Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,935,846 times

Advertisements

One day--as a temp in an HR department of a large insurance company. I was hired to file personnel files that hadn't been filed in the cabinets for, what seemed like, years. There were mountains of file folders to alphabetize and file away. The amount of files was NOT the reason I didn't go back the next day (heck, the challenge of getting those stacks organized didn't scare me!) But the dragon-lady boss did. The woman in charge of the department didn't respect anyone there, much less me--the lowly temp. She was a dreadful presence--and someone I didn't want stomping on me. So, I just didn't go back after day one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,663,665 times
4 hrs. The temp agency offered a half day free trial of an employee to their clients. It was an ad agency. When the 4 hrs were up, they suddenly ran short of work.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,506,580 times
Had a job in college renting fishing boats. Day one that rotten POS came apart and almost whacked me in the head. Not risking my health like that, for $5 hour.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,750,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
Not me, but a coworker was on day 2 as a receptionist. About 2 hours after opening she told the other receptionist she left her lunch in the car and was going to go get it. She never came back. One of the managers drove around the parking lot just in case she had been hit by a car or assaulted, she was not there. They called the police (just in case something had happened to her), the HR Manager called me to see if I could give them a description -- I said I thought she was tall!

We never heard back from her or about her, or obviously she just got in her car and left.

Our question was...why come in for 2 hours?
she probably went to work and was emailed an offer for another job somewhere else, and she was like hell ya, see ya...

although if she were smart she would have given a 2 weeks notice.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,088,514 times
For those of you who worked 1 week or less (especially the 1 or 2 day folks), did you still get paid for your time?

My shortest was my first job at a clothing store. I lasted about 6 months. The last straw was when they told me I couldn't take time off during the holiday season (thanksgiving through new years). I gave 3 or 4 weeks notice for one specific Saturday that I wanted off, but they still scheduled me for it. I took the day off and played stupid the next day "oops my mistake! I thought I had the night off". After that I gave my notice.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,750,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
For those of you who worked 1 week or less (especially the 1 or 2 day folks), did you still get paid for your time?

My shortest was my first job at a clothing store. I lasted about 6 months. The last straw was when they told me I couldn't take time off during the holiday season (thanksgiving through new years). I gave 3 or 4 weeks notice for one specific Saturday that I wanted off, but they still scheduled me for it. I took the day off and played stupid the next day "oops my mistake! I thought I had the night off". After that I gave my notice.
i was paid for my 1 day of service

Old 12-15-2013, 05:22 PM

389 posts, read 693,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Absolutely. Although I had to pursue it, myself, in one instance.

Last edited by Count David; 12-16-2013 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,729,585 times
Three days. By the end of the first day, I had 'warning signs' that things were not right. The owners of the business told me that somebody working there had been stealing, but despite having fired two people, the thefts continued.

I looked at the work schedule and compared it to when the thefts were reported. I noticed one person was always on the schedule when the owners said the thefts happened. I brought this up to the owners, who promptly defended the individual, saying he'd been with them forever, and they trusted him completely.

The next day, that individual, another woman, and I were on shift. The individual I suspected and the other woman got into a fight over how to do a procedure (the woman was more stringent about doing it properly while the individual seemed to have a 'whatever' attitude) which resulted in the woman marching into the office and quitting then and there. The owners pulled me aside to tell me that she'd always been a 'problem child' and again, I was to trust the individual completely.

The third day I was told that I was going to be put on night shift, alone, with the individual in question, whom by now was fully creeping me out.

I left that third day and didn't come back.

It wasn't an easy decision for me, because I desperately needed a job at that time, and walking out after three days with me didn't sit well....but I didn't feel comfortable around this person, and after the owners already told me two people had been fired for theft and it was still happening, I couldn't help but feel that I would either be 1.) The next theft victim or 2.) The next to be blamed and fired for it. I decided prudent to get out of there before either happened.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:56 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,940,984 times
Someone told me of a job he had at a canning plant. Someone got his hand cut off. As he described it, he walked to the lunchroom at lunchtime and "just kept on going." Didn't even try to get paid for his four hours.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:59 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,390 times
About 3 hours. I was hired as a waitress in a Japanese restaurant about 30 years ago. After the lunch shift, the Japanese head waiter told me to "correct the ash trays," so I went around and straightened all the ashtrays on the tables. When I was done he asked me where the ashtrays were, and I told him on the tables. All nice and straight and corrected. He got really mad and then I realized that he meant collect the ashtrays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment