Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times

Advertisements

We don't discuss stuff like that. Discussing the negative seems to reinforce the negative.
Instead, we keep it light - and usually there's little time to talk non-work stuff anyway.

We all have problems, unfortunately, but to discuss them with coworkers wouldn't solve anything, imho. It would just magnify the problem instead of clearing the mind for solutions.

I'm an empathetic person, but I have too much on MY plate to "eat someone else's meal", too. I'd listen for a bit, then ask the person if THEY have any positive solutions. For every negative, there MUST be a positive SOMEWHERE (as small as the positive may be). Otherwise, we are All screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Ugh! Yes, my co worker always has some major drama, for the last three years, her kids are always sick, or she is sick, her work has been sub par for years. Now, her Father died, and her Mother. So, of course, she has another excuse to blow off work for another year or so, and if I say a word, I am the ''bad'' one.

Of course, she only misses work, not any out of town training, isn't that, ''brave'' of her?!

Meanwhile, back at work, I refuse to do her job. Which means I have almost no work. Because my work depends on her work.

Not my Problem. Supervision has been aware of this issue for quite awhile, and does nothing. No one cares.
I care, she is a lazy person, and makes her drama everyone's drama.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:25 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
I had a manager like that!!! She would always pull me from my work into her office to tell me the latest drama about her boyfriend/baby daddy and how he's using drugs, cheating on her, etc etc etc. Ridiculous.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh! Yes, my co worker always has some major drama, for the last three years, her kids are always sick, or she is sick, her work has been sub par for years. Now, her Father died, and her Mother. So, of course, she has another excuse to blow off work for another year or so, and if I say a word, I am the ''bad'' one.

Of course, she only misses work, not any out of town training, isn't that, ''brave'' of her?!

Meanwhile, back at work, I refuse to do her job. Which means I have almost no work. Because my work depends on her work.

Not my Problem. Supervision has been aware of this issue for quite awhile, and does nothing. No one cares.
I care, she is a lazy person, and makes her drama everyone's drama.
Would doing her job and yours make you seem ... proactive (I guess), and lead to a promotion or raise? Maybe it would make you stand out as a team player. Then, if the time comes for layoffs, you'd be spared. Something to consider, although who could blame you for refusing to do her work...

Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
It's like that everywhere. I worked with a guy at my last job who would complain nonstop about his wife, talk about how stupid she was, how lazy she was, etc. Then a few months later I got to hear about "the divorce." I work with a woman now who complains about her 20-something daughter who "sleeps til noon every day and refuses to work." As if I care about their personal problems.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Would doing her job and yours make you seem ... proactive (I guess), and lead to a promotion or raise? Maybe it would make you stand out as a team player. Then, if the time comes for layoffs, you'd be spared. Something to consider, although who could blame you for refusing to do her work...
Nope. I did that a few years ago. No one cared. And she took credit for the work I did. Team player? Yes. Patsy for someone else? No.

I was actually in trouble for going past my job, and trying to take her job. Put in my place. Okay.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Nope. I did that a few years ago. No one cared. And she took credit for the work I did. Team player? Yes. Patsy for someone else? No.

I was actually in trouble for going past my job, and trying to take her job. Put in my place. Okay.
Sounds like a petty, stupid, and unappreciative workplace to me. But it's better than NO job.
Maybe one day they'll wise up and tell her to shape up or ship out.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM

103 posts, read 164,098 times
Trashy as hell.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If I heard this kind of stuff I would probably start watching that person more closely as well.

People that have that kind of thing going on in their life, and appear not to be embarrassed about it, tend to also live that type of lifestyle.
True.

I once worked with a 28 yr old woman who told us all about how she was going through her 3rd divorce, her various children's fathers were fighting custody arrangements, her brother was threatening to have her arrested over some property of their parents', etc. She turned out to be a pretty bad employee all around, unsurprisingly.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 PM

156 posts, read 447,406 times
It's kind of annoying to have co-workers like this. Everyone has stuff going on in their personal lives, but there's no need to air the sordid details about your cheating girlfriend/horrible ex-husband/unintended pregnancy/hostile parents/loser friends.

I usually try to be nice about the issue by kind of deflecting. "I'm sorry to hear that," or "That's too bad," kind of sends the signal that you're not interested in hearing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment