Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

2 Months

High school job as a cashier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Does Cutco count?
Yeah, I was "fired" from Cutco before even making my 1st sale because I had a big argument with my manager over the shadiness of his methods.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 AM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
One day. My brand-new boss turned out to be a verbally abusive psychopath, and I decided no job was worth putting up with that kind of treatment. He screamed at four people in the office during the course of the day, and I couldn't see myself sticking around to be the 5th. Besides, it's hard as hell to actually accomplish anything constructive while listening to that all day.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:22 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I lasted three days at Dollar General. It was a temporary job setting up a new store. On the fourth day I went in, I went to pick up my name tag and they didn't have one for me. I was told my services were no longer needed because I was "too slow" in setting up my areas.

Ditto "Elaine Powers" - three days there. Basically it was to assist the women in excercising, but you had to make a quota of membership sales per week. I didn't like the pushy insincere way they wanted you to sell memberships. We were to ask them, "How does your boyfriend feel about your coming to Elaine Powers? You don't have a boyfriend? We can help you get one..." You get the idea. If they wanted a three months membership, you were to talk them into six months, if they wanted six months, you were supposed to talk them into a year. We were told to say, "You DO want the year membership, DON'T you?" I'm not kidding - we were given a script.

Forget the fact that the place was so small and they ended up so jam packed crowded that the women had to wait in line for at least 15 minutes to use the machines. The idea was that they'd eventually give up, stop coming, but Elaine Powers would still have the cash.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-15-2013 at 05:35 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Two weeks. Was supposed to help out on a project severely behind schedule. Estimated to last four, the client (apparently upset with the progress) terminated it.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
6.5 months, I found a better one and quit.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
2 months as a car salesman when my UE benefits ran out ... felt so dirty!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 AM

317 posts, read 474,761 times
I had a job in my youth where I lasted only about three hours.

A friend and I signed up with a temporary service and got sent to work at a flowerpot factory about forty miles away. She drove, I bought the gas.

We were assigned to work three presses each right off the bat. We did our best, but just couldn't keep up with them. Those flowerpots shot out of those machines like crazy in every direction, eventually piling up all over the place. We were also supposed to scrape the flowerpots, and pack them neatly in boxes of fifty or a hundred, but once I got so far behind, it was all I could do to stick them in boxes, unscraped, any old way. It was such a mess. It was like a scene from a really bad sitcom or something.

Three hours into it, my friend came up to me and said she couldn't take it anymore, she was walking out, and if I expected a ride home, I'd go with her. So I did.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:17 AM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
I had a job in my youth where I lasted only about three hours.

A friend and I signed up with a temporary service and got sent to work at a flowerpot factory about forty miles away. She drove, I bought the gas.

We were assigned to work three presses each right off the bat. We did our best, but just couldn't keep up with them. Those flowerpots shot out of those machines like crazy in every direction, eventually piling up all over the place. We were also supposed to scrape the flowerpots, and pack them neatly in boxes of fifty or a hundred, but once I got so far behind, it was all I could do to stick them in boxes, unscraped, any old way. It was such a mess. It was like a scene from a really bad sitcom or something.

Three hours into it, my friend came up to me and said she couldn't take it anymore, she was walking out, and if I expected a ride home, I'd go with her. So I did.
Not what I'd call a "bad" sitcom, but your description put me in mind of this:

I love Lucy Candy Factory Video wmv - YouTube

Old 12-15-2013, 11:19 AM

50 posts, read 76,348 times
Nine days at an Auntie Anne's pretzel store. I was not working full-time at my current job yet and needed something to supplement my income. The guy who hired me (the store owner) was nice, but unfortunately, the manager was not...one of those types who expected you to get everything right immediately. When I hadn't caught on fast enough, she let me go, and even the person at the unemployment office was telling me how ridiculous it was that this manager had expected perfection in such a short amount of time.

Also, I didn't fit in with the high school-aged kids that worked there (even though they weren't badly behaved; I was just out of that demographic) and didn't like having an 18-year-old boss when I was in my 20s. I'm glad it didn't work out! And oh, the other job I was working at part-time brought me on full time about 4-5 months later and I'm still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment