Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that what a lot of people here and other place can't understand. Its pays the same. doesn't matter if its sweeping floors, washing windows, painting curbs or push paperwork on a desk you put together. its all pays the same.
Until you get injured on the job and someone turns around in HR says "well you shouldn't have been doing that, it's not in your job description, why did you get up on that ladder".

It's not just about being above certain tasks. I had a job that for some reason involved changing the toner in the fax machines or dealing with paper jams(the dept I was in was somehow responsible for this). Did I complain when as the new guy they told me this was now my responsibility....NO....because they were paying me a great salary and it didn't really take much time, even though it had nothing to with my other duties.

I thought if they want to pay me this salary and include this menial task, so be it.

The difference is, this was in the job description, so let's say I injured myself in dealing with one of these machines. I would be covered under worker's comp, with no issues, that's not the case when your doing tasks you're not responsible for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Wouldn't any accidental injury on the job at the direction of your boss be worker's comp?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,299,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
So I arrived at work for my first day and all of my furniture was in my office...... in boxes.

is this like a thing now? Do offices expect their new employees to assemble their own office furniture?

This reminds me of an old joke where a guy goes to a hotel and is told he will have to make his own bed. He says that's fine. Then he goes up to his room to find some lumber, a hammer, nails, etc.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
So I arrived at work for my first day and all of my furniture was in my office...... in boxes.

My boss goes "do u think this will be hard to put together?"
Naturally, I said "i dont know....."...cuz I dont... I'm not a carpenter/contractor who assembles furniture.

So here I am with a screwdriver and ratchet in hand putting together some chairs. I didn't sign up for this

is this like a thing now? Do offices expect their new employees to assemble their own office furniture?
I don't think it's a thing. Like everyone else, that would raise eyebrows at a large corporation and not so much at a small business.

At one point - they booted us all out of the office into our homes so I did a LOT of furniture assembly during those years! (How I miss them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I will admit, we have used this as a harassment technique for hazing new employees.

How you react, could part of the decision making process for IF you will make it out of the probationary period (all hires are probationary in my org)

just be happy you got new stuff.
Seriously? Is this a real business or some kind of campus fraternity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
This is a potential liability for the company. Not only could the employee injure themselves while trying to assemble a desk or bookcase or whatever, but the employee could also appear to have assembled the desk correctly when they really didn't, and the desk could collapse on their legs at some point in the future. Why would a company take that risk?
I see it now. Leave one screw loose - sit down at your desk and it all comes falling over. 6 weeks of Workers Comp - basically paid to watch daytime televison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Wouldn't any accidental injury on the job at the direction of your boss be worker's comp?
Yep.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that what a lot of people here and other place can't understand. Its pays the same. doesn't matter if its sweeping floors, washing windows, painting curbs or push paperwork on a desk you put together. its all pays the same.
The few times I've done things that were radically outside of my job description, there was never any thought that additional room was made for it.

What i mean is, if you blow a day building furniture I'm certain most places are not going to say, "Well, you missed this deadline. But, you did put together furniture. Nevermind, it's cool."

No way.

Me personally, if I thought it was necessary I would do it if asked. If it is a very small company or a small non-profit or something. But if it was a company that clearly has the wherewithal to pay some delivery guy $50 or $100 to put it together, I would be concerned.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 PM

I guess it could also be belt tightening as when you are the last one left in your department... of course there is always the option of resigning if it was something a person felt very strongly about.

As long as it is not illegal... I would think they could ask just about anything.

We had one person quite because she was asked to pick up Doctors Lunches for a meeting...

I've done it a few times and just keep track of my mileage and deduct it on my taxes...

Old 07-05-2014, 10:46 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
Hmm, I don't know what to think of this really. It would depend on the overall environment and attitude of the workplace. It could go either way really. In one light it isn't that bad because you are getting paid to do something nonprofitable by the company. In another it is degrading. Let's say this was a high end office job, that wouldn't fly.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:43 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Sounds like my job...I've been there two weeks-I'm in an accounting position for a small company (2 other people and one mail clerk) . Second day I was advised by HR in the corporate office "oh you have to be the mail clerk for the next two weeks." Ok...so I had to print, stuff, load, and fix the printers for two weeks...ruined two shirts because one printer was broken.. company doesn't even have a service company-the mail clerk does it. I don't know how to fix printers!
I interviewed one day last week and if I receive the job-bye bye...
ridiculous!

Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM

Cross Training is the new reality for most of us...

The more you can do the more useful to the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment