Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 05:29 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,725,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If this OP is NOT a troll,

Well, now that you mention it...is the OPer a writer doing a story? Someone with an odd sense of humor? She writes a bit too well for someone who can't seem to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
It's Harder To Get A Job At McDonald's Than It Is To Get Into Harvard - Business Insider

Sure, that was a few years ago...but it's not much better out there now.
Depends on the part of the country you live in. Our local McDonald's has a problem finding enough people to staff the restaurant. They almost constantly advertise for help on the reader board in front. Some days they put up the starting salary at $14 per hour. One of my grandsons worked there over 3 years ago, and started at $11 an hour back then and was hired on the spot. Salaries are up now, over back then. Over in the oil patch, they have starting salary of $ 22 an hour at some fast food restaurants.

Look at how many states are doing great, as far as unemployment rate goes.

Unemployment Rates for States

Remember today they consider that 5% is full unemployment. Fourteen states including mine, are all below 5%. Texas and Virginia have only .1% above full employment. In other words, 1/3rd of the country, is doing great with little if any unemployment.

And when you consider the cost of living, some of those states with the highest incomes and high unemployment are not such great places after all.

GeoCommons

Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Too much supply for programs like this and Teach For America. There's a reason Huffington Post included them as one of the top 25 toughest job interviews. The 25 Toughest Job Interviews In America: Report
Sure. I know six people who have taught in Japan or Korea. Can't be that hard.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:08 PM

498 posts, read 978,419 times
This thread made me smile. Whining about your situation will get you nowhere, OP.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 PM

624 posts, read 763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Jesus.

Maybe people just need to stop going to college, so that way there is no debt for them to worry about!
Agreed! Quit feeding the machine. Why should anyone go into student loan servitude these days when most 'good' jobs only pay around 40K?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM

624 posts, read 763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Why don't you try to teach English in Korea? All you need is a degree and the desire, pretty much.
Great suggestion! If I were younger and had a real college degree I would totally do this.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times
My 25 year old nephew -- who'll get his BA in December -- said the other day if he had it to do over again he wouldn't have gone into debt for his degree.

He's a great worker -- looks good on paper -- and has had international study, 2x in Japan, and speaks Japanese, and has studied Korean and Portuguese. Even having gained all that, and had those great experiences -- he's said he wouldn't do it again -- the way he did.

I try to point out to him that he has the knowledge and experiences he's had -- BECAUSE he did it the way he did. And he's learned lessons and has valuable experiences -- regardless. And sometimes learning experiences -- cost. He'll always have gained the wisdom of evaluating what you get out of a situation -- before you make a decision....especially one where money is involved. That's a lesson some people at 50 haven't learned.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,625,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
My 25 year old nephew -- who'll get his BA in December -- said the other day if he had it to do over again he wouldn't have gone into debt for his degree.

He's a great worker -- looks good on paper -- and has had international study, 2x in Japan, and speaks Japanese, and has studied Korean and Portuguese. Even having gained all that, and had those great experiences -- he's said he wouldn't do it again -- the way he did.

I try to point out to him that he has the knowledge and experiences he's had -- BECAUSE he did it the way he did. And he's learned lessons and has valuable experiences -- regardless. And sometimes learning experiences -- cost. He'll always have gained the wisdom of evaluating what you get out of a situation -- before you make a decision....especially one where money is involved. That's a lesson some people at 50 haven't learned.
I guess I could see that. I graduated college with a BA in December 2013 at 24.5 after five and a half years in school. I commuted all five and a half years, but I worked two jobs and traveled. I wrote about my travels. Maybe the traveling cut back on moving savings (trying to move to the Midwest), but I look at it this way: I made many wonderful friends and got to see things, which will serve me when I move. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
Agreed! Quit feeding the machine. Why should anyone go into student loan servitude these days when most 'good' jobs only pay around 40K?
I'm glad I only owe $5,000 in loans. I feel bad for people who are $40K+. I don't know how they do it. I just hope I get a job and move soon.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Sure. I know six people who have taught in Japan or Korea. Can't be that hard.
Perhaps you just happen to know the right people. The reality is it is competitive.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Not reading everything posted here but you are obviously intelligent. Happy Birthday, btw. I know you think you've thought of everything but you haven't. Don't give up. Something will come to you.

I know you're being cynical and you do sound bitter. I understand why you come across this way in this OP. I just hope you're not coming across negative at all when you approach people about employment.

Why not go into a small restaurant and offer to wash dishes for a shift for a good meal or two? There are places like that that will take you up on free help and then appreciate your hard work and hire you.

Please keep up your feistiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment