Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Day one and you've already learned a new skill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpowering1 View Post
day one and you've already learned a new skill!
lol! (:

Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Such tasks might be common in small companies as they are trying to save wherever they can. I know of a small company (5-7 employees) located in a small town where employees take turns in taking out trash.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Day one and you've already learned a new skill!
lol, you're right!
lemme go update my resume now
*adds "assembles faux wooden desk-chairs and desks with minimal profanity"

Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM

154 posts, read 307,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Such tasks might be common in small companies as they are trying to save wherever they can. I know of a small company (5-7 employees) located in a small town where employees take turns in taking out trash.
Every small company I've ever worked for(say 15 employees or less) has had an employee take out the trash - is this unusual?! I've never thought so but I sure am sick of walking a fifth of a mile to the dumpster with stinky trash every day...

Old 07-02-2014, 12:47 PM

44 posts, read 90,380 times
I think this situation is total B.S. and a warning shot you should heed. Perhaps you cannot/should not leave now, but you should seriously monitor the culture of that place.

Some thoughts:

1) Would they have expected you to do something so crazy if you were a woman?
2) What if you had injured or compromised yourself in some way? They must not be very diligent about workplace safety, OSHA, etc.
3) Companies usually roll out the welcome mat for new employees. Doesn't appear that happened in your case.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:07 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I think this situation is total B.S. and a warning shot you should heed. Perhaps you cannot/should not leave now, but you should seriously monitor the culture of that place.

Some thoughts:

1) Would they have expected you to do something so crazy if you were a woman?
2) What if you had injured or compromised yourself in some way? They must not be very diligent about workplace safety, OSHA, etc.
3) Companies usually roll out the welcome mat for new employees. Doesn't appear that happened in your case.
that's what I'm saying! I'm a woman and nobody EVER asked me to assemble furniture. And I would give them an excuse. I actually have a herniated disc in my lower back and documents to prove that, so that's my excuse, cupcake. Anybody doesn't buy the disc thing, I'd bring the paperwork and xrays to stick in their face. Following that, I would quit on the spot. But that's me. I don't let people walk all over me. A lot of other people would probably assemble the furniture like the good sheep.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
Every small company I've ever worked for(say 15 employees or less) has had an employee take out the trash - is this unusual?! I've never thought so but I sure am sick of walking a fifth of a mile to the dumpster with stinky trash every day...
it's a far cry from taking out trash and assembling chairs, desks or anything.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Interesting. I have worked a couple of places where there would be a union grievance filed because you are taking away some laborer's job. Such assembly required a work order, and waiting a few weeks until they got around to it. Of course, a good supervisor would have arranged it in advance of the employee's first day.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I want my $100/hour computer engineers to be coding and debugging projects, not assembling furniture. They are making me more money staying on task. It's cheaper for me to pay a minimum wage worker to assemble several pieces.

In general, there are more min. wage workers in larger companies.

Funny I work for a fortune 100 company and we have zero min wage employees. Typically an employee on their first day or two isn't going to be doing crap anyhow so let's not get carried away with your wasted 100.00 a hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment