Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,811,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I was aware of the 4 Bay Area deaths from 2009... no one I knew... 4 out of a population of 10 million depending on how you measure the Bay Area.

Quote:
You are clinging to the misperception that the vaccine has risks that are really not there. It does not have a significant risk of death or debilitation.

You may ask for mercury free vaccines if you wish. There is no scientific evidence that they are safer.

The New England Compounding Lab event happened due to problems with the production of preservative free products. Their handling of the drugs was defective. The drugs themselves were not the problem.

The vaccine compensation fund was set up because drug manufacturers were ready to stop making vaccines. It is not there because for some reason vaccines are inherently more dangerous than other drugs. Since 2005, there have been 54 claims made to the compensation fund for deaths related to influenza vaccine. That is just claims, not those that have been awarded compensation. That is less than 10 claims per year out of millions of doses of flu vaccine administered.

The risk of debilitation or death from influenza is many times greater than a serious reaction to the vaccine.
Quite possibly... the New England compounding fiasco is real and a result of a defective manufacturing process... the news has made it necessary for Bay Area Hospitals to send out thousands of letters assuring patients the steroids they received did not originate from this source.

Several times a month I have been tasked to courier compounded steroids to my facility... there are some drug and drug cocktails that now are only available via compounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
But there is no scientific evidence to question the overall safety of vaccines.

Vaccines have saved more lives than any other medical intervention ever.
I may be way out of date... I learned back in epidemiology antibiotics were the savior of the race.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,768,941 times
I would immediately quit if my employer forced everyone to take a flu shot.

I

Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Is the fact that you do not like being told what to do really a valid reason to refuse a vaccine?

The potential for serious ramifications from the disease is far greater than the potential for serious ramifications from the vaccine.

Being misled is a serious problem for me.

Having the director of the County Health Department in my corner should be sufficient... since this is how the requirement was sold to employees.

If it comes down to it.. I am willing to suffer the consequences including dismissal...

Don't know how the facility could justify it since I have now accumulated a small volume of documents supporting my position... and this does not include 21 years of exemplary reviews.

As I side note... the CEO offered to set up a meeting with the chief of infection control... which I gladly accepted.

The meeting has been postponed 3 times now and my informational folder keeps growing.

The new director and administrator has zero medical background... he is a finance person now charged with running a medical facility and the vaccine is his edict.

If I were to guess... I think I was underestimated and they would just like me to go away quietly and continue doing my job.

I am an engineer by training and profession... my specialty is Hospital Emergency Systems and I am very good at my job...

In 21 years my facility has NEVER had a facility related problem cause a case to be cancelled... and this is one thing that my previous boss would bring up at each review...

During Y2K and the earthquakes and power outages, I kept the doors open and it was business as usual.

I guess Accountants see things differently...

Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,683,280 times
My employer offers the flu shot for free, but it isn't required. I wouldn't mind if it were required. After getting a horrible case of influenza in college, I've gotten the vaccine every year. It's not something I'd like to experience again.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,277,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Here's some information from the Center for Disease Control that deals with a number of these issues.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine
Yes, the CDC pushes the flu vaccine and doesn't mention that it can in fact cause "flu-like symptoms". Now, you inject someone with a flu virus (dead, alive, it doesn't matter -- botulism toxin isn't alive but if you ingest it you get botulism), they get flu-like symptoms, but you don't call it the flu? That's just splitting hairs.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 PM

37,217 posts, read 41,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I may be way out of date... I learned back in epidemiology antibiotics were the savior of the race.
Interesting site:

Top Ten Lists Leaders

It gives the top spot to blood transfusion. But note the numbers for vaccines. Penicillin is on the list but accounts for fewer lives saved by far.

I think you have to consider that the majority of things we treat with antibiotics are not life threatening.

Blood transfusion surprised me. I suspect most of those are for injuries rather than disease, but that is still a big number. Clean water and increased crop yields are also big on the list.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,247,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yes, the CDC pushes the flu vaccine and doesn't mention that it can in fact cause "flu-like symptoms". Now, you inject someone with a flu virus (dead, alive, it doesn't matter -- botulism toxin isn't alive but if you ingest it you get botulism), they get flu-like symptoms, but you don't call it the flu? That's just splitting hairs.
Is that why people have become so fond of injecting it into their faces?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 PM

37,217 posts, read 41,453,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No, it's not splitting hairs. The "flu like" symptoms are nothing like the symptoms of full blown influenza and last only a few days. And they are not due to infection with influenza virus. They are a non-specific reaction to activation of the immune system.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 PM

14,452 posts, read 14,403,318 times
Quote:
My objections are based on:

The manner in which it was presented to me.
No one likes to be told what they have to do. However, the very nature of public health and interventions like vaccination is that an element of compulsion is necessary for them to be effective. Immunizations are given not only to prevent someone from getting disease, they are given to keep that person from being able to spread disease to others. If everyone gets on their high horse and decides they don't want an intervention which significantly reduces both mortality and morbidity, the intervention is doomed to failure. If 80% of a population is effectively immunized against a disease, the disease ordinarily can be kept from spreading. If you don't achieve that 80% herd immunity, the disease will spread.

Quote:
The directive under color or authority
Well, gee if Microsoft ran a commercial telling everyone to get their flu shot how effective do you think that would be in terms of getting the job done? The government and public health authorities are the ones with authority here.

Quote:
The lack of information
Anti vaccine phobes are always contending there either isn't enough information or that there is hordes of information out there being "suppressed" by the authorities. Its nonsense. Produce one study one journal article from a reputable medical journal stating we shouldn't get our flu shot, or that flu shots don't work. You can't do it. Comments like "my doctor doesn't approve of the flu shot" are meaningless as authority. We don't know who your doctor is or what he really said. For all I know, he's a naturopath as opposed to a real doctor.

Quote:
The lack of options
The options to prevent flu are a vaccination or flu mist. Nothing else cuts it unless you want to move to a desert island somewhere.

Quote:
Concern over ramifications.
The ramifications are less serious--by far--than the risk the disease poses. If you drive a car you're taking much more risk daily than you are taking a flu shot. Do you ever worry about the risk from that? That's a real problem, unlike the one you describe.

Quote:
As to preventing or limiting sick days... I have a 21 year record and never a sick day... in fact, I have the maximum 480 hours in the extended illness bank...
Has it occurred to you that one of the reasons you might have remained disease free for 21 years is because others are getting immunized and not spreading disease to you? I'm sick of all the people who tell me stories about eating organic food and taking their vitamins. It means zero, zip. Despite the nouveau popularity of such measures there is little that shows scientifically they prevent disease. On the other hand, you get something like vaccination which is proven to prevent disease and the same group can't believe it.

Quote:
When I went to the County Health Director and learned his order did not apply to me and he provided documentation stating the same... really more helpful than I could have imagined... my employer changed the tune and said it is a new company policy...
Well rootie toot toot, you got out of having to take a flu shot.

And, you're an engineer you've said? College educated? In a field that relies on math and science and you choose to reject the efficacy of scientifically-proven vaccine? I'm not impressed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment