Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is but it is still a part of the picture for the situation. We can't discount people's miss-management because some people did what they had to do to survive.
And what's overlooked here in a country that can't spell the word compassion? Losing a job is liking getting killed, a murder. Some people love a good challenge and will immediately go charging forward without anti-depressants, never looking back, and no optimism is ever lost! A-charging they will go!

On the other hand, there are those who can do all kinds of regrettable things when depressed, feeling defeated and in despair, like putting a foreign trip on their credit card, numbing themselves with alcohol/drugs, rather than searching immediately for a new job, and I don't think anything less of these people.

And then there are those who never fill out another job application. They threw up their hands and off to the Afterlife they went! And I don't think anything less of those people either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 AM

361 posts, read 922,411 times
Is it really "entitlement" to think that the society you're born into has a place for you - will teach you something that will enable you to survive instead of letting you go through the entire system and at the end of it tell you "Well the job you could've had is in China now - go Moderator cut: snip yourself!!!"

Seems somewhat unfair to me

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 09-25-2013 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
People who have gone out of their way to get educated, get specific training, or who want to achieve something in the foreseeable future that the low 7.25 American minimum wage would take forever to earn, are no more entitled than every working person who thinks they deserve scheduled or unscheduled breaks at work.

Terrible thread. But it's bloody entertaining nonetheless.

so because someone choose to go to college they legally deserve the same guarantee as someone who gets a break during the work day?

And people wonder why so many are seen as entitled.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And what's overlooked here in a country that can't spell the word compassion? Losing a job is liking getting killed, a murder. Some people love a good challenge and will immediately go charging forward without anti-depressants, never looking back, and no optimism is ever lost! A-charging they will go!

On the other hand, there are those who can do all kinds of regrettable things when depressed, feeling defeated and in despair, like putting a foreign trip on their credit card, numbing themselves with alcohol/drugs, rather than searching immediately for a new job, and I don't think anything less of these people.

And then there are those who never fill out another job application. They threw up their hands and off to the Afterlife they went! And I don't think anything less of those people either.
Losing a job is like getting killed? Really?

Talk about over dramatic nonsense, I have lost jobs, some were good, some were bad, but I never felt like I was being killed, now when that idiot opened fire in a crowd at a party I was at a few years ago, then I was worried about getting killed, but getting fired, come on it is only a job.

I understand it is depressing, and can take some time to get over, but if losing your job and maybe a few material possessions are enough to make someone want to die they need to take a long look in the mirror. A bunch of sticks put together into a house, having an important sounding title after your name, or a name brand car are not worth your life and only someone that is very materialistic would think that it was.

I have been poor as often as I have had money in my life, I was forced to buy my own school clothes from money I made mowing lawns when I was 10 years old, I lost a 3800 sq ft house in a nice part of town to move into a rent controlled townhouse in a bad neighborhood, I went from driving a Lexus I bought brand new to a $1,000 Buick, but the thought of killing myself over a house or car is ridiculous.

You want to feel dispair, try having a doctor look you in the eyes and tell you your child has less then a 50% chance of surviving a surgery but without the surgery she will likely die within the next 48 hours. That is despair, losing a job is nothing, you are still alive, you are just as healthy as you were yesterday, and there are other jobs out there. Hell yesterday I passed 5 large banners in a 2 mile stretch all hanging off of fences looking for truck drivers and oil field workers, and while I do not need a job today, if I did and could not find anything else, I would be driving a truck by next week (and if you do not know how to drive a truck they will train you). To be honest seeing people justify suicide due to losing material crap pisses me off, it can all be replaced.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
so because someone choose to go to college they legally deserve the same guarantee as someone who gets a break during the work day?

And people wonder why so many are seen as entitled.
spot on with this comment.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
People are living beyond their means...i think thats why think there is nothing out there....I mean why do you need a4bedroom/2bath house and there is only 1 person in the house?.....Too much of keeping up with the Jones, if you ask me.
My tush. Rents are skyrocketing around the country. Where I live, my salary in the $50K range does not afford me a 1 bedroom apartment. And I'm not talking about spending too much in other areas to afford it, I'm saying that landlords WOULD NOT approve me. My bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment is $600 a month, plus another $100 - $150 for utilities (oil heat). I am actively trying to move to a lower COL area, but a person who is only making minimum wage would just be able to meet their rent obligations and likely would not be able to save enough for a move. No living out of your car - most people making under 6 figures don't have one unless they absolutely need one for their commute.

And my apartment is a steal. Most of my friends are paying $700+ for a room, plus utilities. That's more than full time work for someone who is making a low wage. 5 years ago, you could have found 1 bedrooms for $1000 - now it's closer to $1200 or $1300, but wages don't match that. At my grocery store, a good portion of the cashiers have bachelor's degrees. Throw in student loans on top of that, on a grocery store salary.

It's a scary life, and of course people are frustrated.

I'm in a professional job and let me tell you - you don't know what it's like to be making what should be a reasonable salary (at the time, 35K) but having to decide between eating, paying rent, or getting your chemotherapy and related meds. Even two years and a few promotions later, I worry every day about losing my job and dying because I can't afford my meds, have to postpone or cancel a scan, or can't afford next step treatments.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Quote:
I might be rufflling some feathers here, but I am an Executive Assistant who by no means was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but was raised with the mentality that if you want something, you have to go after it. "Nobody is gonna give you anything". You work for it. Well unfortunately, its coming to that time of the year where layoffs are going to occur with our company. Some have all ready received notice and are complaining that there is nothing out there, meaning no jobs. Im sorry but there are jobs out there, even if you have to make $7.25..its a still a job...I mean it would put food on the table at least or help pay 1 bill. Does our society think that we are good for minimum wage jobs.? I think that we as a society have forgotten where we come from. The minimum wage job does not have to be a long term gig....just something to get you over the hump until you are able to find something better. Right? I just think some of us snurl are nose up at some jobs.. Im sorry, but I want to tell some of my uppity co-workers, "Who are you that you can't work a minimum wage job....Sorry for the rant...but thats the attitude that I perceive. People are living beyond their means...i think thats why think there is nothing out there....I mean why do you need a4bedroom/2bath house and there is only 1 person in the house?.....Too much of keeping up with the Jones, if you ask me.

If you took this entire statement by the OP and go back ten years to 2003 I would agree wholeheartedly with her, but this is 2013 and the country in a scant decade has fallen from a solid ranking in almost all levels of employment and benefits to us being on our knees begging for scraps.

Many employed people like the OP hold a view of what the unemployment situation is like from when they were unemployed and looking for work themselves.

Far gone are the days of corporate America providing solid and secure employment and reasonable benefits in trade for loyalty, accuracy, dedication and self improvement for the sake of the company.

Just as corporate America is treating it's workforce and the unemployed people applying for phantom positions so are the workforce and unemployed treating corporate America.
Just as the companies concern for it's employees is gone so is the trust and loyalty of the employees as well as the unemployed trusting anything corporate America says to both groups.

In this case there is no marriage counseling, the divorce happened years ago but the fight over dignity and viability is far from over.

Just as there is survivor's guilt over living through a tragedy that took others lives but not your own the same is true over those like myself who have held a good job through what is arguably one of the worst periods in modern U.S. History while others struggle for a life preserver.

Three months ago a former employee of the company I work for took his own life due directly to this recession and how corporate America has reacted to it.

He was unable to find a job, any job.

The house was foreclosed on and allowed his car to be repossessed since he couldn't afford the payments any longer.

His unemployment ran out as he was searching for a minimum wage job.
No employers in that arena wanted him because he was simply too polished, too educated and too smart to be attractive at the bottom rungs of fast food.

Since he was single he did not qualify for welfare.

He had a decent gun collection which he sold off during his time of unemployment in order to make ends meet.
He sold all of them but a semi automatic pistol which was his fail safe and his doomsday solution.
He implemented that doomsday solution and plan.

I'm neither left or right politically on this issue but when I see a skewed view of the reality millions of unemployed people find themselves in I had to speak up about it.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
I work in Human Resources and the thing that I have noticed is the difference between how the way Caucasians vs. African Americans react to the unemployment situation. As an observer, its seems more caucasians, but not all caucasians think they deserve more regarding a rewarding career, such as great salary, benefits, perks, etc. Not to say that blacks dont think like this...but I see more of it with Caucasians.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Who would be unqualified for a fast food job? Wether you believe it or not, people are being rejected for these jobs. Actually, people aren't even being called back after filling out an application. Like me. How could this be though? Why would they keep advertising for crew members, but after I apply I hear nothing? Why would people like the OP keep screaming about how lazy everyone is, when I'm over here scrambling for any job I can get.

The disconnect is astounding.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
I work in Human Resources and the thing that I have noticed is the difference between how the way Caucasians vs. African Americans react to the unemployment situation. As an observer, its seems more caucasians, but not all caucasians think they deserve more regarding a rewarding career, such as great salary, benefits, perks, etc. Not to say that blacks dont think like this...but I see more of it with Caucasians.

So the Latinos and Asian fit where? and I think what may be shared with you, may not come from someone that doesn't identify with you. So you do not always know who is thinking what- you are in HR-- hmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment