Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That was me and it was brought home to me again today. My son will always head for self check-out; the same as he will always want to order clothes online as opposed to actually entering a store.

When they go to buy insurance - do you imagine they will stop in at the local agent's office?

Nope. They will be online looking for best bargains.

It's scary if you play it out to the nth degree.
Well with shopping for clothes, I've found that you can often find what you want while at stores, it is much more hit or miss. Hot Topic is notoriously bad at stock in store compared to online. I do think that it is a generation gap issue that goes to even mid late gen x who grew up in a post internet world where they can find things easier. Why go to agents and price it, when it is all right there? It saves gas money and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
I don't use self checkout stations at grocery stores or anywhere else.....I stand in line even if I have to wait longer. As far as I'm concerned, if the store really wants me to check out my own groceries, they can offer a ten percent discount on my bill for me to do the work.
Is there any full serve gas stations in your area? Not here, you either "check out" yourself or don't get any gas.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 AM

219 posts, read 527,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I need a citation.

This is just a FOX News phrase uttered by the pundits. FLSA meant any full time job was supposed to be livable.
You don't need a citation. These low skill jobs taken by many high school kids are not meant to support a family of 4 with a mortgage/rent, car notes, bills, etc. They're meant to give people some extra income and/or give workforce newcomers some basic skills and work experience. McDonalds and businesses in general are not charities and are certainly not responsible for the lifestyle choices/unfortunate circumstances of their employees.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Is there any full serve gas stations in your area? Not here, you either "check out" yourself or don't get any gas.
That's all there are in Oregon and here in NJ!

Old 08-20-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's all there are in Oregon and here in NJ!
Yeah compared to when I was a young kid remembering getting toy cars for Days of Thunder at the local Exxon in New York having full service, 10 years later (the new millennium) they were all gone in New York. I guess that is because of labor costs because people wouldn't use them as much...

Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well with shopping for clothes, I've found that you can often find what you want while at stores, it is much more hit or miss. Hot Topic is notoriously bad at stock in store compared to online. I do think that it is a generation gap issue that goes to even mid late gen x who grew up in a post internet world where they can find things easier. Why go to agents and price it, when it is all right there? It saves gas money and time.
I don't like shopping for clothes online because it seems that all stores make clothes differently and I never seem to end up with the right size. Clothing, especially jeans, is one item I prefer to buy in the store.

Books, DVDs, and appliances are items I like to buy online.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin15776 View Post
You don't need a citation. These low skill jobs taken by many high school kids are not meant to support a family of 4 with a mortgage/rent, car notes, bills, etc. They're meant to give people some extra income and/or give workforce newcomers some basic skills and work experience. McDonalds and businesses in general are not charities and are certainly not responsible for the lifestyle choices/unfortunate circumstances of their employees.
True, but the real problem everyone fails to address is why are so many older workers in low paying jobs? We all know the answer to that question, but both sides of the aisle fail to address it. In some cases it is a lack of training, but in others it is a lack of good paying jobs. We need to work on getting older workers out of minimum wage jobs and into better jobs. These jobs should be reserved for 14 year old kids needing new bike money.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
I don't use self checkout stations at grocery stores or anywhere else.....I stand in line even if I have to wait longer. As far as I'm concerned, if the store really wants me to check out my own groceries, they can offer a ten percent discount on my bill for me to do the work.
Heh... some people have already done that, either by accident or on purpose. For example, they mix up organic apples with non-organic apples, or mistype the quantity of donuts.

That said, if there's an attendant nearby, then that does go a good deal way towards being more usable. In some places, if you have coupons or special promos, the machines can't handle them and you'll want to stand in line for a cashier instead.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin15776 View Post
That's been the idea, but times have changed.... jobs are applied mostly through online; and interviewing for a job means not just going down in-person, but passing a phone screening, and 1 to 3 phone interviews before getting to the in-person interview.

What's been the latest trend? Older people ARE in the workforce of fast food and retail. It's cute that some people firmly believe that McD's and the like should only be for high school students, but I've walked into Wendys, Taco Bell, McDonalds, and Subway the past few years in regions like Chicago, mid-NJ, DC, northern VA, and even parts of Arkansas... there are far more middle age folk working there now then teens and young adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
True, but the real problem everyone fails to address is why are so many older workers in low paying jobs? We all know the answer to that question, but both sides of the aisle fail to address it. In some cases it is a lack of training, but in others it is a lack of good paying jobs. We need to work on getting older workers out of minimum wage jobs and into better jobs. These jobs should be reserved for 14 year old kids needing new bike money.
There just aren't enough jobs. The demand that is job seekers far exceeds the supply that is the # of available jobs. Training people to apply to jobs that already have fierce competition may not work.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I don't like shopping for clothes online because it seems that all stores make clothes differently and I never seem to end up with the right size. Clothing, especially jeans, is one item I prefer to buy in the store.

Books, DVDs, and appliances are items I like to buy online.
Jeans are different unless you know the exact brand and cut. I'll give you that. Dress clothes is the same. T-shirts, shorts are a lot different and it is rare you find different cuts unless the shirts are poor cotton or something. Plus as I said if your size is rare in stock in stores, you have to. To be quite honest, I wear XXL and it is actually hard to find that size in most stores. WWE events, I found the only shirts they XXL in is John Cena. If I want a CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Macho Man or anyone else, you have to go online for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment