Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 02:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm surprised Darden is not with Ruby Tuesday. I've only known of one restaurant of their's that didn't have problems with orders or servers at least once whether I went there or someone else did. I guess people don't see the same incompetence that I do or just don't care about that...
I've been in Olive Garden here in Pittsburgh, thought the place was run pretty competently. Food's a bit too salty for my own taste, but it was palatable and the waitresses were attentive and in good humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 03:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I've been in Olive Garden here in Pittsburgh, thought the place was run pretty competently. Food's a bit too salty for my own taste, but it was palatable and the waitresses were attentive and in good humor.
I've been to several in different areas (Long Island, NY; West Valley, AZ; and North Country, AZ) and seen the same problems I've referred to in my other post (inattentive staff, bad orders, etc.) One admittedly was better from what I heard when it first opened (the new Lone Star in my area) but for the most part that could be first opening jitters (though the problems were pretty bad like very over-cooked meat.) In comparison, the others I've been to were pretty established and there for some time.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:45 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
"STOP local governments and the feds incentivizing transportation oriented stacked housing in urban centers and weighting the local/state legislature votes by population instead of by COUNTY. "

Huh? Planning housing with transportation makes sense.

"Until local and federal governments stop the "PLANNING" ie growth restrictions and IMPACT FEES - artificially raising the cost of private property, ESPECIALLY with wages stagnating, NOTHING will be fixed."

Actually planning isn't growth restrictions it is a basic of all local governments. You don't want a fireworks factory next to an elderly complex or a processor of lead paint next to a elementary school

"PRIVATE PROPERTY ownership - AFFORDABLE property (not fake mortgages that people can't afford) will encourage more home ownership - especially for younger people who are locked OUT NOW, AND family formations and a more stable society."

But that's what caused the problem to begin with. Not everyone can do the upkeep on a house.

"WHO is going to get married if they can't even afford a house or kids? Let alone getting government subsidies to remain government dependent. "

Well given that it is illegal in many states for some people to get married... Plenty of couples cannot have children either biologically or economically. As for a house not everyone wants a house as most live in cities.

"It doesn't have to be all URBAN in fact, the suburbs or more sprawl-y states like FLORIDA are a disgrace with the state owning over 50% of all property. WHY???? "

The state of florida does not own half the state. Just as the feds do not own much of the east coast. It is the mountain region where that happens. Just ask someone on those boards what they think of BLM..and watch out.

"HOW Exactly did the FEDS think forcing banks into giving expensive mortgages to lower income unqualified people (or ANY economic level)....for PEAK PRICE BUBBLE HOUSING markets while wages stagnated was going to work? "

But you just said....

"Except in say, TEXAS where they do NOT have those planning and government problems and had much less of a bubble problem and housing problem. But I imagine that'll be changing too now with Liberals all moving there."

Read the book The Average is Over. It talks about Texas. It has no planning and more growth but generally look what it attracts. I remember when I was a kid and the neighborhood came out to be against a gas station that wanted to expand. You might say that is zoning but we didn't want gas tanks in our back yard. That was 25 years ago and frankly they are doing fine today.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Exactly. This is the point that is always ignored when this particular talking point gets dragged out for another round of abuse. Actually I've heard that if the minimum wage had been indexed to inflation from jump, it would be closer to $20/hr. In NYC at least. If someone with a concentrated Associates is making $15/hr, the answer should not be to push minimum wage down, it should be to raise wages to those possessing higher education credentials. Ya think?! What a concept! But, but.. ... that means that people with BA, BS ... MS... well they should like make more than $35K.... you just can't do that! We'd go bankrupt paying all that money to so many people... ... In 1977 when I graduated HS, a college graduate in many industries would be looking at $60K. Those exact same industries now start grads at $35K. ???? Meanwhile the CEO of the company who made $500K/yr in 1977 makes 14M/yr in 2014. Do the math... can we afford to pay ALL Americans below the level of CEO more for their labor or not? I say "yes we can!".

H
we've all been sold a bill of goods in this country - well, most of us. Check out the min. wage in Australia, or Sweden, or France. These places have McDonalds, Burger Kings etc. And they still run and make a profit.

If these 'job creators' are so poor, I want to actually see their books. Open them up and show me you're hanging on the edge and there's no margin for error. If that were really the case all these restaurants would be one disaster or bad decision or accident or liability from shutting down and declaring bankruptcy. When was the last time a McDonalds or Subway closed down? I don't ever recall seeing it. If anything they build more or remodel. They're just hoarding the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Fair enough, so are you willing to beef up SSI benefits as well so they can keep up with inflation?

If a $15 minimum wage is fair, is a $1500 SSI grant also appropriate?

if $15 was a minimum wage for the working and middle classes just think how much more money we'd be pouring into SS!!!! Twice as much basically! And more money for the roads, bridges etc.

and those people could buy stuff to "stimulate the economy" and even more people would have jobs and earn more and dump more money into SS!!!!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've been to several in different areas (Long Island, NY; West Valley, AZ; and North Country, AZ) and seen the same problems I've referred to in my other post (inattentive staff, bad orders, etc.) One admittedly was better from what I heard when it first opened (the new Lone Star in my area) but for the most part that could be first opening jitters (though the problems were pretty bad like very over-cooked meat.) In comparison, the others I've been to were pretty established and there for some time.
My wife and I stopped socializing with a couple that never could be pleased when eating out. They sent so much food back (after eating half of it) and got so many free meals due to their stated dissatisfaction. I don't know why people expect a five star experience in a three star venue. Pay for a five star experience and I guarantee you won't have anything to #@$#% about. You will be out $150 but you didn't expect to pay any less did you?

H

Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 PM

19 posts, read 22,872 times
start with the quality of the food. you can't expect pay to ever increasing wages and keep a "combo" under 8 bucks using real food. Beef Patty—"according to the corporation, it is using 100 percent pure beef. The moniker “100% pure†actually means nothing. It may or not be pure. We really don’t know for sure whether McDonald’s is using Pink Slime in its processes and whether its beef is among the 70 percent of ground beef in North America that contains Pink Slime." This chemical is used in fertilizers and cleaning products.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

If these 'job creators' are so poor, I want to actually see their books. Open them up and show me you're hanging on the edge and there's no margin for error. If that were really the case all these restaurants would be one disaster or bad decision or accident or liability from shutting down and declaring bankruptcy. When was the last time a McDonalds or Subway closed down? I don't ever recall seeing it. If anything they build more or remodel. They're just hoarding the money.
I have seen two close up in the Seattle area, one about 2004, the other 2010. I have also seen 4 of them remodeled at great cost. Because I did some sign work for one of them, I found out the remodels are mandated by corporate but paid for by the franchisee. They have to eat the cost. While I don't know if it's true, he said he has 3 stores and s clearing about 80k profit, when he had only one he rarely got paid at all, because there isn't enough volume in just one store to pay for the overhead of which labor is a fairly small part. In expensive areas like here the rent or buying/building takes 10-15 years + to recover, and that's in addition to franchise fees.

In Redmond, WA there is a sub store that started out as Togos, then closed and Subway opened, that closed and Blimpie opened there. That's now closed and Jersey Mike's is opening soon. That's over about 10 years.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

If these 'job creators' are so poor, I want to actually see their books

if $15 was a minimum wage for the working and middle classes just think how much more money we'd be pouring into SS!!!! Twice as much basically! And more money for the roads, bridges etc.

and those people could buy stuff to "stimulate the economy" and even more people would have jobs and earn more and dump more money into SS!!!!

If you saw a franchisee's books and saw some of them were scraping by on the seat of their pants, would it change your mind about the min wage? Their creditors do get to see it, and I have seen many franchised businesses go under over the years around here in Pittsburgh.

Middle class people don't earn the minimum wage- even if it was $15, it cost a lot more than that to live in the suburbs, make payments on a couple of minivans and pay the orthodontist bills.

if the cost of labor went up to a $15 minimum, people would employ a lot less of it. Automation is just one factor, people wouldn't go to as many restaurants, they'd eat at home; they'd camp and clean up after themselves more often than rent a hotel room; they'd watch more TV and go out to fewer movies

Old 08-17-2014, 08:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My wife and I stopped socializing with a couple that never could be pleased when eating out. They sent so much food back (after eating half of it) and got so many free meals due to their stated dissatisfaction. I don't know why people expect a five star experience in a three star venue. Pay for a five star experience and I guarantee you won't have anything to #@$#% about. You will be out $150 but you didn't expect to pay any less did you?

H
I don't disagree but I've seen terrible cases. I had one at cracker barrel that I got a hamburger steak that sat under a heat lamp while the rest of the order was cooking and it over cooked everything. I ate abut half the okra, the drunken apples and quarter of steak but chilling easy anymore because of how bad it tasted. I actually lost my appetite and didn't get a replacement meal or a dessert even after getting asked if I wanted something else or a dessert. I just wasn't hungry anymore. I know, I know, Cracker Barrel if not give star. I don't expect it to be and anyone who does needs to check themself. The issue is if I order something, out shouldn't be over cooked or under cooked. I don't think that is too much to ask. I am not the type to complain about something small (like it seems like your friend do) but I expect to get my order within reason.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
So the middle class will erode if McDonalds automated their cash exchange process???

Folks... Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment