Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
3 days. I worked for a company that went door-to-door trying to get people to switch their energy policy. It was a Chicago winter, it was cold, and it was awful. I came down with a bad case of strep throat and flu from the stress and temperatures. I was cut a check for $60 and left, vowing never to return to their city ever again. I still get nightmares just thinking about it!
Don't tell me... Encoa. We have had young people in suits ringing our doorbell several times with some confusing misleading sales pitches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
4 hours unloading 100 pound sacks of corn out of a railroad car. Told the boss I wasn't coming back after lunch. He said I lasted twice as long as anyone else.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:33 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,352,458 times
This is going to sound like a tall tale, but it's true. 1-2 hrs was my shortest & I never got paid.

In the early 90s, I was hired by a mid-sized (50+ employees) mortgage broker in Atlanta as a loan processor. I didn't like the creepy office mngr at all during the interview... far too many intrusive, crude personal q's... but, I oh, so desperately needed the job & was hired on the spot. I accepted knowing I'd just keep looking for something else & leave asap.

The moment I walked in the following day for my 1st day of work (I hadn't even had a chance to remove sunglasses), I was asked to forge a signature on fabricated paystubs for a client. I refused. I was berated for 15-min, by 1, then 2, then a group of 3 & told it was my job. I still refused, over & over. It took a couple hours to leave, because the door was locked & everyone needed to be buzzed in or out by the receptionist. They wouldn't let me leave (there was a ferocious meeting going on behind closed glass doors with a flurry of brokers & mngrs watching me, screaming with daggers in their eyes... obviously they hired the wrong young lass & thought I was the type to forge docs), but my desk was near the door, so I waited for the first opportunity of a clear path, when I could race out as someone else was buzzed through. I swear I was sweating bullets waiting for an opportunity to 'escape'. I'm unsure why they wouldn't let me out... maybe they thought I'd go straight to the police. I suppose holding me hostage didn't enter their minds as illegal.

I'll never forget the feeling in that office... it felt like being in a shark tank, with an explosion of high energy & a feeling of needing to get out now. I visibly shook the entire time I was there, but I was far too young to know to cause a scene so they'd buzz me out. They just kept telling me, 'Wait there', pointing to my desk & everyone was watching me intently. As an aside, I don't know what in bloody heck was going on in that office. Every single time the door buzzer was heard, everyone's head snapped around & expressions were almost fearful, as they watched who was coming in. It must have been one of those operations which set up for 1-2 months, ripped off hardworking taxpayers or lenders, then disappeared into the ethers & everyone expected it might be a disgruntled refinancer or police coming in to tear up the operation & make arrests... or worse. I've worked in fast paced work environments my whole life & saw nothing like the continual flurry of chaotic energy here.

To this day, I don't know what bothers me more... being asked to forge docs, or having someone hire me who was assured I'd be that type of person.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,065 times
I left a position that I never intended to be permanent selling vacuum cleaners door to door! I can't remember the brand name. Heck, I figured I would at least hear what it was about. The training/information session the first day (3-4 hours) paid $30 for those that decided to stay and $15 for those that decided not to accept. That sounded fair. It was in the early summer and I was between college semesters. This was way back in 1980.

The instructor said he would not use high pressure tactics and if we did not feel comfortable, we could decided it was not for us. He said at least half of us would do it. There were a dozen at the session. Anyways, I was one of four people that decided not to accept. He was not being straight with us because when answering questions, he contradicted himself a couple times. Were these cold calls or set appointments? He was kind of fuzzy on that. He kept saying "don't worry about that, etc". He started to berate the four of us leaving as quitters and said we were crazy for passing it up and anyone could sell them. After the mild verbal abuse, he still paid us. So I was there about four hours! No other job has been anywhere near that brief.

I then was hired by RGIS Inventory later that week and worked for them that summer. That was a better fit.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
My shortest job was 2 days, although it was only supposed to be a temporary thing anyway. I was a teenager and a guy with a HUGE trading card collection needed a couple people to help him organize them and put them all in plastic sleeves.

My shortest non-temp job was about 3 weeks when I was about 20. I was a pizza delivery driver but 3 weeks in my car got totaled in an accident (NOT while on the job).

Shortest job in my career field was 10 months, and was my last one. Couldn't stand the micro-managing boss and his unprofessional behavior towards his employees. Got out as soon as I found a new (and better) job. I think I started looking about 4 months into it.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
About 3 hours. I was hired as a waitress in a Japanese restaurant about 30 years ago. After the lunch shift, the Japanese head waiter told me to "correct the ash trays," so I went around and straightened all the ashtrays on the tables. When I was done he asked me where the ashtrays were, and I told him on the tables. All nice and straight and corrected. He got really mad and then I realized that he meant collect the ashtrays.

This is just so awesome.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 PM

389 posts, read 692,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I left a position that I never intended to be permanent selling vacuum cleaners door to door! I can't remember the brand name. Heck, I figured I would at least hear what it was about. The training/information session the first day (3-4 hours) paid $30 for those that decided to stay and $15 for those that decided not to accept. That sounded fair. It was in the early summer and I was between college semesters. This was way back in 1980.

The instructor said he would not use high pressure tactics and if we did not feel comfortable, we could decided it was not for us. He said at least half of us would do it. There were a dozen at the session. Anyways, I was one of four people that decided not to accept. He was not being straight with us because when answering questions, he contradicted himself a couple times. Were these cold calls or set appointments? He was kind of fuzzy on that. He kept saying "don't worry about that, etc". He started to berate the four of us leaving as quitters and said we were crazy for passing it up and anyone could sell them. After the mild verbal abuse, he still paid us. So I was there about four hours! No other job has been anywhere near that brief.

I then was hired by RGIS Inventory later that week and worked for them that summer. That was a better fit.
Rainbow?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM

389 posts, read 692,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
4 hours unloading 100 pound sacks of corn out of a railroad car. Told the boss I wasn't coming back after lunch. He said I lasted twice as long as anyone else.
I bet you really were stiff-necked

Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
I worked at Target for a day. I didn't like the job, and I knew I was returning to the tech market anyway (already had an offer, so I was going to quit in a week anyway). But after the first day and dealing this bossy fat lady, I actually quit on my lunch break. I took lunch and decided not to come back.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
For those of you who worked 1 week or less (especially the 1 or 2 day folks), did you still get paid for your time?
You better believe it, W-2 and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment