Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
This is a potential liability for the company. Not only could the employee injure themselves while trying to assemble a desk or bookcase or whatever, but the employee could also appear to have assembled the desk correctly when they really didn't, and the desk could collapse on their legs at some point in the future. Why would a company take that risk?
Very good point. Especially about the desk/chair collapsing, now you have a worker's comp claim and someone out on disability.

A few years ago after being laid off I had to take a temp job. I dealt with the fact that I was doing work that I was overqualified for, and just smiled and did it. It was an Admn. Asst position.

However I drew the line and spoke up when I was asked to go run some errands and go pick up lunch. It said right in the temp contract that you're not to do any off site tasks, and you're not covered under worker's comp if you do.

So if you were to go run to Office Depot and on the way back you get t-boned and you're injured, you're not covered, as you were doing tasks you weren't supposed to.

I told them "sorry, I can't do any errands offsite", I kept the position till the end of the assignment and they never asked again.

I don't think the person's boss who asked the OP to put together his desk, would be thrilled if he got injured and the new employee was out on benefits due to the desk collapsing on day three of the new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 PM

431 posts, read 599,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

is this like a thing now? Do offices expect their new employees to assemble their own office furniture?
At the place I currently work I had to buy my own desk and put it together. The other 4 people crammed into the same office have to make do with fold-up plastic tables from Costco. We also have the only bathroom with wheelchair access in our "office", so we have people wheeled in and out all day.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My friend worked for AT&T and they set up a small office in Mountain View.

There was a mixup and all the office furniture arrived in boxes... some needed a little assembly...

She was the unit secretary.

Anyway, it was going to be several days for everything to be done and one of the managers was coming out to see the location in two days.

She had a little tool kit I had given her in her car... one of those 40 pc $25 sets.

She put all the furniture together and set it up... after changing into her jeans.

When the manager came over he was so impressed and for years would tell that story.
That is a clearly an unusual situation, though. Not part of the welcome-to-the-company first day of work.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
So I arrived at work for my first day and all of my furniture was in my office...... in boxes.

My boss goes "do u think this will be hard to put together?"
Naturally, I said "i dont know....."...cuz I dont... I'm not a carpenter/contractor who assembles furniture.

So here I am with a screwdriver and ratchet in hand putting together some chairs. I didn't sign up for this

is this like a thing now? Do offices expect their new employees to assemble their own office furniture?
Pffff.

When I first got my current job, I was told to find an empty space and take it over.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
This is a potential liability for the company. Not only could the employee injure themselves while trying to assemble a desk or bookcase or whatever, but the employee could also appear to have assembled the desk correctly when they really didn't, and the desk could collapse on their legs at some point in the future. Why would a company take that risk?
that got to be one of the lamest excuse every. its like telling a carpenter not to use a hammer.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:43 PM

283 posts, read 729,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that got to be one of the lamest excuse every. its like telling a carpenter not to use a hammer.
What makes you think any of the people in this thread who had to assemble furniture was hired as a carpenter?

Old 07-04-2014, 05:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
My job is no where near my job description... after the CEO retired we have had a string of Administrators and CEOs...

Some of their demands have been excessive... I never flatly have said no and always say I will do my best to work it into the schedule.

Put them on the spot once...

Got a memo telling me to have the entry pressure washed for Monday and memo was sent Friday at 1 pm... I'm the Director of Engineering and we do not have this equipment available in house.

Let the new Boss know it would be difficult to get someone on such short notice... She got mad and said YOU do it... well one of the contractors called and said he had me penciled in and would do it on a Sunday for $600 which is a deal for a very large entry that is 2 1/2 stories tall.

Boss got livid and said it was my responsibility and stormed out...

I paid the contractor out of my pocket the $600 and when tax time came put it down on my taxes as a unreimbursed employee expense... the CPA ask for a letter from the company in case I was audited...

Put in a request for the letter and HR got upset... the next day I had a check for $600 in my mailbox without a word.

Things are not as cut and dry anymore... at least when resume's keep coming in with people looking for work...

One of the Doctors had a 6 month pregnant office manager... office of 3 including the Doc... she was struggling to put together some office furniture and asked if she could borrow a few tools... I ended up doing it on my lunch break... her boss simply told her to do it and left...

Old 07-04-2014, 05:32 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Wow.. No way would I expect unreimbursed out of pocket expense as acceptable for any business entity. Also accommodating a pregnant mother is simply being a decent human being. Terrible boss you have there. Definitely excessive.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Wow.. No way would I expect unreimbursed out of pocket expense as acceptable for any business entity. Also accommodating a pregnant mother is simply being a decent human being. Terrible boss you have there. Definitely excessive.
The pregnant woman's Doctor leased office space from the Hospital... so she worked for a Doctor and not the Hospital which I work for... 23 years now.

Still remember another time we were having a VIP site visit and the Boss wanted all the red curbs painted... guess who did that... boy did I get a lot of comments about who did I **** off...

Pays the same... it's been very hard the last few years with the turmoil in the Healthcare industry... lots of downsizing and outsourcing... I'm the only full time left in my department and this is because someone needs to be available 24/7...

Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Pays the same... it's been very hard the last few years with the turmoil in the Healthcare industry... lots of downsizing and outsourcing... I'm the only full time left in my department and this is because someone needs to be available 24/7...
that what a lot of people here and other place can't understand. Its pays the same. doesn't matter if its sweeping floors, washing windows, painting curbs or push paperwork on a desk you put together. its all pays the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment