Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

For an EEOC complaint there is a deadline of I think 3 or 6 months, but you need to get that info.

For a lawsuit, at least in my state you had 3 years to file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Thanks all. I'm on hold with EEOC now. Said my wait time is 29 minutes. Holy cow!!

Things are crazy here. I just had someone send me a link to the new Facebook page the county has approved to be run. The girl running it is letting one of her friends and a volunteer at the place say HORRIBLE things about me. Now, everyone else that has posted anything - asking where the on line information is, photos are, etc - are being removed immediately. These two comments have been sitting there over 24 hours now. It's obvious that it's total retaliation. Even though it's not done by an employee, but because an employee is running the county approved page and isn't taking down totally false claims against me, isn't that considered retaliation too? I mean, this is a public page that anyone can see. As if I don't have enough to battle in an effort to ever try to find a job in this field again, now I've got this too? I'm getting so frustrated!!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Thanks all. I'm on hold with EEOC now. Said my wait time is 29 minutes. Holy cow!!

Things are crazy here. I just had someone send me a link to the new Facebook page the county has approved to be run. The girl running it is letting one of her friends and a volunteer at the place say HORRIBLE things about me. Now, everyone else that has posted anything - asking where the on line information is, photos are, etc - are being removed immediately. These two comments have been sitting there over 24 hours now. It's obvious that it's total retaliation. Even though it's not done by an employee, but because an employee is running the county approved page and isn't taking down totally false claims against me, isn't that considered retaliation too? I mean, this is a public page that anyone can see. As if I don't have enough to battle in an effort to ever try to find a job in this field again, now I've got this too? I'm getting so frustrated!!

Save everything and make sure you write everything down...dates, names, what happened...etc etc...

Right now the EEOC is handling over 50K claims..you may have to sue...

Good luck-

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
First of all, I am sorry to hear about all you are going through! The attorney who told you that you should start with the EEOC gave you the right information. In order to sue, you will need what is called a “Notice-of-Right-to-Sue” from the EEOC. Attorneys who handle these cases usually do them on a contingency basis, meaning they get paid if you win. There is no need to put down a retainer for most of them.

As for the negative comments in the media and on Facebook, keep careful records of what was said. Keep copies of news articles and print out screenshots of the Facebook comments because you could have cases to sue for libel and slander besides the harassment/retaliation. It is especially sad that a woman is in charge of their Facebook page and is doing this. She should know about the sexual harasser already.

As for the sexually harassing coworker, all I can say is he must know where a lot of bodies are buried for them to attempt to protect him like this. I also found the secret meeting and the changing of the locks to be especially sneaky and underhanded. The County commissioners should have asked you to attend their meeting to at least get your side of the story and see the evidence you had gathered before taking the drastic measure of firing you. They sound like a sorry lot!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Also, better than printing out those screenshots, which is good...email them to yourself and others...it shows the time and date stamp. Especially helpful if you are trying to prove comments were not being taken down, etc...and this will be admissable as evidence. We used it in a child custody case and were applauded for not only taking the photos but having MULTIPLE ways of showing the time stamp.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Save everything and make sure you write everything down...dates, names, what happened...etc etc...

Right now the EEOC is handling over 50K claims..you may have to sue...

Good luck-
*groan* 50k?? I was on hold over 20 minutes. As the lady picked up her phone disconnected. I almost cried. I sent them an e-mail, explained what happened and that I'd like to talk to someone before doing anything else and asked if they can call me so I don't have to worry about the phone dropping again. I'm sure tomorrow I'll have an e-mail saying I need to call them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
First of all, I am sorry to hear about all you are going through! The attorney who told you that you should start with the EEOC gave you the right information. In order to sue, you will need what is called a “Notice-of-Right-to-Sue†from the EEOC. Attorneys who handle these cases usually do them on a contingency basis, meaning they get paid if you win. There is no need to put down a retainer for most of them.

As for the negative comments in the media and on Facebook, keep careful records of what was said. Keep copies of news articles and print out screenshots of the Facebook comments because you could have cases to sue for libel and slander besides the harassment/retaliation. It is especially sad that a woman is in charge of their Facebook page and is doing this. She should know about the sexual harasser already.

As for the sexually harassing coworker, all I can say is he must know where a lot of bodies are buried for them to attempt to protect him like this. I also found the secret meeting and the changing of the locks to be especially sneaky and underhanded. The County commissioners should have asked you to attend their meeting to at least get your side of the story and see the evidence you had gathered before taking the drastic measure of firing you. They sound like a sorry lot!
I did a copy and paste of it. For some reason PrintScreen wasn't working for me. Maybe I was doing it wrong? I've never had a problem with it before though so it frustrated me. I did go back tonight and after 36 hours - or close to it anyway - she did remove those comments.

From what he says she enjoys his harassment. Some of the stories he would tell about her made my stomach turn. I wonder if she knows he says these things about her. I wonder if she'd care. I don't understand some people. And please don't misunderstand me; I'm not a prude. I've always worked with men, most of my career being in law enforcement. It's not a career for people thin skin. But this guy is so incredibly repulsive with his stories, his touching, his innuendos and sorry excuses for pick up lines that he just made my skin crawl and when complaining didn't do anything it really got to me.

Apparently one of the county commissioners told a mutual friend that if I had a problem I should have said something. She told him I did numerous times and he says I didn't talk to the right person. What??!!! When I was hired by the CE he told me if I had a problem or needed anything to go to him. So I did!! And now they're saying that was the wrong person? So why didn't he tell me? Why have I never heard of the person I was supposed to be talking to then? This whole thing is so incredibly frustrating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Also, better than printing out those screenshots, which is good...email them to yourself and others...it shows the time and date stamp. Especially helpful if you are trying to prove comments were not being taken down, etc...and this will be admissable as evidence. We used it in a child custody case and were applauded for not only taking the photos but having MULTIPLE ways of showing the time stamp.
I wish I had spent more time figuring out why that didn't work. I tried a few times and it just kept printing off the website address of another shelter on Facebook. I've been told though that once you put something on the internet, it doesn't matter what happens, it's there forever. I hope that was right.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Hit the button that says "Print Screen" on your keyboard...usually above the delete and insert keys. Open an email and use the "paste" feature...should work.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
One thing to note is that once you file an EEOC action, your name will be forever searchable and connected to this. Future employers will look at this stuff.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Hit the button that says "Print Screen" on your keyboard...usually above the delete and insert keys. Open an email and use the "paste" feature...should work.
Hi bunny,

I have noticed some email accounts don't allow the paste feature. For instance my roadrunner email doesn't allow for it so I have to use a yahoo email account. This may be the problem that the OP is running into.

Also, I would suggest she not only save it in an email (emailing it back to herself and to as many people as she trust) but to her computer by using paint or Photoshop if she has that program available.

I also suggest she save it to a special folder she creates on her desktop for easy access.

Last edited by second right; 10-18-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
One thing to note is that once you file an EEOC action, your name will be forever searchable and connected to this. Future employers will look at this stuff.
I don't think so. I think the EEOC cases are private info. However, if she files a lawsuit that would be public record. Considering what is going on, I think she has no choice but to take action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment