Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 AM

421 posts, read 880,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Nobody notices there is a big red herring?
He is a male,which while I do understand he is great with kids,most parents wouldn't trust a 20+ year old male with their 12 year old daughters.

Sorry if I have offended.

I do find it offensive, but understand that I'm not the average male.

A group had problems controlling the girls within their group last summer and came to me personally for advice. After looking at their group for a few days, I figured they looked well behaved, but were ignored too much and transferred into their group and there were several promotions within our group by the end of the summer.

I would reason that by the time a girl is 12 years old, she likely already isn't getting along with the parents and adults find girls this age to be the most difficult to handle, so if someone presented themselves as capable of handling them, that the parents would be willing to pay over market rate for the privilege.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
That really depends on how much experience he has. Then I call up the other people he has babysat and ask them for their opinion. Also, a 12 year old girl should be able to take care of herself, and tell me if something is wrong. I would be more worried if she is 5-8 years old.

Furthermore, hiring women is not totally risk free either.

I know she would be a girl like that because she came to me about another person at our camp, whom was later fired, though I never forwarded the complaints because I wanted the person to continue acting naturally and because I never actually witnessed said complaints. We were never told why he left but my information tells me it wasn't a mutual departure.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
and I portray the same "lack of professionalism" that I praise here in that camp.
I can't wait to pay someone $30/hour who is proud of having no professionalism! Sign me up!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
I do find it offensive, but understand that I'm not the average male.

A group had problems controlling the girls within their group last summer and came to me personally for advice. After looking at their group for a few days, I figured they looked well behaved, but were ignored too much and transferred into their group and there were several promotions within our group by the end of the summer.

I would reason that by the time a girl is 12 years old, she likely already isn't getting along with the parents and adults find girls this age to be the most difficult to handle, so if someone presented themselves as capable of handling them, that the parents would be willing to pay over market rate for the privilege.
No offense was meant on my part,but many parents don't trust grown men around their daughters.
It isn't your fault,neither mine. All the stories we hear and read,and its hard to not trust someone.

What does that mean your are not the average male?

Also,I'm just saying this because of course,like it or not,it will factor in some parents not wanting you as a babysitter. Which for you would mean reduced pay.

Its like that at my job. Lots of parents don't want male nurses.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:
A. What are the differences between day camp and being a sitter?

B. I can't let this idea go until I re-clarify with this girl and she won't be back from vacation until after Labor Day. I have her cell phone number, but I don't know what kind of plan she has, so I don't want to risk inflating her family's bill if she has a limited number of text messages and has no access to her e-mail while on vacation.
A. You don't know this, yet you believe yourself to be an elite babysitter? I'll give you just one way: a camp counselor's main job is to engage the campers (the thing you are good at). However, that is not what parents are looking for in a babysitter for their 8-12 year olds. (There goes your main qualification.)

B. A grown man with any sense at all DOES NOT contact a 12-year-old girl without her parents' knowledge and permission, and it has nothing to do with what phone plan she has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
No offense was meant on my part,but many parents don't trust grown men around their daughters.
Notice, OP, that parents, don't trust grown men around their children. Dads feel strongly about this one, too. In fact, Dads may feel more strongly about this than moms. You think they might know something?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Quote:
What are the differences between day camp and being a sitter?
Camp counselors are all about activities, and being a counselor you are given everything you need to do your job, such as supplies, snacks, etc. Sitters have to keep the kids normal routine going. You aren't going to "sit" for a kid and have them play games the whole time, you have to make sure they do what the parents want done, hw, bath, dinner, etc. Depending on how late you will be there. It's not about what you think is appropriate, but what they think is appropriate.

If you don't want to ask parents then I agree to go on craigslist or care.com or something to see the going rates.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post

B. A grown man with any sense at all DOES NOT contact a 12-year-old girl without her parents' knowledge and permission, and it has nothing to do with what phone plan she has.
This thread has officially gone creepy. He has the kid's cell phone number?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
I also have a college degree and years of experience.

How is a teen taking advantage of me? She opened up a whole new world of opportunity that I never would have realized. Even if it did turn out to be false, I wouldn't feel taken advantage of, since she would have made a simple mistake and I lost nothing but a few hours of my time.

Maybe you work in a poor market or don't aggressively demand yourself to be paid what you are worth?

Worst-case scenario, maybe I'd nudge my rate down to $20 per hour if her initial claim turns out to be false. But even then, I could see working my way up to $50 per hour through supply and demand. Most people aren't as fun or dedicated to their clients as I am and if two people ask for the same time slot, I could say, "Well this person is willing to pay $30 per hour, so I will watch their kid instead." And then I can make $30 per hour the new expectation. And then repeat again to $35 per hour, $40 per hour, etc.

You don't know it. Maybe you suspect it. But you don't know it, unless you've contacted every parent in the world and convinced them to sign something forcing them to never pay more than $29.99 per hour for a babysitter.
Quote:
It's HER sitter. Of course that's reliable info! The only way it would not is if she was normally a liar anyway, but that is not true.

She is a very intelligent and trustworthy child, so I will trust her.

What type of websites break down opportunities by town? All I see is agency services.
No, if I paid you, you would be taking advantage of me at the price you are asking.

why would a 12 year old know how much her babysitter gets paid?I looked at craigslist just for kicks, and saw sitters asking $10-12/hour. Since don't believe any of us, go ahead and see if you can get any clients at that price. I dare you. Just don't be surprised if you get laughed at.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
P.s. I was only assuming you are a teen because that's the mentality that comes across in your posts.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I can't wait to pay someone $30/hour who is proud of having no professionalism! Sign me up!

I know it's unreasonable to follow the whole topic, but I explained earlier that there's two different definitions of being a "professional."

If you mean being excellent in your field, being able to satisfy your client's every need, etc. then I am certainly professional.

But if you mean having a fake work-related image, outright lying just because you think it will make you more money, always going along with the company line/being politically correct, then no, I'm not professional that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment