and if it were still the economy of the late 90s/early 2000s, I would think it's a great thing. But in this economy, it's not fair because they are already getting a check from the government and so they don't really need the job like I do."

So maybe some employers aren't hiring the disabled for this reason? I brought this up because this thread reminded me of that conversation I had.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
There aren't jobs, period. It's affecting everyone.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
I think it's great when disabled people want to work and be productive members of society. But I once learned that some people would rather see them not working for none of the reasons listed in this thread.

A couple of years ago, I went to a T.J. Maxx or a Marshalls (forgot which) and saw a young man with Down's Syndrome working there as a stock person. I thought it was great that he was given the opportunity to work, and told a friend about this after I got back from my shopping trip. Well, this person did not think it was such a great idea because they had just graduated college at the height of the recession and they were having a hard time even landing a minimum wage retail job.

The reason this person was upset with a disabled person working? He told me something like, "Look I would never usually have a problem with a disabled person working and if it were still the economy of the late 90s/early 2000s, I would think it's a great thing. But in this economy, it's not fair because they are already getting a check from the government and so they don't really need the job like I do."

So maybe some employers aren't hiring the disabled for this reason? I brought this up because this thread reminded me of that conversation I had.
I already pointed that out before. Even though they can get tax breaks.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I think people misunderstand the real deal. They just want handicapped people out of the picture. They do not want to pay for ramps or public buses or anything else. They could care less about the fact we want to be productive members of society. Business does want to spend extra money or time to train us in any way. They see only the cost not the fact they would get a good worker. Nor would the taxpayer want any money spent on training programs for the handicapped. They see only the cost. Hey they will not need them their not handicapped right? I have seen normal people's mindset change when they end up handicapped. Often time it may not even be them but having a child or grandchild born handicapped. Their outlook is never the same.
Precisely. If you're ill, handicapped, over 30, overweight, ugly, or otherwise not an example of the "perfect" physical specimen, they don't want you around. It is sick and is just another way to discriminate and keep people in poverty.

My former employer had a deaf engineer who worked for them for years, and he was always treated like a second-class citizen. He did a fine job, but people were troubled that this "deaf guy" was in the area... they'd have to email him vs. call him, and write things down on paper vs. talking to him... oh, it was all so much of a bother! Better to just pretend he doesn't exist... In the end, he retired early vs. being "retired" in one of many layoffs that were focused on older staff members (especially those in ill health.)

What was far more sick was how they treated an older guy who was dying of cancer while trying to care for his wife who was dying of Alzheimers. The guy was a great engineer, had worked there his whole career, and would go out of his way to help others. Well, his horrible illness and the time needed to care for his wife earned him plenty of abuse from management near the end, and when he finally passed away, management's entire response was, "Gee, that sucks - that sets our schedule back a whole bunch of weeks. Why couldn't he have picked a more convenient time to die?" His coworkers were broken up about it, but they are actual human beings, vs. soulless corporate stooges, so there is that difference.

The way people treat the handicapped and ill is horrible in this nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment