Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times

Advertisements

It makes me laugh to see so many people that think they are entitled to high paying jobs and if they can't find one then the government is responsiable to support them, and yet they never give a thought to thinking outside of the box when it comes to good paying jobs.
Example : Go on line at "Refurbishing headlamps " these videos show you how to remove the clouded film on the automotive headlamps. Just look at the number of cars and trucks in the next big parking lot, Food market, Wall-mart , Etc. It doesn't take a large investment or a lot of experence, just the willingness to get a little dirty and WORK !. don't ask for anything free from the government. At the age of 71, I started doing this refurbishing at the camp grounds as I traveled( paid for all of my fuel while on the road. Now that I have settled down for a while , with just a small sign in the rear window of my truck I do 6-8 vehicles a day X $25.00 each ( about $2.50 in cost of materials). I find my self making more per week then I did when I was actuall working full time a job. So when some ome says they can't find a good paying job all I can say from experence is creat a job from the needs of ojuthers out there and quit crying about how bad a time you are having . Only you can change the situation you are in .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
For me it's not about people having to work too much. 12, 13, 14 hour days were the norm for the entire human race for the entirety of human history up until, say, around WWII. So I don't think you can complain much there. Rather it's working that much at jobs that are an insult to human dignity (flipping burgers, putting toothpaste into a tube and the like) and having nothing to show for it. That's part of the problem I think. Being "skilled" isn't necessarily going to save you either. You can work 20 years developing a skill only to have your skill become obsolete or your wage diminished by a new invention - or outsourced to India if nothing else.

Again, I'm anything but a liberal. Far far from it. But I think it's a mistake to say the each person's fate is somehow in their own hands. Clearly there are forces (population movements, globalization, technological advancements, etc) that people are at the mercy of and which they have absolutely zero control over.
First, there is never enough time if you want to learn a new skill or starting a business. If you can free up or use your time efficiently, you can learn faster, plain and simple.

Second, there's more under your control than you may realize. You may need to think outside of the box or even break a few rules (written or unwritten) to get your life in order esp if you're in a desperate situation.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM

361 posts, read 921,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
It makes me laugh to see so many people that think they are entitled to high paying jobs and if they can't find one then the government is responsiable to support them, and yet they never give a thought to thinking outside of the box when it comes to good paying jobs.
Example : Go on line at "Refurbishing headlamps " these videos show you how to remove the clouded film on the automotive headlamps. Just look at the number of cars and trucks in the next big parking lot, Food market, Wall-mart , Etc. It doesn't take a large investment or a lot of experence, just the willingness to get a little dirty and WORK !. don't ask for anything free from the government. At the age of 71, I started doing this refurbishing at the camp grounds as I traveled( paid for all of my fuel while on the road. Now that I have settled down for a while , with just a small sign in the rear window of my truck I do 6-8 vehicles a day X $25.00 each ( about $2.50 in cost of materials). I find my self making more per week then I did when I was actuall working full time a job. So when some ome says they can't find a good paying job all I can say from experence is creat a job from the needs of ojuthers out there and quit crying about how bad a time you are having . Only you can change the situation you are in .
So the tens of millions of people that are unemployed and the tens of millions that are underemployed - they just need to "create" jobs on their own? I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound like a serious solution.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
So the tens of millions of people that are unemployed and the tens of millions that are underemployed - they just need to "create" jobs on their own? I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound like a serious solution.
Or they can sit there and collect welfare or they can try to make money anyway possible within the law. Ill pick the latter then just complaning or doing NOTHING.

What do you think people should do? You still never answered any of us just laughed away.

Where there is a will there is a way. Too many people want to work a 9-5 and make 60k just like that..sometimes you need to do a little more.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Or they can sit there and collect welfare or they can try to make money anyway possible within the law. Ill pick the latter then just complaning or doing NOTHING.

What do you think people should do? You still never answered any of us just laughed away.

Where there is a will there is a way. Too many people want to work a 9-5 and make 60k just like that..sometimes you need to do a little more.
60K is far above the average individual income in this country. Really makes you wonder where people got the idea that this was something to be expected...

Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
60K is far above the average individual income in this country. Really makes you wonder where people got the idea that this was something to be expected...

Education pays

That $1,066/wk (Bachelors) = $55,432

The $1,300 (Masters)/wk = $67,600

The $652 high school grad = $33,904

While not starting salaries, someone with a BA or BS at 60k is simply 8% above the median average for his/her level of education.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Anyone can make 60k if they wanted too...it just doesn't fall into your lap though like some want

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Education pays

That $1,066/wk (Bachelors) = $55,432

The $1,300 (Masters)/wk = $67,600

The $652 high school grad = $33,904

While not starting salaries, someone with a BA or BS at 60k is simply 8% above the median average for his/her level of education.
Some people believe though that just because you have a Bachelor's or a Masters and you went to school for 4-6 years that 55k and 67k job is guaranteed. It isn't....you still have to work for it. If a highschool grad makes 33k they worked for it......why should someone who goes to college just automatically get 55-67k.

I have no college degree....where my 33k? Sure in 10 years I can be that statistic, but I started out at $12 and will have to work for it. Too many college grads think they deserve that 55k job. If I have to earn my 33k share you have to earn your 55k share.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 PM

547 posts, read 939,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Anyone can make 60k if they wanted too...it just doesn't fall into your lap though like some want

Some people believe though that just because you have a Bachelor's or a Masters and you went to school for 4-6 years that 55k and 67k job is guaranteed. It isn't....you still have to work for it. If a highschool grad makes 33k they worked for it......why should someone who goes to college just automatically get 55-67k.

I have no college degree....where my 33k? Sure in 10 years I can be that statistic, but I started out at $12 and will have to work for it. Too many college grads think they deserve that 55k job. If I have to earn my 33k share you have to earn your 55k share.
I've been out of college for close to 8 years now (May will be the 8th anniversary of graduating college) and the highest wage I've had was making 14 dollars an hour. That job only required a pharmacy technician certification (which I have with my bachelors degree). You could have had a masters degree doing along with a pharmacy technician certification and you would still be making 14 dollars an hour. Excluding that job since it required a certification, then my highest paying job post college would be making 11.95 cents an hour and that job required a high school diploma and nothing more.

In the 8 years since I've graduated college, I've never had a job that required a college degree and never had a job that paid 30K to 35K starting off. I would gladly take a job that paid about 33K a year knowing that it could lead to something better.

I never believed I was entitled to a job that paid 50K. But every time I hear people scream college graduates shouldn't be entitled to a high paying job, I keep on thinking that could be something like a 33K a year job. 33K a year isn't a high paying job for most, but it's a start. Something I still haven't seen.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I've been out of college for close to 8 years now (May will be the 8th anniversary of graduating college) and the highest wage I've had was making 14 dollars an hour. That job only required a pharmacy technician certification (which I have with my bachelors degree). You could have had a masters degree doing along with a pharmacy technician certification and you would still be making 14 dollars an hour. Excluding that job since it required a certification, then my highest paying job post college would be making 11.95 cents an hour and that job required a high school diploma and nothing more.

In the 8 years since I've graduated college, I've never had a job that required a college degree and never had a job that paid 30K to 35K starting off. I would gladly take a job that paid about 33K a year knowing that it could lead to something better.

I never believed I was entitled to a job that paid 50K. But every time I hear people scream college graduates shouldn't be entitled to a high paying job, I keep on thinking that could be something like a 33K a year job. 33K a year isn't a high paying job for most, but it's a start. Something I still haven't seen.
Why did it stop at $14 an hour?

Does these particular jobs pay more elsewhere?

You couldn't find anything that could relate to your degree?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
To the original poster,

I know what you're going through. I work for a tiny home-based business. The money is all under the table pretty much. It isn't much, it's part time but it's something for now. My mom's on me about paying rent and I have a bunch of other things I have to pay off before I can have any life. However, I have my own plan for getting out.

I usually go on walks every night after the restaurants with drive-thrus are closed so I can pick up whatever change I can find. With this plus the money from the job, I have around five hundred saved and moving very close to six. I also just had an interview for a little thrift store called Savers out here. Hopefully I'll get the job. It's part time but it will help.

As soon as I get to a thousand I'm planning on investing it. I know Charles Schwabb does this thing where you can open an account with them or something. I also know how risky investing is but I'm hoping to at least double (or more) that thousand. When I have enough I plan to put it toward applying for a patent. I have an invention I'd like to hopefully get on the market. It's another risky thing but, anything worth doing has risk to it (was trying to find a nice quote for that but I couldn't find any).

I would hope, with all that, I can get out and get enough money to pursue other passions.

The only advice I can give is save, save, save and look for even the smallest opportunities to work.
I don't think it's wise to put all your savings into an investment. You need to have some money for emergencies. If you mean invest in stocks I've read it's not wise to invest money if you will need it within 5 years. If 1k is all you have please don't invest it. Have at least 6 months saves first and then invest.

To the OP, like someone suggested maybe look for a roommate? You may have to think outside the box. I hope things get better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment