Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I remember using electric pencil on a TRS-80. The only issue was that this was 1993! School district didn't buy new computers for nearly a decade.
That's some serious underfunding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
If you want SPSS for a single license forget it. It's about $5,0000! I also know some software packages that are proprietary to the point where you cannot buy them. The only way is to work for the companies licensed to use it.
I'm surprised that SPSS got that expensive. It used to be the cheaper of the statistical packages. And now with R, I don't see how they can keep it up. Of course, those packages usually have deals for students and with most universities. Though I don't think anybody would learn SPSS so much as learn statistics while using SPSS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:21 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
If it was the late Eighties, it was before MS Office even existed. Office rolled out in 1990.
The first Microsoft Office suite was released in 1989. For the Mac, no less. But MS Word was released in 1983 (1985 for the Mac version), and Excel in 1985.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
I know MS Office reasonably well, but have never held a job that required me to use any of it at all, ever. I learned it for personal use. But even then I haven't used it in a few yrs as I use open source stuff now. I was under the impression that mostly cubicle dwellers or office workers would use it, none of which I've ever done. /shrug

Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I can never get over how often and serious employers are about asking if you know how to use MS Office, and to rate yourself at it. I'm not talking 20k a year jobs either. I'm talking jobs in the 50's and 60k's that require a degree. I mean if you can't figure out how to do email, spreadsheets, and word documents, then you have issues. Especially if you graduated college! I thought those were the first programs you are taught in college. How do you even graduate college without knowing these programs?
Seeing that you come off as a know-it-all brat with this exceedingly pompous original post, I'm assuming you are under the age of 30. Now, it might come as a great shock to you, but MS Office has not been (and, in some places, still isn't) the de facto standard for all that long. So, if one was to graduate college, say, in 1995 and then go to work in a place that used Lotus SmartSuite (now part of IBM Collaborative Solutions), they may have had little exposure to MS Office. Additionally, there are levels of knowledge. Clearly, you must be an expert *condescending smirk." However, there is a difference between between typing a basic letter and creating a business quality presentation. There is also a difference between creating a spreadsheet that balances a checkbook and one that is a full on ledger complete with pivot tables. But I guess you already knew that (not)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The first Microsoft Office suite was released in 1989. For the Mac, no less. But MS Word was released in 1983 (1985 for the Mac version), and Excel in 1985.
MS Office was not the de facto standard in most offices until about 2005 (Office 2003).

Old 12-15-2013, 02:00 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,352,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I suppose it depends what job you are going for. Im OK with Word, but some stuff in Excel cell formatting stuff gives me problems. Anecdotally, I find anything MS related to be very substandard in many ways.
I agree TK. Whenever I upgrade home software, I always purchase a dense How To book, in the event I need to know how to build a table, etc. I've used advanced functions before, but since I don't use them often (sometimes years in-between needing to know how to use certain functions), I always need to take out the book when using more advanced features.

And, MS is a crash magnet for sure, but I've got an MS OS, so I've learned a lot about fixing everything on my own over the past 20-yrs. My Apple friends have always given a wry smile when I've told them of spending time reformatting or retrieving docs after a crash.

Quote:
Ive had to take Prove-It tests in some jobs and passed, but Im stull not entirely comfortable with MS stuff. OFF TOPIC~~ I found on my Prove-It tests, on a lot of questions there is a hint word and to verify a pop-up box will appear with a follow-up question. If you have to take one, and a little perplexed at a question, look for the pop-ups!!!
Thank you for the Prove It info. Just looked it up & I see I can do tests on my own, which I will do. I'm job hunting, so spending the next week going through all the MS Office software I own, book in lap, to learn advanced functions. Never know if/when I'll be tested.

Thanks again.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I can never get over how often and serious employers are about asking if you know how to use MS Office, and to rate yourself at it. I'm not talking 20k a year jobs either. I'm talking jobs in the 50's and 60k's that require a degree. I mean if you can't figure out how to do email, spreadsheets, and word documents, then you have issues. Especially if you graduated college! I thought those were the first programs you are taught in college. How do you even graduate college without knowing these programs?
Lots, and lots of people think they are way better at excel than they actually are. Many of them have no idea how little they actually know.

These are people who think that because they know how to sum a column they know how to do formulas let alone macros.

As for Word, even the brand new, recent college graduate, English teacher in my school had no idea how to turn on track changes in a shared document. So it is not necessarily a college thing.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

Thank you for the Prove It info. Just looked it up & I see I can do tests on my own, which I will do. I'm job hunting, so spending the next week going through all the MS Office software I own, book in lap, to learn advanced functions. Never know if/when I'll be tested.

Thanks again.

You'll be OK

If the question starts with something like "When editing a formatted . . . .", The hint word is "edit" and you will get close by clicking the "Edit" tab on the taskbar. Then, when navigating the pulldown menu after clicking on "Edit", thats where you will want to look for a pop-up box. Its not on all of them, but more than a few.
This is very simplistic, but you get the picture

Good luck !!!!

Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I would think college students are familiar with Word, no? What other word processing programs would they use to type their term papers?
Pages

Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,258 times
I love when people try to correct people's spelling and grammar, and type something to the effect of: "what horrible grammer!"

Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
LOL @ this thread I graduated from college in 1972 long before computers were part of every day life. I'm now 63 years old and test out at expert in ALL MS Office products. How did I do this...self taught and I started out with the first versions, before that I was using the old DOS programs. I just got a new computer with Windows 8 and MS Office 2013, yes there are several things I haven't had time to figure out where they've re-arranged the info on. But really folks, it's not rocket science, if a little old lady like me can figure it out so can you, there are so many FREE resources online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment