Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:52 AM

29 posts, read 44,706 times

Advertisements

I think it is a little off putting to ask someone to put together their own furniture on the first day of work. Although I would have put it together because I would just be happy to have a job, I would have been thrown. Could none of the other employees put it together and have it already set up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,043,271 times
If you need the job and it strikes you as odd but you can do it, go ahead and put it together but keep looking for a better job cause this just sounds strange. Maybe it's a red flag maybe not but they sound cheap. I don't give them a pass on this even if a start up. They should have hired a handyman to do this.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:20 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateChip View Post
I think it is a little off putting to ask someone to put together their own furniture on the first day of work. Although I would have put it together because I would just be happy to have a job, I would have been thrown. Could none of the other employees put it together and have it already set up?
Agreed. That seems sort of rude, and it would make me wonder about the company as a whole. What else would they ask me to do during my tenure there?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
I would have enjoyed it -- I love putting furniture together, and I'm a woman! Good grief, what a bunch of whiners! Give it a shot, and if you can't manage it, throw up your hands and say, "Gee, I'm too stupid to follow directions designed for 3rd graders and screw two pieces of wood together . . ."

Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
the funny thing is if someone goes along with it and just assembles it, there's a high chance they'll ask the same person to put together furniture again, for someone else. This pattern will continue.Or they'll ask you to take a look at the boiler or some other thing. IF someone is desperate for a job or has no experience, maybe I can justify doing it. But others with plenty of serious white collar experience or medical issues aren't going to bother even debating this: the answer is going to be an excuse or a polite no. I've never seen attorneys, doctors or other such folks assemble anything. I've never seen their assistants either. Even in small places.

There are polite and nice ways of saying "no" and using excuses because you don't want to come off confrontational. There's no need to be rude or emotional about it. There are ways of letting people know from the beginning that there are areas you don't feel comfortable venturing into. The issue is not whether you know how to assemble things or not. Issue is whether doing this task benefits your career at that place or not?
But I suspect the OP is not an attorney, doctor or "other such folk", now, are they? And BTW, I've seen plenty of white collar people assembling furniture, including attorneys and doctors. Why hire someone to do something you can do yourself as a change of pace? This isn't rocket-science, and refusing to do so makes the OP sound like some sort of "I'm too good to do this" prima dona on their first day.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I would have enjoyed it -- I love putting furniture together, and I'm a woman! Good grief, what a bunch of whiners! Give it a shot, and if you can't manage it, throw up your hands and say, "Gee, I'm too stupid to follow directions designed for 3rd graders and screw two pieces of wood together . . ."
lol, I put everything together yesterday.
I was just a bit thrown being that it was my first day..... I showed up in my best work clothes...u know, first day type stuff ....shirt, tie, pressed slacks, shoes shined...and an hour later I find myself on the floor holding up one piece of a chair with my knee while I support the other side of the chair with my elbow as I screw them both together... It's not that I couldn't follow the directions (admittedly it was kind of complicated lol) it's just like "ummm, wtf?" on my first day.

I've only worked at 2 other offices before and never had to lift a finger in regards to facilities type stuff like furniture or trash or building maintenance... I'm quite proud to say im sitting on my swivel chair that I put together as I type this.

So accomplished.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Well, OP (funny how that OP works out whether it's for original poster or Optimus Prime), you have shown yourself to be a flexible person with a sense of humor and those two characteristics alone will take you far. Nobody likes a diva.

Don't spend a lot of time spinning in that chair, though. You may have left off a screw or something.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,991,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I wouldn't even give them an excuse. I would have said I don't know how to put furniture together and I don't want to learn. The End.

The convo after that would have went along these lines:

"Now, what did you do with the Old furniture? Oh, you got rid of it. That's okay. I'll take my laptop out to the reception area and do my work on there. What printer can I use?"

I refuse to be taken advantage of in ANY way just because some employers believe they can.
I agree that the furniture thing is a bit unusual, but that's not a great attitude to display at work.

Personally, I'd have chuckled and said "sure, no problem" and gone ahead and did what needed to be done. If I didn't think I had the skills and ability, or had a concern about not being able to physically perform the work, I'd explain that.

" that's not my job" is almost always a career-limiting attitude.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:44 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

Whiner, eh? Your post doesn't sound much better - I'd rather sound like a whiner than a jerk.

And I have seen instructions that are definately NOT designed for 3rd graders.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I wouldn't even give them an excuse. I would have said I don't know how to put furniture together and I don't want to learn. The End.

The convo after that would have went along these lines:

"Now, what did you do with the Old furniture? Oh, you got rid of it. That's okay. I'll take my laptop out to the reception area and do my work on there. What printer can I use?"

I refuse to be taken advantage of in ANY way just because some employers believe they can.
As an employer, I would fire you. Because I assure you, I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment