Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I love when people try to correct people's spelling and grammar, and type something to the effect of: "what horrible grammer!"
Did someone do that in this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,258 times
No, but I see in all the time.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
Until I worked for the Fed Govt, I worked physical laboreous jobs, auto tech, install prinkler systems, etc.. So when I got a desk job I basically learned MS office myself...

Old 12-15-2013, 10:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
LOL @ this thread I graduated from college in 1972 long before computers were part of every day life. I'm now 63 years old and test out at expert in ALL MS Office products. How did I do this...self taught and I started out with the first versions, before that I was using the old DOS programs. I just got a new computer with Windows 8 and MS Office 2013, yes there are several things I haven't had time to figure out where they've re-arranged the info on. But really folks, it's not rocket science, if a little old lady like me can figure it out so can you, there are so many FREE resources online.
Congratulations (I guess...).

Nobody said it was rocket science. Nobody said that it can't be learned by people of average intelligence. What is being stated is that working with MS Office isn't 100% ubiquitous and that questioning one's proficiency is a suitable prerequisite.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 PM

453 posts, read 632,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The first Microsoft Office suite was released in 1989. For the Mac, no less. But MS Word was released in 1983 (1985 for the Mac version), and Excel in 1985.
Office's upcoming release was announced in '89, but it actually went live in January of 1990 for the Mac, and in November of that year for Windows.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,830 times
To be honest, most software is very easy to learn. You do everything through the GUI! I can see how some people would struggle if they had to program or use command lines, but you really just have to point and click here!

I am shock how much some of these IT people get paid relative to what they actually do and know!

Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 PM

453 posts, read 632,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
To be honest, most software is very easy to learn. You do everything through the GUI! I can see how some people would struggle if they had to program or use command lines, but you really just have to point and click here!

I am shock how much some of these IT people get paid relative to what they actually do and know!
Actually, IT people generally do go "under the hood" rather than doing everything through a GUI. Also, not every piece of software uses an intuitive GUI.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
MS Office isn't even taught in college now, folks. You are expected to already own it and be able to use it by the time you get there. So with that being said, us millennials have used Office for years. I had a hobby of writing poetry and such when I was little, and I would do this on the computer because I hated handwriting, so I have been using Office for roughly twelve years or more now. Most others around my age probably less than that because I was a writing introvert back in the day

Office is inevitable, really. I had to use it all the time in high school. Not as much in middle school or elementary, but I used Office then too.

Isn't it amazing how I grew up with this stuff, and I know it like the back of my hand, but my parents can barely type?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:11 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
So with that being said, us millennials have used Office for years.
I heard all the cool kids use some kind of LaTeX editor.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Like most software, if you need to use it you will learn it otherwise probably not.
When I was the traveling IT Support person for a large Hotel group I got really good at solving peoples Office problems but am a very basic user myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment