Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 02:13 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Fair enough, so are you willing to beef up SSI benefits as well so they can keep up with inflation?

If a $15 minimum wage is fair, is a $1500 SSI grant also appropriate?
I'm all for it.

But I'm sharing this country with 300+ million other people who may not agree with doing that, for whatever reasons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm all for it.

But I'm sharing this country with 300+ million other people who may not agree with doing that, for whatever reasons...
A lot of people might not be in agreement with a massive increase in the minimum wage either.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot of people might not be in agreement with a massive increase in the minimum wage either.

Then how about we allow landlords to rent out property that minimum wage workers can afford? (i.e. lower housing and zoning standards)

Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then how about we allow landlords to rent out property that minimum wage workers can afford? (i.e. lower housing and zoning standards)
Pittsburgh used to have a lot of single room occupancy housing, now not so much. A lot of such low rent housing had a date with the wrecking ball for the development on the North Side here.

Cities see such areas as slums, ready to be gentrified.

Maybe relaxing zoning requirements for trailers in the city would be more feasible. If the area became coveted by developers, they could more easily be moved.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
As for the poster who thinks the concept should be extended to the fine dining sector... ... wow... just wow...
Perhaps you haven't noticed that the fine dining establishments are already saving on staff by using tablets that the wait staff use rather than writing things down, they send the order from table to kitchen, accumulate the prices for the bill, and add to the database used to manage food and alcohol inventory, staffing levels, and item pricing. Some that we have been to lately have a smartphone App allowing you a discount for paying from your phone rather than involve the waiter/waitress. They also do reservations by smartphone, that reduces the need for people answering the phone.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Would you rather go to the ATM, or stand in line and wait to see a bank teller? I'd use the ATM.
It depends what I need to to. One thing is for sure, I can't deposit a bag of coins through the ATM.The bottom line is, all automated systems have limitations. When something doesn't work out for you or the machine eats your card, do you yell at the machine, a human or both?

This really isn't news. As many have pointed out, Sheetz has been using them for their MTO sandwiches for over 10 years and many grocery stores have automated checkouts. This might be news for some, but gasoline pumps have accepted credit cards right at the point of sale for nearly 20 years.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:31 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times
Quote:
Exactly. This is the point that is always ignored when this particular talking point gets dragged out for another round of abuse. Actually I've heard that if the minimum wage had been indexed to inflation from jump, it would be closer to $20/hr. In NYC at least. If someone with a concentrated Associates is making $15/hr, the answer should not be to push minimum wage down, it should be to raise wages to those possessing higher education credentials. Ya think?! What a concept! But, but.. ... that means that people with BA, BS ... MS... well they should like make more than $35K.... you just can't do that! We'd go bankrupt paying all that money to so many people... ... In 1977 when I graduated HS, a college graduate in many industries would be looking at $60K. Those exact same industries now start grads at $35K. ???? Meanwhile the CEO of the company who made $500K/yr in 1977 makes 14M/yr in 2014. Do the math... can we afford to pay ALL Americans below the level of CEO more for their labor or not? I say "yes we can!".

H
You're making too much sense..LOL!

Executive pay has gone up considerably, but their overall responsibilities have changed little since the 70's. Workers are generally more efficient today than in years past, but their relative pay has decreased substantially.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Mickey D's lost their mojo years ago and they had better do something to get the customers back. The new places look terrible and the food tastes bad. I can't understand why they are killing off such a great brand.
I'm not sure this is going to bring their 'mojo' back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I'd much rather deal with a computer than the hostile workers who staff fast food places around here. I walk up to the counter and they look me up and down and glare at me like I should feel guilty for patronizing a place they don't like working in, and then roll their eyes and sigh as I place my order. If they have a question they mumble it and then get irritated if I ask them to repeat it, talking to me like I'm really stupid or annoying. I don't eat fast food myself, but I take my kid for a happy meal every once in a while, and really can't stand this level of "customer service," which basically just leaves me feeling bad that I ever walked into the place. So please, bring on the automation.
You do have a point. I can't stand rudeness when I'm paying my hard earned money. Thankfully, I don't experience it often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Don't recall; they are not around where I live. Maybe? Not to far from the West Virginia/Ohio border in Eastern Ohio, if that is their area of operation.
Yep. Sheetz. They have been doing that for YEARS. I guess it's ok in a gas station ~ but if my favorite restaurants start making me feel like I'm in a gas station, then I'll just eat at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I hate automated check-outs and avoid them like the plague, so I sure wouldn't use these!
Me too. Well, if I only have one or two things, I'll use automated. The stores almost force you to these days; they have so few cashiers. If my cart is full - no way in he!! am I doing self check-out.

My son's generation though - they LOVE self checkout so those jobs are probably doomed.
Quote:
Exactly. This is the point that is always ignored when this particular talking point gets dragged out for another round of abuse. Actually I've heard that if the minimum wage had been indexed to inflation from jump, it would be closer to $20/hr. In NYC at least. If someone with a concentrated Associates is making $15/hr, the answer should not be to push minimum wage down, it should be to raise wages to those possessing higher education credentials. Ya think?! What a concept! But, but.. ... that means that people with BA, BS ... MS... well they should like make more than $35K.... you just can't do that! We'd go bankrupt paying all that money to so many people... ... In 1977 when I graduated HS, a college graduate in many industries would be looking at $60K. Those exact same industries now start grads at $35K. ???? Meanwhile the CEO of the company who made $500K/yr in 1977 makes 14M/yr in 2014. Do the math... can we afford to pay ALL Americans below the level of CEO more for their labor or not? I say "yes we can!".

H
I agree with you. Instead, the poor get poorer; the middle class keeps losing ground; and the CEO continues to multiply his wealth.

Welcome to America!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:00 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
They had these back in the 50s and 60s, they were called automats, and they ALL went out of business.

http://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/archive/automats-2/

Old 08-16-2014, 07:30 PM

128 posts, read 201,822 times
Lol damn, I think they all regret protesting the 15/hr! those job are easily replaceable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment