Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times

Advertisements

I'd just love to know how one can '...Raise kids without working at all;'it's the toughest job in the world, and it's 24/7 for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:35 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The comment about air conditioning negates your whole point. I live in Virginia. Air conditioning during late July-early August is NOT optional, trust me on this.
There are, of course, people living in Virginia today who have no air conditioning, and nobody had air conditioning in Virginia 100 years ago.

But then, if we want to go back 100 years, there aren't many Boomers who at 14 would have considered shoveling coal into a foundry blast furnace a job they could handle.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The comment about air conditioning negates your whole point. I live in Virginia. Air conditioning during late July-early August is NOT optional, trust me on this.
As a South Floridian I have to disagree. I hardly ever use the AC even in the summer.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
You know what it is, the houses today are built so airtight you're practically forced to use A/C.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You know what it is, the houses today are built so airtight you're practically forced to use A/C.

? They do have windows that open, correct?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Well, we also don't build houses to take advantage of passive heating, cooling or ventilation, or to mitigate external thermal loads. Living in Virginia (or South Florida) without A/C in a house built in 1870 is much easier than in one built in 2001.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Socrates complained that the kids has no respect. Adults complaining about youth is about as old as history itself.

It must be something about human psychology that makes them suspicious and condescending toward younger people that are not their children. Funny how everyone thinks *their kids* are alright. But other people kids -- they are screwed up.

I'm a millennial, I guess. 31 yrs old, born in 1982.

I will say this regarding my perspective, but I don't speak for all millennials. - I expected more. I was promised more.

The propaganda I heard growing up was a simple equation. Hard work in school + good grades = acceptance into a good college. From there, more hard work + good grades = college degree = good job with health insurance, a discernible path for advancement = the money to afford a lifestyle not too dissimilar from our parents and maybe a little bit better. This was what we heard from everyone -from parents to teachers to counselors to pastors to after school specials.

I must say, it was disappointing to find out that it was all a lie. I didn't get a job that offered health insurance until I was 29. It wasn't for lack of looking. I applied for over 700 jobs during those post-graduation years.(I kept a log documenting every submission) I had to work a variety of service and part-time gigs (I call them gigs because they were not "real" jobs). That, when I had college PLUS military experience. This was 2008 through mid 2012.

I find now that I cannot afford a decent house unless I put out a call for roommates. The best I can do on my own is a 1 or 2br apartment in a sketchy part of town because housing costs or rents rise faster than my income.

I distinctly remember my mom choosing not to work in order to take care of the young children. My dad's income was enough. That will be impossible for me.

It was not us who destroyed the economy, but we graduated into it where this vicious cycle exists. For better jobs - you need education + experience. We got the education, at premium prices that we could not negotiate. I was lucky that I had the military cover a lot of my education expenses so that my student loans are not onerous.

Then we spent years trying to get just the very minimum amount of experience from cobbled part time jobs, during which time the debt for our education did not get paid.

We are also the generation from which many young men and women *volunteered* to fight in two expensive, inconclusive quagmire wars. I served overseas in a hell-hole, came back expecting that experience + college to pay off, and what I encountered upon graduation was economic destruction.

So you'll have to forgive some of us if we seem a little less enthusiastic and grateful than you expect. Maybe you shouldn't have told us those lies when we were growing up.
This. IMO if you want to look at the problem, don't look at millennials, look at yourself. I don't think kids could have came up with I'm a special individual snowflake and the participation trophy crap.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM

398 posts, read 746,684 times
That is not true OP, I'm in my 20's and I look for ways to learn more and be better at my job everyday!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
We hire twenty somethings for entry level positions occassionally and for the most part they've been great. Pleasant to be around, good work ethic and conscientious. I find they have very good interpersonal skills and just seem more confident than I ever was. One thing that does puzzle me with millenials is they seem to live at home much longer than my generation ever thought of. It's not just the money issue either. I can't really put my finger on it but I see quite a few living with Mom and Dad into their late 20's. Always reminded me of an old Billy Joel song when he said "You're 21 and your mother still makes your bed and that's too long."

Old 03-18-2014, 10:58 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
We hire twenty somethings for entry level positions occassionally and for the most part they've been great. Pleasant to be around, good work ethic and conscientious. I find they have very good interpersonal skills and just seem more confident than I ever was. One thing that does puzzle me with millenials is they seem to live at home much longer than my generation ever thought of. It's not just the money issue either. I can't really put my finger on it but I see quite a few living with Mom and Dad into their late 20's. Always reminded me of an old Billy Joel song when he said "You're 21 and your mother still makes your bed and that's too long."
It all boils down to the money issue. When many graduate with crushing loans, and companies are willing to drop employees quickly, why wouldn't they delay the "normal" things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment