Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,804,502 times

Advertisements

3 hours. Started at 9 - had 3 hours at an insurance agency making cold calls - individual owner - sketchy as was the area - went to lunch and never went back. It was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,352,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
About 2 days, maybe 3 as a telemarketer. I went back at the end of the week and the place was empty. Never got paid.
Now I know what happened... because they closed up shop, moved to Atlanta & opened up the fake mortgage co I worked at for 2-hrs!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 PM

532 posts, read 959,263 times
Thought of one -- got it through a temp agency, only accepted because it's hard for me to say no, but had just been hired for a f/t perm job starting the next day, so knew this was the only job with the temp agency.

My job was to sit at someone's messy, messy desk and input data. Computer and computer program were way outdated and this was 15+ years ago.

Boring as hell, was told I could leave after 4 hours or work all day.

Right over the desk I was using was a skylight, it was the type of day where the sun was intermittently behind the clouds. However, when the sun was out, it come right through the skylight and made a bull eye for the computer screen, every time that happened something about it made me so sleepy, when the sun moved back behind the clouds, it was ok.

After 4 hours (don't even think I took a lunch), and dealing with the boring work, outdated computer and the sun shining on it, I summoned up my courage and told the manager I was leaving. He was very nice. I also wanted to tell him to tell his employee to clean up their desk before they leave. I barely had room to check off the data as I went along.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 PM

429 posts, read 954,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpegg0 View Post
2 hours at Burger King. It was my first job, and I was barely 16 years old. I walk in the first day and they hand me a uniform shirt size 2X (obviously not my size) that I'm almost positive had not been washed. It was covered in sweat stains and smelled like an onion ring. They gave me no training yet got frustrated when I could not magically work the registers. I went home early and called the second day to tell them I wouldn't be back.

I quickly discovered that food service was not for me.
Ha! My son, also barely 16 years old, just started at BK and they still give you a dirty shirt, don't train you, and yet expect you to know everything.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 PM

452 posts, read 710,009 times
I quit a job at a CPA's firm three hours after being hired because the senior CPA came in and said "I know I'm not supposed to ask this, but are you planning on getting pregnant because tax season is coming up".

I didn't quit because of the question, he was a jerk and I knew it when i took the job. I quit because I saw the look on a tax assemblers face as she looked down at her stomach (which was quite flat, but I'm guessing she was thinking her job was in jeopardy) I figured it was better for me to quit than to call my husband to post bail

Old 12-16-2013, 10:04 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,499,241 times
1 day at Target doing min wage grunt work. Literally worst work experience in my life. I can't even talk about it... lol.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 AM

305 posts, read 376,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Either you quit or you were fired, what is the shortest time you held a position?

For me, 1 day. This was at a LifeFoam factory (they produce white foam coolers) after day #1 I quit.
A couple of hours. It paid well but, I didn't like the commute and some of the people looked GHETTO...like I knew stuff would go down if I stayed (knowing I wouldn't tolerate their mouths or antics). So, I left on my 1st break.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 AM

292 posts, read 725,824 times
My very first job, a dishwasher at a crappy pizza place. Lasted 2 weeks and quit.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Do I win the prize if I tell you that my shortest employment was TEN MINUTES??!

On summer break during my college years, I interviewed for and got a job as a "receptionist for an electrical contracting company."

When I reported for my first day of work, I discovered that the entire job description and interview was a farce. The job was actually for phone solicitation, selling magazines. This was before the "Do Not Call" list, and most people loathed phone solicitors. I made a few calls, hating to intrude upon these people, so I just quit and walked out. (No, I didn't get paid for my 10 minutes!)

Adding to my story, I soon got a job as a pharmacist assistant. Shortly after I started, a nice-looking young man in a suit came into the pharmacy, with a newspaper clipping in his hand. He needed directions to the address in the clipping, for a job interview. I recognized the address and company logo as being the same place I had gotten suckered into becoming a phone solicitor!! I told him my story, and he thanked me that he wouldn't have to waste his time going to the interview!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,604 times
3 hours. Awful temp assignment where I was 4th temp sent out that week. The executive would shout demands from her office to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment