Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,984 times

Advertisements

Do you or have you ever worked with some that ALWAYS seems to have "issues" going on in their life? The issues could be anything that can be used to take time off or anything that causes them to "want to talk" to the boss about?

I have a gal working for me, ALWAYS something going on and sh always "needs to talk" about her drama.

My cousin got shot
My aunt went to jail
My sisters kids were taken from her by Social services
I forgot to get my medication...........5 days ago, can I take off to go get it.
The list goes on and on.........

I have a few people like this and their issues STRESS ME OUT. My life is FAR from perfect but I kept my personal shyt in check! I don't way my boss down with it nor does he way his boss down. In my experience, it seems more prevalent with non-management hourly staff.

Rocco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,943 times
I guess where I work is a generally more compassionate place. We have one guy who's like that (out of 30) but it's generally responded to with consideration and sensitivity rather than antipathy.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:07 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,465,595 times
"I'm uncomfortable knowing all these personal details about you. I'd prefer to keep our conversations more professional."
Hey, if this gal works FOR you, tell her to ****.
Kindly submitted for your consideration.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,167,812 times
I don't know if I work with any, I focus on work and it's often too busy for personal conversation anyway. My department consists of about 3 people and they have not disclosed anything if they have personal problems. All good.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,938,435 times
I work dead end low wage retail and everyone has issues.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 AM

15,885 posts, read 21,495,440 times
I feel like I'm that employee, but I try not to talk about my issues at work (except to get time off for them) and work with people who have lots of obligations on their own. I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer 4 months onto the job, so that required a lot of time off and even 2 years later, I get every bug that comes through the office. My significant other has serious health issues (advanced glaucoma - diagnosed at age 28), as do my grandparents, and I am really the only one who is able to help talk to doctors, take them to appointments, etc. My parents live 1000 miles away and the other family members in the area aren't reliable or able to parse through medical-speak.

That said, I have two supervisors who each have daughters with health issues. They need to be out quite frequently and unexpectedly due to their children's health issues. If personal or family health keeps us out of the office, we're generally available by email. 95% of my job can be done from home anyway so even if I'm not in the office, I rarely cause others to have to pick up my slack.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 AM

88,772 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I feel like I'm that employee, but I try not to talk about my issues at work (except to get time off for them) and work with people who have lots of obligations on their own. I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer 4 months onto the job, so that required a lot of time off and even 2 years later, I get every bug that comes through the office. My significant other has serious health issues (advanced glaucoma - diagnosed at age 28), as do my grandparents, and I am really the only one who is able to help talk to doctors, take them to appointments, etc. My parents live 1000 miles away and the other family members in the area aren't reliable or able to parse through medical-speak.

That said, I have two supervisors who each have daughters with health issues. They need to be out quite frequently and unexpectedly due to their children's health issues. If personal or family health keeps us out of the office, we're generally available by email. 95% of my job can be done from home anyway so even if I'm not in the office, I rarely cause others to have to pick up my slack.
I don't think your issue is the same. Someone who has cancer, even with the bf with the eye problems, is not the same thing as the employee who always seems to have some sort of unrelated drama every other week. A serious illness is expected to be a long-term issue.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,696,663 times
i worked with a woman who had constant issues and it was definitely grating. i didn't care about her taking time off to deal with things, because it didn't affect me. but she was constantly talking to me about this stuff.

the thing was, the drama was all related to her ex-husband's health problems and messy breakup with his girlfriend (they owned a business together, he lived in the house she owned and did tons of work on it, etc). so my coworker was constantly griping about having to do his bookkeeping work to deal with his audit and help him out with health-related stuff, etc and how demanding he was, but she didn't even really need to be involved in this stuff. it's one thing to be doing it and taking time off because you care about the person, but if you're taking it on totally voluntarily, don't whine about it constantly!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,459,412 times
Cool Hope it doesn't run in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
My cousin got shot
My aunt went to jail
My sisters kids were taken from her by Social services
I forgot to get my medication...........5 days ago, can I take off to go get it.
The list goes on and on.........
If I heard this kind of stuff I would probably start watching that person more closely as well.

People that have that kind of thing going on in their life, and appear not to be embarrassed about it, tend to also live that type of lifestyle.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 AM

23,634 posts, read 24,182,090 times
Yes, I won't go into details though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment