Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Any time somebody wants to work, that should be considered a good thing. The whole 'entitlement' argument has become worn out and condescending. There are people who are desperate for any work they can get, like me, so the entitlement accusation becomes null and void.

We have some very deep, deep issues in this country that nobody is doing anything about and not many have a clue of what to do about them either.
How did the visit at the local labor ready go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
They are "entitled" because big business "deserves" to ship our jobs overseas, cut everyone's pay, and give all the money to the executives. Because corporations are "people" and every action is excusable provided money was made.

It is incredible that our nation has slipped so far into the realm of worshiping the task master and kicking people when they're down that those who simply want to earn a living wage - a day's pay for a day's work - are now seen as "entitled." Nobody is asking for handouts here... yeesh...

Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I might be rufflling some feathers here, but I am an Executive Assistant who by no means was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but was raised with the mentality that if you want something, you have to go after it. "Nobody is gonna give you anything". You work for it. Well unfortunately, its coming to that time of the year where layoffs are going to occur with our company. Some have all ready received notice and are complaining that there is nothing out there, meaning no jobs. Im sorry but there are jobs out there, even if you have to make $7.25..its a still a job...I mean it would put food on the table at least or help pay 1 bill. Does our society think that we are good for minimum wage jobs.? I think that we as a society have forgotten where we come from. The minimum wage job does not have to be a long term gig....just something to get you over the hump until you are able to find something better. Right? I just think some of us snurl are nose up at some jobs.. Im sorry, but I want to tell some of my uppity co-workers, "Who are you that you can't work a minimum wage job....Sorry for the rant...but thats the attitude that I perceive. People are living beyond their means...i think thats why think there is nothing out there....I mean why do you need a4bedroom/2bath house and there is only 1 person in the house?.....Too much of keeping up with the Jones, if you ask me.
Hey, you on that high horse! Mom's who stayed home, (because they had to, not because they wanted to) regardless of their previous careers CANNOT EVEN GET YOUR DAMN MINIMUM WAGE JOB! And those who DO, can't afford the gas to get to that minimum wage job!

Have you checked inflation rates yet before writing such a ridiculous post? Do YOU have a job? shut up and be grateful! You don't know dick about what the job market has become.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No I agree but it is tough to run a business. I am leaving say mkpunk Enterprises (a fake name for if I were an independent contractor) out of the argument. Most small businesses fail (because a good number of entrepreneurs think they can run a restaurant) so you may be able to use it as a stop-gap in unemployment. However it is a tough way to live. You have to cut expenses to run and if you use crowd sourcing methods, hope your idea is one of the 44% that gets funded. I have seen good ideas fail at funding goals due to ack of interest. Now, say you have a part-time job while building it up. While you are working you are not spending time for the business (though it can help pays the bills.)

I am not debating the fact that if you are talented and work hard it should work (baring the industry washing up and not having a good accountant.) It just is not as easy as some of these "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" types think it is.
I will agree it is tough to start and run a business, by no means is a real small business an option for everybody. It is an option for some, I will tell you I would rather work 2 part time jobs, while building my business, working 80 hours a week instead of working 50 hours a week for a company where it is just a paycheck to me. I also understand that most people are not me, and they want the safety and security of a stable job the rest of their lives, and that is fine. The world needs those types as much as it needs my types.

There are however plenty of ways to pick up side money, especially if you are young. At 37 years old if I show up on someone's door step asking if they need their lawn mowed people look at me either like I am crazy or they feel sorry for me, if someone 19 or 20 does it they are viewed as an enterprising young man. Same if I show up off a craigslist ad wanting to help people move, or to clean out junk in my old pickup. It was actually considerably easier to pick up gas money for hard physical labor when I was younger then it is for me today.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I might be rufflling some feathers here, but I am an Executive Assistant who by no means was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but was raised with the mentality that if you want something, you have to go after it. "Nobody is gonna give you anything". You work for it. Well unfortunately, its coming to that time of the year where layoffs are going to occur with our company. Some have all ready received notice and are complaining that there is nothing out there, meaning no jobs. Im sorry but there are jobs out there, even if you have to make $7.25..its a still a job...I mean it would put food on the table at least or help pay 1 bill. Does our society think that we are good for minimum wage jobs.? I think that we as a society have forgotten where we come from. The minimum wage job does not have to be a long term gig....just something to get you over the hump until you are able to find something better. Right? I just think some of us snurl are nose up at some jobs.. Im sorry, but I want to tell some of my uppity co-workers, "Who are you that you can't work a minimum wage job....Sorry for the rant...but thats the attitude that I perceive. People are living beyond their means...i think thats why think there is nothing out there....I mean why do you need a4bedroom/2bath house and there is only 1 person in the house?.....Too much of keeping up with the Jones, if you ask me.
Really? They're supposed to lose everything they've worked for and paid for over the years for a minimum wage job? Hopefully your company is doing the right thing and providing some kind of severance and they will all be eligible for unemployment. I personally would never accept a minimum wage job, cause honey at the age of 54 I HAVE PAID MY DUES. It's not about entitlement at all. One of the other posters is right, you still have a job you have no business judging those people who are getting laid off. I was laid off in April along with 10 other people because our data center was outsourced so the company could "save" money (read put more money in their own pockets). The guy I worked with had been with the company for 33 years; it was the only job he ever had. Sweetest person ever to work with and he was only 4 years away from retirement. I've been out of work more times than I can count as a contractor, and yes I do find well paying jobs with no benefits before I use up my unemployment. But it sucks to not have medical and paid vacations and paid holidays. As for keeping up with the Jones's, if they choose to keep the house they've been paying a mortgage on for 20 years and they've invested time and money and emotion in it, it's none of your business.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
They are "entitled" because big business "deserves" to ship our jobs overseas, cut everyone's pay, and give all the money to the executives. Because corporations are "people" and every action is excusable provided money was made.

It is incredible that our nation has slipped so far into the realm of worshiping the task master and kicking people when they're down that those who simply want to earn a living wage - a day's pay for a day's work - are now seen as "entitled." Nobody is asking for handouts here... yeesh...
You are obviously one of the most leveled-headed and truthful posters in Work and Employment. Kudos

Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Sure - small businesses are great - nobody said otherwise:

http://www.sba.gov/sites/default/fil..._Sept_2012.pdf

Reading that over, it all seems great... until you get to page 3. Yep, half of small businesses fail by the 5 year mark. That's not too reassuring... and this document doesn't even get into how much those failures cost the doomed owner.

Now, moving along to another paragraph on page 3:

"How are small businesses financed? Small businesses are financed through owner savings; loans from family, friends, and commercial lenders; bonds; stocks; ownership stakes; and other arrangements."

That's all good, but the average unemployed person does not have much savings, stocks, bonds, etc. And they probably don't have rich friends, either.

Long story short, 4% of Colorado may own their own small business, but here are some questions:

- How many of those small businesses will be around in several years? And how much damage did the company's failure do to the ex-owner?
- How many of those small businesses actually pay their owner's bills vs. providing a bit of "play money" on the side. Many people I know sell stuff online, and a friend of mine has a small game publishing company - I get a share of that profit. And despite it being an official small business we've probably made a few hundred bucks total over the past, which is cute but useless for paying bills.
- How did many of these small businesses were started by the unemployed? And how many of those businesses were large enough and profitable enough to pay the unemployed person's bills?

All I'm getting at is just because 4% of a good-sized state is currently are currently self-employed doesn't mean that self-employment can employ the remaining 7% or so of people in that state who need work. Nor does it mean that self-employment is a long-term solution for a large percentage of the population. Self-employment is a decent option to explore, yes, but it's existence doesn't mean that the majority of people are not dependent upon jobs to survive. If we have the right to live, we need to right to work, IMHO.
Nowhere did I say that starting a small business was easy, nor have I ever suggested that everybody should do it, not to mention have I ever said that everybodies finances are going to be perfect if they fail. I simply said that I have met thousands of successful small business people, and you want to talk about people selling junk on ebay, as if that is a real business?

If you think selling stuff on ebay qualifies as a small business, then you do not even understand what a real small business is, those businesses are not counted on government statistics unless they register with the state they are located in. There are companies that sale stuff online that make money, but if you are going into debt to fund a small business idea where your idea is to sale junk you no longer want or that you picked up at garage sales, then you are right you will never pay your bills. I have several friends who sale stuff of value online, that people have a hard time getting for one reason or another, they actually make more than enough to pay their bills, but that is the exception not the rule. As I was once told by a mentor, if someone makes more money from selling the idea on how to make money with something as opposed to actually making their money doing it, then it is not a good way to make money.

The small businesses I am talking about are real companies that provide a valuable skill, commodity, or is something people really need and are willing to pay for. Even those companies have half of them fail in 5 years, but if you do not think those people are paying their bills out of that company at some point you are out of your mind. You think someone who does remodeling does the jobs he has and then works another job or borrows a ton of money to survive? That guy who shows up at 1230 at night to fix that heater you had go out, what time do you think he has to work another job? What about the guy who buys a semi truck and starts hauling things, you think he works his max 11 hours a day, and then goes to another job where he puts in 8 hours to pay his bills? That contract welder going around fixing stuff on farms and in warehouses for other small businesses, you think he just does it for kicks? Hell that moving company that buys a truck and has 3 college kids show up at your house to help you move, I am sure they are doing that while the owner works in a phone room somewhere. What about that auto glass guy who drives around with windshields for cars, I am sure you see his trucked parked outside of a factory every evening for his 8 hour shift. You think the accountant that handles their books and files their taxes does not make any money?

You want to talk about some people needing jobs, you are right they do, but do you even realize that of 50% of the US public actually work for a small business?

One last thing, what makes everybody entitled to have a job? Because you were born you deserve someone else to hand you a paycheck every week? What do you bring of value to a company? Why do you think you are entitled to have someone take money out of their pocket to pay you just because you want it? Because if you have no value to my company you are not collecting a paycheck from me, and if you have no value to another company then they are not going to pay you, and I have yet to ever see a coherent reason why everybody deserves a job spouted from the crowd acting as if it is a given right that someone has to pay you. You want a job or you want to start a small business, then develop a skill people will pay for, otherwise sit at home and keep telling everybody how you deserve whatever you want.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Since when is looking for a job in your career field "entitled?" I don't know, but I thought all sorts of people have been going to college for decades now for a decent job. Now, all of sudden when a college grad looks for a job that isn't low paying, they are called "entitled." Since when did wanting to better one's lot in life become entitled?

I don't know. I am a college grad and sometimes my job has me wishing for death. I seriously don't think I will maintain sanity working in this hell hole for the rest of my life. I am trying to find something better. I don't think I am entitled for wanting a job that pays $30,000 a year or so. Especially since I have BS and work experience.

That being said, I think that if you are unemployed, it might be good to get out there and do something, even if it is part-time. I just don't think it is good that we have so many people who are not active. I would totally support bringing back WPA just to get people moving again. They could still collect UE and work through WPA.

Wanting a decent job is not entitled, expecting to get a job just because you want one, or expecting to start at mid career wages or a mid career position just because you spent a few years learning theories is being entitled. Turning down jobs because they do not meet your specifications exactly when you are starting out, or refusing to work overtime when you are entry level is being entitled. Saying you deserve a job as does everybody else just because you want one is seriously entitled. In other words wanting an entry level position where you can work your way up, or wanting to take the next step up in your career is not what most are referring to when they talk about people being entitled.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Any time somebody wants to work, that should be considered a good thing. The whole 'entitlement' argument has become worn out and condescending. There are people who are desperate for any work they can get, like me, so the entitlement accusation becomes null and void.

We have some very deep, deep issues in this country that nobody is doing anything about and not many have a clue of what to do about them either.
If you are so desperate for jobs why do you continue to ignore the advice and offers for help that so many have thrown your way on here?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hey, you on that high horse! Mom's who stayed home, (because they had to, not because they wanted to) regardless of their previous careers CANNOT EVEN GET YOUR DAMN MINIMUM WAGE JOB! And those who DO, can't afford the gas to get to that minimum wage job!

Have you checked inflation rates yet before writing such a ridiculous post? Do YOU have a job? shut up and be grateful! You don't know dick about what the job market has become.

That seems to go right over some people's heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment