Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 06:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yes. I wanted to find a room at a house, but my parents are uncomfortable with it. I have the bedroom furniture so an unfurnished room would be perfect. Craigslist, given some of my experiences, scares me.
Extended stay? Motel 6?

They have monthly rates, 1000 bucks get you 4 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
Meanwhile, back at the library. I went to the women's shelter. Turns out they don't just take people in for the night, there's an application process. I took a urine test, an alcohol test, and spoke with a case manager who told me I wouldn't hear anything back until the first week of July. That was at 6:30. The emergency shelter nearest that place by bus ride stop accepting people at 7pm, with a line around the building. Got on the bus and came back. I have no idea where I'm going to sleep tonight. Try again tomorrow.

It's interesting people's reactions in this thread to a woman who has been persistently looking for work for...god, what is it now, 8 months? 9? - who worked an odd sales job that barely paid 50 dollars per job and paid four weeks after each job. So that means in three months working the odd job, I made a total of 98 dollars for probably 50 hours worth of work, training, public transit, none of which was reimbursed. I spent all my money on taking the bus and train everywhere every day. I'd wear the same blazer and skirt for a week because I couldn't cover the cost to take them to the cleaners. When searching online failed, I went door to door downtown, in town, out of town in the suburbs where I've had to bum getting rides because "they're hiring" at some store I couldn't even get to, but figured I'd take a shot and try anyway, and never heard back. I had a hopeful interview two weeks ago, followed up. Followed up. Followed up. Despite that the interview went really well, I haven't heard anything since.

Doors shut in your face constantly and "we're sorry but we have selected someone who better meets our qualifications..." and "we'll call you" etc gets discouraging, especially when you're getting more and more desperate because you need a place to live and need to get off food stamps and need to start a life and no one gives you a chance. The only people hiring are barely paying and have low hours - but hell with it I applied to those anyway, too! And got one. And it barely covered the expense it cost to work. Some jobs require a vehicle. Do I have one? Hell no, but I applied to them anyway, maybe they have a company car? "Must have reliable transportation" right in the qualifications. Well I guess I could steal one.

It's hard to hear people say "you're lazy", "you're not applying," "you think you're too good to work for McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Target, coffee shop," when the truth is more difficult than that, although it's easy to dismiss someone that way. I have a 100% rate of never getting called back when applying for low wage jobs. "You want the sandwich or the combo?" "Actually, I'd like a job application, I have customer service experience with food. Do you know when the best time is to speak with the manager? I heard you were hiring." "Apply online." Auto File 13.

Maybe I do need to leave this city. There are lots of jobs here and I'm more aware of that than anyone, but those jobs aren't hiring me. Not for a lack of trying, not from laziness, not from job market research, not from "only applying to white collar jobs", but possibly just bad damn luck. Despite this, I have to try to keep a high, optimistic head, stay positive, pretending to be content so that I can live another day just to apply for work and won't reveal my depression which would inevitably be an automatic File 13. Maybe I should just get killed and not have worry about this crap anymore. That's the only thing the world keeps telling you: "die, die, die, you're useless to us and we. don't. want. you." Everyday you wake up knowing nearly everyone has a job except you and start going crazy wondering whether there's a secret Black List, whether there's a conspiracy to keep you out of gainful employment, and whether you're not meant to be happy.

It's a sad world when all you want for your birthday is a job, and you get homeless instead. My Medicaid becomes effective on July 1, so maybe I'll check out a therapist. Maybe their office will hire me.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yes. I wanted to find a room at a house, but my parents are uncomfortable with it. I have the bedroom furniture so an unfurnished room would be perfect. Craigslist, given some of my experiences, scares me.
Apply to any state. Work by remote. After your first paycheck, move to MI and continue working by remote.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
I got some very helpful comments, too, and I will consider all those options. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 PM

865 posts, read 1,077,103 times
I empathise with your situation. I'm also turning 30 tomorrow, and although I'm not unemployed, I am working at a dead end call center job part time and living with my parents. I just had a job interview yesterday for a seconded position, but I'm sure I embarrassed myself. Although I won't find out for certain until the weekend, I"m fairly sure that the interviewers were trying to soften the blow for me at the interview by tacitly hinting at the fact that I won't be successful.

It's very hard in the current economic climate. There's far too much competition for everything going, even menial work. The people who tell you that you are not trying, or allege that you are refusing to look for menial work are just looking to blame you for all your problems so that they can justify not wanting to pay any tax to help support the less fortunate. They believe that there's nothing wrong with being hard hearted towards someone's plight if 'they brought it on themselves', which is why they'll ignore the statistical evidence of how hard it is to find a job at the moment.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:48 PM
MJ7

I would think there would be more shelters around for you stay?

Church, Salvation Army recommendations?

Could you join the peace corps?

Are you able bodied (sorry if I missed this)? You can still join the Military...What Is the Maximum Age to Enlist in the Military?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:58 PM

864 posts, read 799,817 times
Yeah I have the same question as MJ7, are you severely obese or overweight? If you're not, military service is probably a good option. As a woman you more than likely won't be put into live combat on the front lines, and you'll get a modest monthly salary, but best part is free housing, meals, and college (if you choose to use it after the military to get a degree in some other field). Not to mention the chance to travel all over the world for free.

My brother joined the marines 7 years ago and has been to Japan, Korea, different parts of Europe, and just found his fiance in Germany. All he had when he joined was a high school diploma, and he was in decent shape. Once he gets out he will have saved up a ton of money (remember he doesn't pay any housing or groceries or utilities) and plans to settle in San Diego CA.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Nice. Kick him when he is down. Typical response from the I got mine so fu crowd.
The OP's first post is an outpouring of anger and hostility. It was not worded so as to elicit sympathy and advice. My response, and the responses of quite a few others, were in line with the tone set by the OP.

The OP's subsequent postings seem more reasonable, however, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt and apologize for the harsh tone of my previous post.

However that doesn't mean the OP is doing things right. By the sound of it, this person is not applying for jobs the right way. If you apply for jobs with an attitude like in the first post, people are going to sense that. You have to go in there with a smile and a winning attitude, and even then be prepared for 999/1000 rejections. But that 1000th acceptance is all that matters.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You can still join the Military...What Is the Maximum Age to Enlist in the Military?
There's a war on, you know. I think her current situation is a bit better than being at the frontlines of a war.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:08 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
There's a war on, you know. I think her current situation is a bit better than being at the frontlines of a war.
Yeah, because every job in the military is on the front line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment