Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:14 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I dunno. I see reporters all the time who can't spell or figure out which of two sound-alike words is the correct one, based on online newspaper articles I have read. And I don't see mistakes occasionally, I see them constantly. They are mistakes that someone graduating from journalism school 30 years ago simply would not make. They graduated from college knowing those things. I think people are dumber now than they used to be. You should know how to spell by the time you get out of high school and you shouldn't graduate from college if you can't spell.
Reporters weren't previously expected to spell everything correctly without help. There were multiple layers of editing. Most of those editors have been laid-off or retired and weren't replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:16 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
A lot of people out there will tell you that know how to use MS Office, but they don't know how to do anything "advance" or even "intermediate'.

The sad thing is that everything is very simple and can be done through the GUI. Can you imagine if these people actually had to learn programming?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:18 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sing it.

I have a director who makes almost $200K a year, yet she sends out emails with misspelling and even more annoying, puts a space in front of every comma. So , her sentences , when they include commas , look like this.
Unless that person is a sales director and has very good selling skills or some type of unique and in demand skill set, she probably got that job through nepotism, favoritism, and/or cronyism. It is also possible she got that job from her knees or her back.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sing it.

I have a director who makes almost $200K a year, yet she sends out emails with misspelling and even more annoying, puts a space in front of every comma. So , her sentences , when they include commas , look like this.
I have noticed a lot of people doing that on Facebook - spaces before commas. Or instead of an ellipsis... they use ,,, What is up with that?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:20 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
An expert in office, to me, is someone who can program on the back end without the interface or macros.

MS can still be troublesome, especially excel. Not responding apps, trouble shrinking file size, etc. Corrupt work books, really a pita. If a Manager needs pretty graphs or arrows to make a business decision I really don't think they are qualified for the job. The Analyst feeding them that information is the better Manager.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:23 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Unless that person is a sales director and has very good selling skills or some type of unique and in demand skill set, she probably got that job through nepotism, favoritism, and/or cronyism. It is also possible she got that job from her knees or her back.
Favoritism.

She has no background whatsoever in the business area of the department over which she is director.

I don't find that to be a valid excuse, however. You READ, don't you? You are 60 years old, went to college, been working here for more than 35 years. You never noticed that commas don't have spaces in front of them????

Then again, that's the least of my concerns. She's a psycho!

Re the topic, many of us of a certain age learned MS Office on the job as it was needed. I'm pretty good at Word because I work with documents. I know basic Excel (and first learned Lotus 1-2-3 and before that a mainframe electronic spreadsheet system) but I don't know how to do advanced functions in Excel because there's never been any reason for me to use them.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:23 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
The employers asking this also probably want to know if you check your work before submitting it. You fail at that. You don't "us" MS Office, you "use" it

Old 12-14-2013, 10:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Reporters weren't previously expected to spell everything correctly without help. There were multiple layers of editing. Most of those editors have been laid-off or retired and weren't replaced.
Without help???? There is MORE help available now (Google/spellchecker) than there ever was then. Back then we had to know how to spell. We didn't have spellcheck as a crutch. We had to know the proper terminology. We didn't have Google. YES reporters wrote correct copy then. I have friends who are reporters and I was a journalism major myself at one time. Don't give me that crap. It's not true. Yes, there was a copy editor. But I GUARANTEE you that the stuff that went to the copy editor did not have the mistakes in it that I see published today. Ever hear of PROOFREADING? I could have written mistake-free articles then, and I could do it today.

The bottom line is we were better educated. We knew how to spell and we knew grammar and we knew the difference between "in view of" and "in lieu of" and all other kinds of things that people apparently don't know anymore.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I have noticed a lot of people doing that on Facebook - spaces before commas. Or instead of an ellipsis... they use ,,, What is up with that?
Who knows. People can't seem to grasp the difference between lose and loose or advice and advise, either. Or mute or moot. I see "mute points" a lot on City-Data. I see "alot" a lot on City-Data, for that matter.

If you get frustrated, just join us on the "I can't take it anymore" thread on the Writing forum. Hours of entertainment!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
There is MORE help available now (Google/spellchecker) than there ever was then.
Computers aren't the needed help. There's so many fewer people per page of text these days. And the people they do have are much more junior than they used to have as there's not nearly as much money in it. You see the same thing in the copy editing of books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment